Traveling through one of the continents with the richest history in the world is a must-do and a must-share! Visiting Berlin, Paris, and London is a thrilling experience that doesn’t just offer history and culture but also nightlife and entertainment. To be able to get around and have fun, you need a cellular internet connection in Europe.
The eSIM is easy to buy and even easier to set up. Get it online anywhere!
If you don’t know anything about eSIMs, don’t worry: we’ll explain everything you need to know, including their features, requirements, and prices. So, you can use your cellphone in Europe without any hassles.
What you should know about the European eSIM:
You must keep in mind that there are certain requirements to comply with for the eSIM to work on your phone, so keep reading below and keep this information in mind before buying. In case you don’t meet these requirements, you can always get a Europe SIM card.
- Your cellphone must be compatible with eSIM tech and check that your cellphone is also supported by the carrier or eSIM card provider. The iPhone XR and later models are compatible with most providers.
- You need an email address so you can receive your eSIM after you purchase it.
- It’s important you have an internet connection to activate your eSIM. Your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the provider after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their official app to download the eSIM.
Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Europe
If you have a compatible phone, you will be able to purchase and activate a Europe eSIM card. Take a look at the list below of companies that sell international eSIM cards.
Rates and data plans from the best eSIM providers for travel to Europe
Pay close attention to the prices of each provider so you can choose the one that suits you best. The plans we have listed are for Europe eSIM cards.
One of the best options to purchase an eSIM for your trip to Europe is with Holafly. This is an online store specializing in selling virtual SIM cards for travelers. Best of all, they offer an eSIM for Europe that will work in more than 30 countries in this region. In addition, it is important to mention that the different variants of Holafly’s eSIM for Europe offer unlimited data with calls.
Shopping with this store is quite simple. You only have to visit their website, search for your preferred destination, in this case, Europe, and choose the plan that best suits your trip, depending on the number of days of internet you need. Remember that no matter how many days you choose, with all of them, you will have unlimited data, which is a great advantage. Also, those iOS users can download the Holafly App on their phones and activate and manage all the eSIM information that way.
Pros of Holafly’s eSIM for Europe:
- Enjoy unlimited data throughout Europe
- Total of 120 minutes of talk-time.
- Get an Austrian number (+43)
- Easy to set up and activate.
- You will enjoy mobile data in 32 European countries.
- Keep your WhatsApp number on your cellphone.
- Enjoy 24/7 customer service.
Cons of Holafly’s eSIM for Europe:
- No messages included.
- You can’t share data with other devices.
Au by KDDI
This Japanese mobile operator focuses on selling phone services like eSIMs, which are largely aimed at travelers who intend to do business or travel for work overseas. Download their phone app, “My au,” which is available for Android and iOs, in order to buy the eSIM from this company. After downloading it, you must set up an account on the app, specify your preferred payment method, and select the desired plan.
You have two plans to pick from with this company. The fact that both are for 30 days, with the distinction being that one will give you 5GB and the other 8GB, is a significant drawback. The first cost around $42 and the second $65.
Pros of Au by KDDI eSIM:
- Your dual SIM device will automatically switch to the local network once you are at your destination.
- No QR code scanning, the eSIM will activate itself.
- You can share data with other devices.
Cons of Au by KDDI eSIM:
- All of their tariffs are for 30 days.
- You must download their app to make the purchase.
- The eSIM is not compatible with many phones.
Finally, Flexiroam is another international carrier with which you can purchase an eSIM with data for your trip to Europe. Their eSIMs are perfect for both corporate travelers and frequent tourists. Among the most relevant features of this company is that although you will not have unlimited data as in the case of Holafly, you will be able to top up your eSIM.
To purchase Flexiroam’s eSIM, you will need to visit their website, search for your travel destination, and choose the plan you prefer. Then you will need to check out to proceed with the purchase. Their only payment method is via credit card, which could be a disadvantage. Also, to activate the eSIM, you will have to install their mobile app and install through it.
Pros of Flexiroam eSIM for Europe:
- You can top-up the eSIM from the application.
- You can share data with other devices through Flexishare or by creating a hotspot.
