AU is an online store or e-commerce brand for cellular connectivity technology, part of KDDI the Japanese multinational founded in the last century through the merger of DDI, KDDD, and IDO, its current name is KDDI Corporation (KDDI) established in early 2000s. One of AU’s main products is the eSIM AU by KDDI, AU’s electronic SIM. Additionally, the company offers a wide variety of cellular connectivity products such as iPhones, iPads, smartwatches, home WiFi connection equipment, WiFi pockets, and many other hardware applications for Japanese citizens and all kinds of visitors around the world.
In this article, we want to take you on a tour of the main products and services offered by AU to its customers and users worldwide, we will discuss the features, the processes to get the eSIM AU by KDDI, the installation and processes involved as well as the advantages and disadvantages. Towards the end of the article sections, we will discuss topics related to the constitution of the organization at different levels, the company’s emergence, founders and managers, headquarters, and offices. Stay tuned to find out how to operate AU by KDDI on eSIM.
Recommendations for the AU traveler
If you have a cellphone from a foreign operator, you can use AU’s domestic network by subscribing to the international roaming service provided by the foreign operator.
AU KDDI Product Line By KDDI
AU offers different cellular and non-cellular devices for internet access, the line of smartphones and iPads are intended for those who want to connect to AU services directly in Japan, this decision may favor you in case you are planning to travel and buy a cellphone there to connect with AU by KDDI roaming services.
Cellphones and smart devices.
IOS smartphones, iPads, cellphones, tablets, WiFi routers, smartphones for children, simple cellphones, data communication terminals for IoT ( Internet of Things ) WiFi routers for the home and photo storage terminals (4G LTE) are all devices in the technological product line of the AU store. The line is focused on specific consumer areas, from entertainment for children or teenagers to communication within the home.
- iPhone 12 Pro / iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 / iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone SE (2ª generation)
- iPhone 11 Pro / iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone X S / iPhone X S Max
- iPhone X R
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 / iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 / iPhone 7 Plus
AU By KDDI Programs and Entertainment Line
Among the most varied offerings in the AU store are content related to video, music, books, entertainment, news, Disney and games, including redemption programs.
- Apple Music
Apple Music is an entertainment music service, from Apple where you can find the latest content in musical tastes, subscription availability at any time of the day. The average rate is Apple Music $9.45 USD (taxes included), the first month is free and the subscription agreement is valid for six months.
Roaming with AU direct in Japan
If you purchase a cellphone from a foreign operator, you can use AU’s domestic network by subscribing to the international roaming service provided by the foreign operator. Of course this is limited to foreign operators that have roaming agreements with KDDI.
3. Travel Data SIM
Travel Data eSIM is a data service that is available to customers on extended stays abroad. In the app, you can purchase a data plan valid for a 30-day period. KDDI will use IDEMIA’s Smart Connect platform for its eSIM management technology to provide cellular connectivity to Japanese business users. This will enable employees in the field to connect anytime, anywhere, without having to wait for Wi-Fi connectivity or manage physical SIM cards.
AU by KDDI eSIM: what is it and what does it consist of?
eSIM AU is an electronic SIM or embedded SIM, a technology that unlike other physical devices such as SIM cards and SIM stickers allows you to connect to the cellular internet without the need to manually insert anything. eSIM is revolutionizing information technology for global cellphone connections, due to the ease with which it can be purchased, installed and used.
One of the main advantages of eSIM is being able to be connected to two cellular connectivity providers on one device whether it is a smartphone, tablet or iPad at the same time. AU’s electronic eSIM card works only on iOS devices, i.e. iPads and iPhones.
Opinion or review about the AU by KDDI eSIM
AU by KDDI’s eSIM is primarily intended for travelers planning to do work or business abroad. Selling eSIM in Japan with Gigsky as its provider, its prices are higher than its competitors. It also offers only 2 plans ranging from 5 GB and 8 GB. However, the company maintains these rates because that is its market.
Alternatives to eSIM AU by KDDI
Depending on how you are going to use your connection, whether for data or calls, there is an excellent alternative. This option is called Holafly, which also offers service through eSIM cards and physical SIM cards with international connectivity for your trips abroad and to avoid paying roaming charges.
