Every month a new device appears, bringing new and improved hardware for cellphones. Years ago, it was impossible to imagine traveling around the world with technology different from roaming, and over the years there has been a struggle for this service to be better and cheaper.
Today, the situation is different. Even though roaming is changing, it’s still too expensive. Competition has been following through and the latest one is called eSIM. But, do you know everything you need to know about eSIM?
- 1 What is eSIM?
- 2 Advantages of an eSIM card
- 3 Compatible devices for the Orange eSIM
- 4 How to activate an eSIM card with Orange?
- 5 How to activate an eSIM on an iPhone?
- 6 How to activate an eSIM in your Apple Watch?
- 7 How to activate an eSIM in your Galaxy Watch?
- 8 How to activate an eSIM in your Huawei?
- 9 Orange eSIM: Frequently asked questions
- 10 Alternatives to an Orange eSIM card
What is eSIM?
The eSIM, also known as Virtual SIM, will set the difference within a few years, as it will substitute the physical card we know today. The size of this new technology is 90% smaller than what we are used to, the size of a nano-SIM. Precisely for this situation, manufacturers will insert it directly into the devices they produce so users can benefit from this in the future.
Its name is not “electronic SIM” as it may seem. In this case, we are talking about “embedded SIM”. Why? Because it is integrated into the electronic device: laptop, tablet, smartphone, smartwatch, etc.
On one hand, there is the hardware: the part integrated into the device, on the other hand, the software: downloaded through QR code to connect to the internet with the operator we choose, in this case, Orange.
Advantages of an eSIM card
There are plenty of advantages to an eSIM card. Let’s start by naming a few: finding new uses in existing devices, making easier connections between devices or making contracted services with companies better, and even saving money being thanks to more technological processes.
There is also the elimination of the physical card, which provides fewer problems on the long fun. As an interesting point, you will be able to download various subscriptions on the same device, but only one card may be activated at a time (except Dual SIM devices).
Another interesting advantage in the device’s designs, as the card is a lot smaller, the design can be optimized because of the gained space. The spot where we used to place and extract the SIM card can now be used for other things.
Compatible devices for the Orange eSIM
Among the different cellular providers, we can see that Movistar or Vodafone limits the number of devices you can use. This regulation is changing, but at the moment, Orange offers broader possibilities if we compare it to the other companies we just mentioned.
The devices you may use with the eSIM technology in Orange are:
- Huawei Watch 2
- Galaxy Watch 4G
- iPhone XS, XS MAX y XR
- Apple Watch Serie 4 y 3 Cellular
- iPad Pro
How to activate an eSIM card with Orange?
The easiest thing you can do is to go to an Orange store and ask for an eSIM card. This way, you will change your regular SIM card for this new one, and you may use the new tariffs Orange offers.
Once you get this new eSIM card, you will have to use the QR code as we explained before, including the PIN and PUK numbers. If you have any doubts, the best thing is to ask directly in the store so you reduce the hassles in the future.
MultiSIM service with Orange: thanks to this option, you have the possibility to enjoy more phone numbers on just one device. You can have a SIM card and add an eSIM. In any case, you must go to an Orange store, go to the client’s area on the webpage, or call 1470 or 1471.
The price for this eSIM card with Orange is usually 5€, but it varies depending on the service requested. It may even be free in some cases. It’s important (and recommended) to always be aware of the conditions and to read the fine print.
How to activate an eSIM on an iPhone?
On Orange’s web page, you may see that the operating system needed for this is an iOS 12.1.1 or after. Once you have this, just proceed with the following steps to allow your iPhone to use this eSIM card:
- Go to settings, cellular data, add data plan.
- Scan your QR code provided by Orange.
- Configure and confirm the cellular plan that better adapts to your needs.
- Check your actual situation so you may choose between your regular chip, your SIM or your eSIM.
- Once in this step, just enter your PIN number and use your iPhone as usual.
How to activate an eSIM in your Apple Watch?