- You will be able to choose from many data plan options.
Cons of Flexiroam eSIM for Europe:
- You can install many eSIM profiles but don’t use more of one simultaneously.
- To activate the eSIM you must download their App.
- You don’t get a phone number, so you can’t make phone calls or send texts.
Comparison of best eSIM providers for Europe
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Sales channels|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||5||$19||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||7||$27||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||10||$34||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||15||$47||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||20||$54||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||30||$64||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||60||$87||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan with calls||90||$99||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||$42.50||English, Japanese||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||$65.50||English, Japanese||App Store, Google Play|
What is the best eSIM for Europe?
Having considered all the options, Holafly is the best eSIM provider for Europe. It’s an unlimited data eSIM that offers several different deals depending on your needs.
What makes Holafly the best choice for your travels to Europe?
- Unlimited cellular data – eSIMs include unlimited cellular data. Prices are from $1.00 to $3.80/day.
- Included talk-time – As a new feature, Holafly’s included 60 minutes to receive calls and 60 minutes to make calls. Additionally, you get an Austrian number (+43) with your eSIM!
- Instant delivery! – no waiting around, just scan the QR code sent to your email, and you’ll be able to connect right away!
- Keep your WhatsApp number – you’ll have to keep all your current contacts and conversations even with a new SIM card.
- Easy to use – it’s simple to set up a Holafly eSIM, but if you experience any problems, just contact their 24-hour customer support team.
Features of eSIMs for travel to Europe
eSIMs are different from physical SIMs. Here’s what you need to know about eSIM cards for Europe:
- Just data. Most eSIM cards do not offer cellphone calls. We recommend using apps such as Skype or WhatsApp if you need to call someone.
- Remember, an eSIM can be installed only once, so if you encounter any issues with your eSIM card, don’t remove it from your cellphone. Instead, contact your eSIM carrier.
- Some eSIMs set up automatic APNs.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone. This depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- With your dual sim iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Europe but remember to configure your iPhone to avoid surprise bills later on!
Mobile internet coverage map for travel to Europe
International eSIM provider coverage is very important to consider beforehand. Bear in mind that sometimes cheap eSIM cards have poor coverage. The eSIM cards that will offer you the best network coverage on your trip to Europe are those that have the most roaming agreements with the main eSIM carriers, such as Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, or Yoigo. See below the coverage map for the main operators.
Movistar 3G coverage map in Europe
Vodafone 3G coverage map in Europe
Orange 3G coverage map in Europe
Local cellphone providers offering eSIM in Europe
Did you know? The continent with the highest concentration of countries with the fastest internet connections in the world is Europe!
The eSIM provides most of the features as traditional SIM cards, like the mini-SIM, nano-SIM, or micro-SIM.
See the below list of European cellphone operators that have enabled eSIM technology for their users. You should remember that these are not intended for travelers, although there are exceptions.
Movistar eSIM in Europe
If you are a Movistar customer or you wish to get an eSIM with this operator, this section will help you to clarify doubts. Initially, you should know that not all cell phones are compatible with the Movistar eSIM for Europe. Some of the cell phones compatible with the technology are:
- APPLE: From the iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later models all that way to the iPhone 14. Also, iPad Pro and Apple Watch.
- Samsung: Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Fold and Samsung Galaxy Flip, Samsung Galaxy S20 and S21 and Samsung Galaxy Watch, and Active2.
- Motorola: Rarz and Rarz 5G, Xplora X5 Play
- Huawei: P40
- Oppo: OPPO Watch
Where to get the Movistar eSIM for Europe?
To enjoy the Movistar eSIM service, you need to go to a Movistar Shop or dial 1004. Accordingly, Movistar provides an activation card. It is very similar to the traditional SIM card purchase, you must enter the necessary data to activate the Movistar eSIM on your device. Basically PIN, PUK and a QR code that comes with the activation card.
How to activate the Movistar eSIM?
- Go to the settings option.
- Go to mobile/cellular data.
- Click on add mobile/cellular data plan.
- Scan the QR Code.