If you are an employee, traveler, or company that is looking for options to have internet on your business trips or vacations, Holafly can also work for you. This company offers a wide variety of rates and destinations, in some cases with unlimited data plans, for example in the United States, Japan, Mexico and Canada. Check the links to take a look at Holafly’s international data SIM cards and data eSIMs.
How does AU by KDDI eSIM work?
There are many rating and remarks about how complicated it can be to use eSIM technology, including the purchase process, the installation, the devices in which it can be used and its conditions (about its compatibility) as well as the price. However, the reason for writing this article is to provide clarity on the procedures, suggestions and recommendations on how to use an eSIM without complications.
AU by KDDI eSIM Plans
Know the prices that best suit you, depending on the days of duration you choose and the amount of data you need to have excellent travel experiences.
|Global Plan||Quantity (Gigabytes)||Duration (days)||Plan price according to GB (USD)|
|Asia, North America, Oceania, Europe, Middle East, South America.||5 GB||30 days||55.98 USD|
|Asia, North America, Oceania, Europe, Middle East, South America.||8 GB||30 days||85.90 USD|
Please note that:
The validity period starts the moment you start using data in the coverage area, and lasts for a full 30 days, up to the same time of the day you started using them. The period and amount of data are selected in advance, so there are no additional charges to worry about.
Excise tax is excluded from the usage fees of each international service.
eSIM AU by KDDI operating destinations
Below is the official list of countries where AU By KDDI roaming data is available, we hope you find your destination here.
AU By KDDI, Asia
- South Korea
- Hong Kong
AU By KDDI, Europe
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland
- Azores Islands
AU By KDDI, North America
- Continental U.S.A.
- United States (Alaska)
AU By KDDI, Oceania
- Republic of Kiribati
- New Zealand
AU By KDDI, Central and South America
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Commonwealth of Dominica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Why purchase eSIM data from AU By KDDI?
- The first advantage is that there is no need to purchase physical cards.
- With an AU By KDDI data eSIM there is no need to wait for activations.
- No QR code scanning.
- Your Dual SIM device will automatically switch to the local network once you are at your destination.
- No packaging and no waste.
- eSIMs are not only easier, they are also more environmentally friendly.
- Everything is electronic, so you can travel light and leave no trace.
How to purchase the AU By KDDI roaming data eSIM?
In this section, we will discuss the steps you must follow to purchase eSIM data plans from AU By KDDI, you must download the cellphone app available for iOS and Android.
Time needed: 20 minutes
Step-by-step to get roaming data through AU By KDDI eSIM
- Download application.
Android: Search for “My au” in Google Play / au Market * 1. The download destination of the app may be different depending on the model.
IOS: Search for “My au” in the App Store.
- From the application create an account
Once you have downloaded the application from any of the IOS or Android you must register with your email data under AU policies, you can access further services such as top-up balance through your personal account.
- Set your payment method.
From the app you can choose the payment method you want to use.
- Buy a plan and download your eSIM data.
Choose the plan that best suits your conditions and needs according to the predetermined destination.
- Automatic activation of eSIM AU By KDDI plan
After arriving at your destination, you will be able to start using the plan automatically through connections to local networks.
Additional services to eSIM AU By KDDI
World Data Flat-rate
It is AU’s overseas data service that allows you to use your regular smartphone as it is in more than 150 countries and regions abroad.
For a fee of USD 4.73 (For 24 hours), you can use the capacity of your subscription data plan in Japan overseas and data communication at the time you wish to use it at your travel destination.
In addition, since data communication stops automatically at the time of termination, you don’t have to worry about overuse and can safely use data abroad.
Why should I choose this service in Japan?
If you go to Canada after you start using it in the United States you can also continue to use the service there. You can use it across countries/regions as long as it is within the target area and coverage of the Global data plan rate. This service is perfect for excursions for example.
- Unlike Wi-Fi router rental, there are no additional costs such as loss protection, and you can make a reservation to start using it according to the time of arrival abroad, not from the day of departure, so it is really cheap considering the total period of the trip.
- Carrying a Wi-Fi router, worrying about the battery? It’s hard to borrow it or return it. With a worldwide data flat rate, just use your regular smartphone the same way you would in Japan. With no need to worry, you can focus on local activities.
How to obtain the World Data Flat-rate service?
