Mexico City, also known as Ciudad de Mexico (CDMX), is such a beautiful city. Its landscapes vary from cultural to urban in a well-balanced way. If you want to enjoy this city to the top, you will need an internet connection. In case you are not certain how to connect, here we will tell you about one of the best alternatives to connect to the internet. We are talking about the eSIM card with cellular data for Mexico City.
Here you will read all you need to know about this product. Its requisites, prices, data plans, coverage, and how to connect with the eSIM card from local operators (in case you are planning to stay for a long time).
- 1 eSIM card for Mexico City: How does it work?
- 2 Where can I get my eSIM?
- 3 eSIM card for Mexico City: data plans and prices
- 4 Comparison table
- 5 eSIM card for Mexico City: characteristics
- 6 Map coverage in Mexico City
- 7 Can I get an eSIM card from local operators?
- 8 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Mexico City
eSIM card for Mexico City: How does it work?
One thing you have to know is that, even though it is a very used alternative, it is such a new technology and not all smartphones are compatible with it. So, before buying it, you will have to make sure you fit the following requirements:
- Your smartphone must be eSIM compatible.
- If it can manage the eSIM technology, you have to check if the eSIM of your provider is also compatible with your phone. Usually, providers are compatible with iPhone XR devices and onward.
- You will need an email account; there you will receive the QR code for the activation of the eSIM.
- It is also important that you have an internet connection by the time you are going to make the activation. Remember not to activate your eSIM before getting to your destination.
- Some sellers will ask you to download their official app to manage the eSIM card.
If your cellphone is not eSIM compatible, you can always get a physical SIM card for Mexico City, the traditional SIM card has 6 GB, and it cost $48.
Where can I get my eSIM?
If you already checked that your cellphone is eSIM compatible, it’s time you know where you can buy your eSIM card for your trip. The providers we will show you offer eSIM cards for short trips, so the eSIM card you acquire from them won’t last longer than 2 months.
Some main providers are the following:
eSIM card for Mexico City: data plans and prices
Two of the most important things you have to know are the price and the data plans available. You can read about this below, where we show you the data plans and the prices of each seller, so you can make the best decision.
Holafly eSIM card for Mexico City with unlimited data
- 5 days at $19
- 15 days at $47
- 20 days at $54
- 30 days at $64
- 60 days at $84
Truphone eSIM cards for Mexico City: plans and prices
- 3 GB for 30 days at $49.00
- 1 GB for 30 days at $18.00
- 300 MB for 1 day at $7.00
WiFiMap eSIM card for Mexico City: plans and prices
- 3 GB for 30 days at $92.36
- 1 GB for 30 days at $36.45
- 500 MB for 30 days at $19.44
|Seller||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where to buy it?|
|Truphone||3GB||30||49||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||1GB||30||18||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||3GB||30||92.36||English, Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||1GB||30||36.45||English, Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||500MB||30||19.44||English, Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
eSIM card for Mexico City: characteristics
If you are planning to buy this product, it is vital to know the characteristics of the eSIM card. We will show you the most important characteristics, to help you a bit with your final decision. They are very similar to the traditional SIM card, but you should know the difference anyway:
- Usually, most eSIM cards offer only cellular data, which means that they don’t let you make calls. But you can always use Messenger, Skype, or WhatsApp to contact your loved ones back home.
- Some eSIM cards set up the APN automatically.
- Your iPhone or Android will become a dual-SIM phone since you can still use your traditional SIM card along with the eSIM at the same time.
- You can install the eSIM card only once. So, if you experience any problem, do not erase it and call your provider instead.
- Some providers have special advantages, like Holafly, which lets you share your cellular data with other devices.
- You can have more than one data plan, but you can only use one at a time.
Map coverage in Mexico City
Something you have to know before buying your eSIM card is how much coverage the operator offers at the destination you are traveling to. It will depend on the contract agreements your provider has with the local operators. If they work with the best operators in Mexico City, you’ll have an excellent connection, and you won’t have any issues.
You can take a look at the coverage maps below, to have additional information and avoid having this kind of problem. The best cellular operators in Mexico City are the following:
4G AT&T coverage map
4G Movistar coverage map
4G Telcel coverage map
Can I get an eSIM card from local operators?
If you want to connect to the internet in Mexico City for a longer time, you can do so using an eSIM card from local operators. This alternative is great if you are traveling because of work or study reasons, or if you are planning to live in Mexico City.
To accomplish this, you have to visit the physical stores of the local cellular operators that we will show you below, and ask for a prepaid or postpaid data plan that includes an eSIM. You will have to show some documents and additional information, such as your address. You must have your passport with you, just in case the operators ask for it.
The local cellular operators are the following:
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Mexico City
In case you still have any doubts, you can read below the answers to some of the most frequent questions about the eSIM card for Mexico City. If your question is not here, you can leave it in the comments, and we’ll get back to you asap!
The local eSIM cards from AT&T and Telcel are aimed at the people that live in Mexico City. International eSIM cards, like the ones from Holafly or TravelSIM, let you connect to the internet during your trip to Mexico City.
No, it is not necessary, but some providers may ask for your address. It is only for tourists’ eSIM cards. Local operators, like AT&T or Telcel, may ask for your information.
Once you install the eSIM profile, you have to pick it as the data cellular provider, turn on the data roaming, and that’s it.
Yes, just like traditional SIM cards, eSIM cards have an expiration date.