Discover the best SIM card for data in Mexico and enjoy unlimited internet connection on your cell phone. Here’s our 2022 comparison of the best way to access the internet in Mexico.
If you’re travelling around Mexico, you need internet connection to use applications like WhatsApp or Google Maps. But be aware that you’ll have to pay a costly bill if you use data roaming in Mexico from your existing carrier.
But if you get a Mexican international SIM card, you can visit Mexico City, Paraisos, or Cancun with unlimited data and domestic calls. And you’ll have no extra charges for international roaming when you return.
We’ll compare the best SIM Card options for Mexico, from data and coverage to usability and prices, so you can make the best decision. Get ready to save money.
- 1 Why buy a SIM card for Mexico?
- 2 Which SIM card for Mexico offers me the most data at the best price?
- 3 Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Mexico?
- 4 Buying Mexico SIM card in online shop
- 5 How much does a SIM card for Mexico cost?
- 6 Buying a SIM card in Mexico with Telcel, AT&T and Movistar
- 7 SIM card for Mexico, which to buy?
- 8 FAQ about Mexico SIM card
- 9 SIM cards for another destinations
Why buy a SIM card for Mexico?
Because you need to access the internet and using data from your existing provider is very expensive. There is a wide range of SIM cards available for data, which you can buy online (recommended) or when you arrive in Mexico.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF. Code: roaming5
Which SIM card for Mexico offers me the most data at the best price?
We recommend that you look for a SIM card with unlimited data and calls. Although they tend to be a bit more expensive, we tend to use more data than usual when we’re travelling, as we need to navigate with Google Maps, search for information on the internet, and share photos with family.
You don’t want to worry about running out of data or connection in the middle of a busy trip, right? That’s why we recommend a data plan that offers unlimited data.
We’ll show you a comparison with prices and data quality, so you can judge for yourself which option is best for you.
If you have already taken a look, you will see that the best option for data and calls is the Holafly data SIM card for Mexico. As well as being the cheapest option, it includes benefits such as unlimited data, 24/7 support, and free shipping.
We suggest Holafly’s data SIM cards for Mexico, the cheapest option, with AT&T network coverage and 4G speed.
Now, let’s get to know the SIM card options for your next holiday in Mexico, find out where to get them, their advantages, disadvantages, prices and the mobile operators you can use.
Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Mexico?
You can buy a prepaid card for from online shops like Holafly or in person when you arrive (in supermarkets, airport stands or shopping malls). Some are data-only SIM cards and others also include local calls.
Buying Mexico SIM card in online shop
We recommend buying a SIM card from Mexico before travelling. Buying an international SIM card to travel to Mexico before arriving at your destination is the best choice, as you won’t have to look for SIM cards when you arrive, or go around the airport stands or local shops without knowing the details of their offer or price.
Mexico SIM card from Holafly
With Holafly you get data SIM cards for Mexico with unlimited data at 4G speed for around €3 a day. With coverage provided by AT&T, one of the country’s best operators, Holafly offers 8 different options all with unlimited data:
|Days||Data amount GB||Price (€)||Price/day (€)|
Benefits of Holafly
- Keep your usual WhatsApp number and contacts.
- Unlimited data.
- You will be able to make and receive calls with your Mexico data Sim card.
- Technical support 24/7. By chat and email.
Limitations of Holafly
- You may need a card for a shorter or longer period than Holafly’s options.
Cellular Abroad Mexico SIM card
Cellular Abroad has a SIM that offers mobile data but with 3G speed, plus calls and SMS in Mexico for 30 days at €36,58.
- No extra charges for the card, just one upfront cost for data.
- Easily top-up and add data
- They offer you limited data, 3GB only.
- The number you will use will not be Mexican. It will be from the United States.
MrSimCard SIM card for Mexico
The MrSimCard has AT&T support, covers all of North America (the United States, Canada and Mexico), and offers you plans from 1GB of data to unlimited Internet. These cards also allow you to make calls.
- They have a good rate, charging from €23 to €91.63.
- Most of your data is at 4G speed.
- They charge you a double tariff (sim card at 1.82 € + data plan).
The platform charges you €4.57 for the activation service.
How much does a SIM card for Mexico cost?