- Download the app in Japan and make initial settings: If you are using an Au (4G LTE) cellphone, you cannot use the application.
Android: Search for “World Data Flat-rate App” on Google Play.
iOS: Search for “World Data Flat-rate” or “World Data Flat-rate App in Apple Store” or follow the instructions.
2. Log into the app and make a reservation.
3. You can also start using it abroad without making a reservation. Click here to learn how to use it if you do not make a reservation.
4. Install it on the terminal or device: activate data roaming.
5. Disable airplane mode, disable Wi-Fi. You will be able to use data automatically when the reserved start time of use is reached. Data communication will end automatically when the end time is reached.
Note: Changes/cancellations can be made up to 1 hour before the start date and time of use.
Please note the following conditions of use:
- You must be subscribed to the Data Rate (free of charge).
- The amount of data and communication used is as follows:
- “Pack Data MAX 5G ALL STAR”,
- “Pack Data MAX 5G TV”,
- “Pack Data MAX 5G Netflix (P)”,
- “Pack Data MAX 5G Netflix” and “Data MAX 5G with Amazon Prime”.
- “Data MAX 5G”
- “Plan Pitatto 5G”
- “Plan Pitatto 5G (s)”
- “Data MAX 4G LTE TV Pack”.
- “Netflix Data MAX 4G LTE Netflix Pack”.
- “Data MAX 4G LTE” “Plan Pitatto 4G LTE (s)” “Plan Pitatto 4G LTE (s)”
- The monthly data capacity of each domestic plan such as “Pitatto 4G LTE Plan (New au Pitatto Plan N)” and data upload data capacity will be consumed from the second purchase.
- In case of “Early Discount Campaign” and “Early Discount” require reservations in advance in Japan before departure.
KDDI Timeline and History
We will highlight some of the facts that made the company year after year to develop the technological potential in product sales and service development, we show you a timeline of KDDI from the year 2000 year in which the three companies join and merge until the year 2019.
- 2000. DDI, KDD and IDO merge to form DDI Corporation (KDDI).
- 2001. Regional telecommunications companies TTNet, Osaka Mediaport (OMP) and Chubu Telecommunications (CTC) split their corporate data communication services and Powered Com, Inc. is formed.
- 2002. A GPS cell phone equipped with the first “electronic compass” for cell phones is launched.
- 2006. TU-KA Cellular Tokyo Co., Ltd., TU-KA Cellular Tokai Co., Ltd., and TU-KA Phone Kansai Co., Ltd. are merged.
- 2007. Establishment of Wireless Broadband Planning Co., Ltd. (now UQ Communications Inc.)
- 2008. Wireless Broadband Planning Co., Ltd. became an operating company, and established UQ Communications Inc.
- 2009. UQ Communications launches commercial service “UQ WiMAX”.
- 2010. A planning company (now Booklista) for e-book distribution is established with Sony, Toppan Printing and Asahi Shimbun.
- 2012. Renewal of the AU brand.
- 2014. KDDI Value Enabler Co. is established.
- 2015. The “Au WALLET Market” service was launched.
- 2017. Launched “au HOME”, an IoT service for home use.
- 2018. Opening of “KDDI DIGITAL GATE,” a development base for digital businesses, in Tokyo (Toranomon).
- 2019. Au Financial Holdings Corporation, an intermediate financial holding company, is established, and the concept of smart money is initiated.
Management team – Main corporate representatives
Makoto Takahashi: (President and Chief Executive Officer CEO) From early 2003 to 2010 he was a general manager and executive director of the company, thereafter he would be Executive Officer and Senior General Manager of the Company. In 2016, he is Representative Director, Executive Vice President of the Company and President until today.
Takashi Tanaka: (General Manager of Public Relations and Communication Division) He has held the positions of Executive Director of the Company from 2003 to 2007, in 2007 he became the sole director of the Company as Representative and Executive Officer, General Manager and Senior. Since April 2018, he has held the position of Representative of the company to date.
Takashi Shoji: (General Manager of Personal Business Headquarters) and head of Global Consumer Business Headquarters.
- Iidabashi Office, 3-10-10, Iidabashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8460, Garden Air Tower, Japan.
AU by KDDI operating regions
Asian pacific Area (APA)