Are you traveling to the USA this year? Well, prepare for the trip of a lifetime, but make sure you’ve thought about connecting to the internet during your travels. In this article, we’ll explain why an eSIM for traveling in the USA is the best way to connect to the internet and how you can buy one.
The eSIM (short for “embedded SIM“) is a virtual SIM card which is what everyone’s talking about. An eSIM for USA travel will provide you with cheap, reliable, and fast internet that can be shared on several devices.
We’ll compare the best companies that offer an eSIM for the USA, so you can be sure you’ll get the best deal.
- 1 What you need to know about the USA eSIM
- 2 eSIM card providers when you travel to the USA
- 3 Rates and data plans from eSIM carriers to travel to the USA
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for the United States
- 5 Features of the eSIM for the USA
- 6 What is the best eSIM for the USA?
- 7 eSIM coverage to travel to the USA
- 8 Local phone carriers offering eSIM in the USA
- 9 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in the USA
- 10 eSIM for other destinations
What you need to know about the USA eSIM
eSIM technology is still relatively new, so not all phones are compatible. Here’s everything you need to check before you buy:
- Your cell phone must be compatible with an eSIM card. Also, check that your cell phone is supported by the carrier or eSIM card provider. The iPhone XR and later models using Android are compatible with most providers.
- You need an email address to receive your eSIM.
- You need an internet connection to activate your eSIM. Your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the provider after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
eSIM card providers when you travel to the USA
If your phone is not compatible with the eSIM, we recommend a prepaid SIM card for the USA, which comes with unlimited data. But if you do have a compatible phone, it’s time to find the right product for you,
Let’s take a look at the companies that sell international eSIM cards:
- Au by KDDI
Rates and data plans from eSIM carriers to travel to the USA
Let’s take a look at the different companies that offer an eSIM for the USA. Keep in mind that your choice will depend on the needs you have during your trip, however, having an eSIM with unlimited data will always be a good option, so you will avoid running short of data and will be able to enjoy your vacation.
Holafly unlimited data plans and prices in the United States:
- Unlimited data for 5 days at $19 USD
- Unlimited data for 15 days at $47 USD
- Unlimited data for 30 days at $64 USD
- Unlimited data for 90 days at $99 USD
Gigsky rates and prices in the USA:
- 1GB for 1 day at $10
- 3GB for 15 days at $25
- 5GB for 30 days at $40
Au by KDDI plans and rates for the USA:
- 5GB for 30 days at $52
- 8GB for 30 days at $81
Comparison of eSIM providers for the United States
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Sales channels|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan||5||$19||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan||15||$47||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan||30||$64||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data plan||90||$99||Web|
|Gigsky||1GB||1||$10||App Store, Google Play|
|Gigsky||3GB||15||$25||App Store, Google Play|
|Gigsky||5GB||30||$40||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||$52||Web|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||$81||Web|
Features of the eSIM for the USA
To get the most out of your eSIM card, we’ve prepared some important information to bear in mind so that your trip to the USA is worry-free.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer mobile calls, only data. You can use apps like WhatsApp or Skype instead.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you’re experiencing problems with your eSIM card do not remove it from your mobile and contact your eSIM provider instead.
- Some eSIMs set up automatic APNs.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data between devices.
- With your dual SIM iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Europe.
What is the best eSIM for the USA?
Having considered all the options, Holafly is the best eSIM for the USA. It’s an unlimited mobile data eSIM that offers several different deals depending on your needs.
What makes Holafly the best choice for your travels to the USA?
- Unlimited mobile data plans
- Instant delivery! – no waiting around, just scan the QR code sent to your email and you’ll be able to connect right away!
- Keep your WhatsApp number – you’ll have keep all your current contacts and conversations even with a new SIM card
- Easy to use – it’s simple to set up a Holafly eSIM, but if you have any problems just contact their 24-hour customer support team.
eSIM coverage to travel to the USA
It’s important to consider your eSIM’s coverage. And remember that sometimes cheap eSIM cards have poor coverage, possibly leaving you without internet when you need it most. Let’s take a look at the main providers in the USA and find out which ones offer the best connection.
4G, LTE, AT&T coverage map in the U.S.
T-Mobile’s 4G, LTE network coverage in the U.S.
Verizon 4G, LTE coverage map in USA
Local phone carriers offering eSIM in the USA
For people living in the USA who want an eSIM card or change their traditional physical SIM card, we present the mobile operators in the country that already have eSIM. Keep in mind that these eSIM carriers have eSIMs only for residents and not for travelers, although there are exceptions.
- T-Mobile Prepaid eSIM
- eSIM AT&T
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in the USA
Let’s take a look at the questions we’re often asked about buying an eSIM for the USA.
No, but some providers may require your address.
Sharing is caring, right? Well with an eSIM from Holafly you can share data between devices, so your family and friends can connect too.
Install the eSIM with a QR code from your email, chose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on mobile data and data roaming, and your virtual SIM will work. Contact the company if you have any problems.
Yes, just like physical cards, international eSIM cards also have an expiration date.