Planning a last-minute trip to Spain can be exhausting, especially when you need to be connected to the internet from the first day, and surely you know how expensive it can be to use roaming abroad. Therefore, to make this process easier and avoid excessive charges, we present to you the eSIM, a virtual SIM card.
The main advantage of the eSIM is that you can get it easily and in less time than pocket wifi for Spain or a traditional physical SIM card, since it is usually sent almost immediately after purchase via email and the best thing is that in this article we will teach you everything you need to know about eSIMs, how they work, the market providers and a comparison of their plans and prices. So you can use your cell phone in Spain.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF. Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Spain
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Spain
- 3 Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Spain
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Spain
- 5 Features of eSIMs for travel to Spain
- 6 eSIM coverage for travel to Spain
- 7 Local mobile operators offering eSIM in Spain
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Spain
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM card Spain
eSIMs are very useful and practical when traveling to destinations such as Spain because of their easy access and use, but the first thing we suggest before you buy an eSIM is to check the requirements and so that you don’t have to look for them, we have listed the main requirements when buying an eSIM to Spain.
- The first thing to consider is whether your cellphone is compatible with an eSIM: in addition to that, also check that it’s supported by the eSIM carrier. We anticipate that the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the companies providing the virtual SIM.
- You must have an email address to register in order to receive your eSIM.
- The third thing is that you must have an internet connection to install it, since your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers, this can be done from a Wifi zone in Spain.
- Finally, it is important to know that some providers will require you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Spain
As we mentioned at the beginning, the purpose of this article is to facilitate the process of acquiring an eSIM to Spain. For this reason, we have prepared a list of eSIM card providers on the market. Keep in mind that these companies sell international eSIM cards to be used for tourism or business trips abroad, which is why they are very practical.
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Spain
We know that knowing the companies that sell eSIM is not enough, so we have prepared a list with the prices and plans of each of these companies so you can choose the one that best suits your travel plan or budget. Just keep in mind that the price variation of each of these plans may occur for various reasons, either coverage, payment methods or previous roaming agreements.
Holafly unlimited data plans and prices in Spain:
- Unlimited data for 5 days at $19 USD
- Unlimited data for 15 days at $47 USD
- Unlimited data for 30 days at $64 USD
- Unlimited data for 90 days at $99 USD
SIM2Fly plans and prices in Spain
- 6Gb for 15 days at $44.08 USD
TravelSIM plans and prices in Spain
- 3GB for 30 days at $35.68 USD
- 3GB for 14 days at $28.21 USD
- 1GB for 5 days at $10.82 USD
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for USA)
Comparison of eSIM providers for Spain
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5||$19 USD||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||15||$47 USD||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||30||$64 USD||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||90||$99 USD||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
Features of eSIMs for travel to Spain
Knowing an eSIMs’ capabilities, features and differences is the best way to get the most out of it during your trip. In order for you to do so, we have created a list with all the information, so your trip to Spain will be the best.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer analog calls, only data. But with the plans offered you can communicate by voice using apps such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you experience problems with your virtual card, do not remove it from your cellphone, instead contact your eSIM provider instead.
- Keep in mind that, not all, but some eSIMs configure the automatic APN.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, this depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- With your dual SIM iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Spain. Remember to configure your iPhone to avoid surprise bills.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
eSIM coverage for travel to Spain
When you are reviewing the specifications of the eSIM with your provider, do not forget to ask about the coverage offered, as coverage is usually different in each region. To give you more information on this topic, we present the coverage map of the national carriers: Movistar, Orange, Vodafone and Yoigo.
The above is important as eSIM companies handle certain roaming contracts with these national carriers.
Movistar 4G coverage map in Spain
Orange 4G coverage map in Spain
Vodafone 4G coverage map in Spain
Yoigo 4G coverage map in Spain
Local mobile operators offering eSIM in Spain
Did you know that if you are a Spanish resident you can opt to change your traditional physical SIM to an eSIM? Below we list the operators that have this service available, remember that if you are going to make this change, these companies will ask you for certain information and you need to meet some requirements. Keep in mind that the eSIMs offered by these operators are for residents not for travelers, although there are some exceptions.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Spain
We hope you found the information in this article useful, however, we have prepared some common questions that users often have when purchasing an Unlimited data eSIM to travel to Spain. If you have more questions, we are here to help you in the comments.
The local eSIM from Movistar or Orange are mainly intended for people living in Spain. The international eSIM for Spain from Holafly or SIM2Fly, is used to connect to Mobile Internet in Spain.
It is not necessary to present a passport, some providers do require your address. This applies only for the tourist eSIM. Not for the eSIM offered by Movistar or Orange, who will ask for your information.
No, the eSIM for Spain does not allow you to share data.
After installing the virtual SIM profile you must choose it as the default cellular medium, turn on data and roaming and your virtual SIM should be working.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.
The days start counting down from the moment you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Cell phones compatible with eSIM Spain are increasing every day. Remember that if you reside in a European or Latin country and plan to travel to Spain, it is essential that you carry a cell phone compatible with both eSIM and its bands, because if you do not, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones on which you can install and activate an eSIM Spain. Make sure first that the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
The eSIM is the evolution of the traditional SIM cards for Spain. The eSIM works thanks to a chip inserted inside the cell phone, which allows storing and configuring the profile. To learn more we encourage you to read: what is eSIM and how it works.