If you are about to travel or planning to replace your local SIM card for an eSIM and have no idea how to activate it… Don’t worry, you are in the right place! In this article, we will show you the activation process with the eSIM compatible iPhones.
How does the eSIM work on iPhone?
Just like other devices compatible with this technology, the eSIM card works through a chip that comes in the cellphone. That’s the reason why not all smartphones are compatible.
The eSIM from your local operator or international seller is installed through this chip, once you install and activate it, you will enjoy all the benefits it has.
Which iPhones are compatible with the eSIM?
Currently, all new iPhones can manage this technology that’s the reason why this is the seller’s favorite brand. You can read below the list of compatible cellphones.
- iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)
How to activate an eSIM on the iPhone?
Now that you know which are the iPhone compatible devices, you can start reading the instructions to install the eSIM card:
- Look for the settings on your iPhone.
2. Click on Mobile Data.
3. Click on “Add Data Plan”.
4. Your camera will start working to scan the QR code that your seller gave you. Scan it.
5. Click to add the data plan.
6. Click on “continue”.
7. Choose the Default Line that you want to use with your eSIM, in this case, you will have to pick it depending on if you are using a local eSIM or an international eSIM with cellular data.
Remember that your cellphone can have more than one eSIM, but it can only use one at a time. So, if you already have a local eSIM, you can use an international eSIM while you travel abroad, and when you come back you can keep using your local eSIM.
8. Tap on “continue”.
9. You will be asked which data plan you want to use for iMessage and FaceTime. If you usually communicate through these apps, it is recommended that you use the default line where you put the eSIM with data.
10. Press continue to save the changes.
11. Pick the default line that you want to use for the data.
At this point, you have the option to activate the change of the phone line, depending on whether you have data on one or the other, or if for some reason one of the lines runs out of the internet.
We recommend that you pick this option if you’re activating a local eSIM for everyday use, and you also have a domestic card with a data plan on the same phone, but if you are installing an international eSIM to travel, it is best not to activate it, since you could end up using the data of your domestic card and have high roaming expenses without realizing it.
12. The last step is to click on Done, and that’s it. Now you can use your eSIM card.
Can you have multiple eSIM cards on your iPhone?
As you saw in the article, yes, you can have more than one eSIM on your iPhone. But, as we mentioned before, you can’t use more than one at the same time. You can turn your iPhone into a dual-SIM phone, using the eSIM while you have a traditional SIM card. This way you won’t lose your contacts, and you will keep your telephone number.
If you want to change the eSIM for others, go to the Settings, click on Mobile data, and then pick the data plan that you would like to use. Then activate that line.