Remember that first, you have to have your iPhone configured correctly. What does this mean? It means that if your iPhone doesn’t have an operating eSIM card, you will not be able to activate the eSIM in your Apple Watch. Once you have this ready, this is how you proceed:
Open the Watch app on your iPhone and select cellular data. Enter your user name and password in the Orange client’s spaces and accept the terms and conditions. Once you do this, you will have an operating MultiSIM service to use the eSIM and you will receive a confirmation message you must accept.
How to activate an eSIM in your Galaxy Watch?
We have seen that with the Apple Watch there are some necessary steps to follow previous to the configuration process of your device. The same thing happens with the Galaxy. To use it, you must have an Android cellphone 5.0 or an iPhone 5 (iOS 9 minimum) and 1.5GB RAM or further.
To continue, go to settings, connections, Bluetooth, and check that the option stays activated for the next following minutes. The next step is to check that the cellphone has an internet connection and that the Galaxy Watch is charged enough for the configuration process. If you are already using this device, then you just have to go to settings, connect a new phone and change it easily.
Now, we will explain how to activate your eSIM in your Galaxy Watch, step by step:
- Begin by starting the Galaxy Wearable app from your cellphone.
- Place your Galaxy Watch near your phone and press “connect to new wearable”.
- Important: you must connect to the mobile network with a QR code. In this case, you have to find the correct network and search for “use code” so it will activate with the QR scanning system.
- Then, scan the QR code of the eSIM card Orange gave you.
- Finally, connect the device and you will be able to make and receive calls from your Galaxy Watch.
How to activate an eSIM in your Huawei?
Briefly, just download these two apps: Wear OS and Huawei Wear. After, just follow the instructions to sync the devices and use the card correctly. Finally, click “mobile communications” in the Huawei Wear app and scan the QR code to activate the eSIM card in your Huawei.
Orange eSIM: Frequently asked questions
- Is all my information and data securely stored in the eSIM card? You sure your information is stored securly. The eSIM cards are for one user only. Once they are used in one device, they cannot be used again. The eSIM card only stores the necessary configuration information so that Orange can offer you their service.
- What if a device with an eSIM is stolen? Do as you would if your cellphone was stolen with a SIM card. Call Orange immediately, explain your situation, ask for a blockage of your eSIM and as for a new one.
- When resetting my device, do I loose all my content? No, if you need to reset your device, your data will not be lost.
- Is it possible to change the eSIM card from one device to another? No. This type of technology can only be activated once. If you need to change devices, you have to do the whole process all over again.
Alternatives to an Orange eSIM card
If you are thinking of traveling abroad, you will be thinking of beautiful beaches, historical sites or museums instead of calculating the money you will spend with internet or calls to your family and friends. Here is the main question: do you have a device that allows eSIM technology? Because if not, we have a great option for you.
Today, roaming services work perfectly, but we may see perfectly that their prices are extremely expensive. In some companies, the MB can go up to 12€, and the idea is to try to save as much as possible. Among many options, we have found that Holafly is the best option because it allows you to use your devices with internet without any hassles.
Where are you planning on traveling to? Depending on your destination, the prices and conditions may vary. Just so you have a broad idea, here in Roami we have made a table with some destinations and prices so you can compare:
|Country||Tariff 1||Tariff 2||Tariff 3||Tariff 4||Tariff 5||Tariff 6||Tariff 7||Tariff 8|
|EE.UU||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15 days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
|Thailand||8 days, 3 GB 17€||12 days, 4 GB 26€|
|Canada||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
|China||7 days, 2 GB 27€||15 days, 2 GB 29€||30 days 3 GB 36€|
|Mexico||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15 days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
You can see that depending on the number of days you will be traveling, it makes more sense to get a Holafly SIM card or another, but the objective, in any case, is the same, to save money. It’s a very user-friendly and easy service and they deliver the card free of charge to your home. From what we have heard so far, we only have positive feedback!