You now know about the advantages of each SIM card, so let’s compare prices:
|Card costs (€)||Data price (€)||Shipping cost (€)||Data amount (GB)||Total cost (€)|
|Mr SIM Card||1,82 €||32,06||20,15||5||54,03|
(Holafly, Cellular Abroad y MrSIMCard)
The data sim card of Holafly provides you with unlimited data and domestic calls in Mexico during your trip. And it’s the cheapest of the three options, making it the SIM card we recommend if you’re going to Mexico.
Buying a SIM card in Mexico with Telcel, AT&T and Movistar
You can buy your SIM card at the airport in Mexico or in local shops, supermarkets. This is not the best option during the COVID-19 pandemic, as you might need to visit crowded places.
Be aware that some companies charge for the SIM card and mobile data separately. Other cards may prevent you from keeping your contacts on WhatsApp, offer limited data or have poor coverage. That’s why we recommend Holafly’s Mexico SIM cards.
Mexico has several operators and the most popular are Telcel, Movistar and AT&T.
If you want to buy your SIM card when you arrive, here are the SIM card rates for local mobile providers in Mexico.
With AT&T you have to buy the card and then top it up with the data plan of your choice. You can buy them in authorised shops, supermarkets (Walmart) and authorised resellers. Their rates range from less than €1 to €46.33 and they offer from 10MB to 7GB of data.
- The average price for data consumption is €0.035 per MB. (€1 costs 28 MB).
- There are 9 plans which last from one week to two months.
- 7 of the 9 plans offer unlimited use of WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter.
- You might have to show your passport to buy the SIM card and then register it before it can be activated.
- The plan that gives you almost 30MB for €1 does not give you unlimited calls and SMS.
- Coverage outside the country’s main cities is poor.
Telcel SIM card
As one of the best local providers in Mexico, Telcel offers the cheapest sim cards you can buy from the local stores (Walmart, Oxxo) and authorised resellers. The sim cards cost €1,39 – €23,17 with 1,5 MB and 20 MB.
- It offers an average rate of €0.039* per MB, slightly more expensive than AT&T but still cheap
- It offers seven different data plans
*26MB per Euro
- As with AT&T, you’ll have to show your passport to buy Telcel’s Data SIM cards, as well as registering them.
- Topping up your card can be complicated if you don’t verify that your top-up receipt is authentic, so you will need to contact the provider.
- There are no plans for longer than 30 days.
Movistar SIM cards cost £2.79, while top-up costs from £0.46 to £11.57 with a duration of 3 days (300 MB) to one month (3 GB). This card can be bought and topped up in specialised shops, supermarkets and authorised resellers.
- It has a plan called Prepaid Double Unlimited, which you can use throughout North America (Mexico, United States and Canada).
- Data plans for 1,2,3, or 7 days.
- Unlimited calls and SMS with 3 data plans.
- Like the previous options, you will always have to show your passport to buy the data sim card Mexico and register
- Like AT&T, Movistar has poor coverage if you are away from major cities.
- It does not have a plan for longer than 30 days.
SIM card for Mexico, which to buy?
With a variety of products, eight different models of SIM cards for travelling to Mexico, unlimited data at 4G speed, and coverage from the AT&T network, Holafly’s Mexico SIM card offers you the best price compared, a quality service, and unlimited local calls.
One of these benefits is that you keep your WhatsApp number so you can stay in touch with loved ones. You can also make and receive local calls in Mexico as if you were using a mobile phone with a local number.
You’ll receive the SIM card free of charge to your home before your trip to Mexico. Don’t forget the 24/7 tech support that Holafly offers, too.
Touch down at the airport and start surfing the internet right away with your Mexico SIM card!
FAQ about Mexico SIM card
You can buy a SIM card for tourists (recommended), pay for data roaming, rent a pocket WiFi, or connect to local WiFi networks for free.
The cost of roaming in Mexico depends on the offers provided by your mobile operator. They vary if you use contract or pay as you go, and if you are charged by megabytes downloaded or by closed data plans that are recharged as they are consumed. You should consider buying a prepaid SIM card for Mexico as an alternative to high costs.
When choosing a SIM card for Mexico, you should pay attention to value for money. Does it have unlimited data? Does it include a phone number, local calls and SMS? Will you be able to share data with other devices.
You can purchase these SIM cards before you travel, from online providers like Holafly, or when you arrive in Mexico at the airport and in local shops such as Walmart or Oxxo.
The price of a Mexico SIM card will depend on its data plan, days of validity and whether it provides you with a phone number in Mexico. For approximately €30 you can receive a SIM card at home with unlimited data and local calls for 7 days of travel.