- Confirm the chosen data plan.
- You are now connected.
For other devices such as watches or bracelets like Apple Watch or Samsung Galaxy Watch, you will need to follow the instructions in the guides provided by Movistar.
Vodafone eSIM in Europe
Vodafone is a multinational cellular, fixed-line, broadband, and digital TV operator headquartered in Newbury, Berkshire, UK. It is present in many countries and is the second-largest telecommunications operator in the world in terms of the number of customers.
Vodafone eSIM-compatible devices
Below is a list of devices compatible with the Vodafone eSIM:
- APPLE: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 11″ Wi-Fi + Cellular version, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad, and iPad Mini with iOS version 12.1 or later, currently iPhone 14.
- Samsung: Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21+5G, S21+Ultra 5G, Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Note 20 Ultra 5G, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Galaxy Z Fold3 5G, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and Samsung Watch (via Samsung Wearable app).
- Huawei: P40, P40+, Mate 40 Pro and Huawei P50
- Oppo: Reno6 Pro 5G, Reno 5 A, Find X5 Pro 5G, Find X5 5G, Find X3 Pro, A55s.
- Sony: Xperia 10 III Lite, Xperia 1 IV.
- Motorola: Razr 5G, Razr 2019.
- Google: Pixel 2 (though not dual SIM, and 2XL); Google Pixel 3, 3XL, 3rd, 3rd XL; Google Pixel 4, 4th, 4th XL; Google Pixel 5 and Google Pixel 6.
What is the price of the Vodafone eSIM?
The price of the Vodafone eSIM is around $6 for customers who want to switch from physical sim to eSIM. But if you are a new customer of the operator, you can get the Vodafone eSIM completely free of charge.
How to activate the Vodafone eSIM?
To activate the eSIM with Vodafone, you must go to any Vodafone physical shop, and the shop’s commercial advisor will help you.
In the shop, they will give you a voucher that they have previously associated in the systems to your number, with a printed QR code that you must scan to download your customer profile in the chip of your phone and activate the eSIM.
To scan and activate the eSIM from your cellphone, follow these steps:
- Go to “Settings” > “Mobile/Cellular data” and select “Add mobile/cellular data plan”.
- Scan the QR of the eSIM.
- You can then activate and rename the different data plans.
- Enter the eSIM activation PIN, which is given to you in the shop together with the PUK, and you can now enjoy your active eSIM on your smartphone.
Orange eSIM in Europe
The Orange eSIM has positioned itself with this new technology, which has been gradually replacing the existing traditional SIM cards. Allowing users to switch to this virtual eSIM tech on high-end cell phones.
Advantages of Orange Virtual eSIM in Europe
- Use new devices on the market that are compatible.
- Improved internet connection.
- Improves the service subscription experience.
- Avoid having to manipulate a traditional SIM.
- Optimizing the design of cellular devices.
What you need to purchase the Orange eSIM Service in Europe
You just need to have a compatible and approved eSIM device on the Orange network. You can apply for a virtual eSIM card to access the cellular network. They have the option of eSIM for your main line and eSIM for the secondary line.
Steps to activate the Orange eSIM in Europe
The single user must go to an authorized Orange physical shop and request to replace the SIM with a virtual eSIM for a fee of 5 dollars. Here is how the activation works:
For activation, you must go to an authorized retailer or call customer service and request to replace the traditional SIM with an eSIM. They will send you a voucher by mail with a QR code, PIN code, and PUK code. Then you just have to enter the configuration of your device, follow the instructions and finally scan the QR code from the PDF sent to your email.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Europe.
See frequently asked questions you might have before purchasing your eSIM to travel to Europe.
It is not necessary to present a passport, but some suppliers do require your address.
No, the eSIM for Europe does not allow you to share data.
iPhone 11 is eSIM compatible, so if you want to use an eSIM for Europe with this Apple device, you just need to obtain an eSIM from an international eSIM store and follow the installation steps from the carrier.
Install the eSIM with a QR code from your email, choose it as the default data medium, turn on your data and data roaming, and your virtual SIM will work. Contact the company for more advice.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.