Travel to the Asian continent, and get to know the different cultures while you remain connected without worrying about paying for roaming. The new eSIM Asia card allows you to save on roaming costs and travel to the different countries in this part of the world.
If you do not know about this new virtual card technology or eSIM; in Roaming we tell you what you should know, for example; international operators, local eSIM, their characteristics, requirements, rates, so you can compare different prices and save money. Don’t forget that with eSIM you contribute to the environment!
What you should know about the eSIM Asia:
The eSIM card is easy to use and to buy, and the first thing we’re going to talk about is the requirements because you have to meet all of them, if you can’t comply with even just one of them, you will not be able to acquire the eSIM, but you can buy a SIM as an alternative.
- You must have an eSIM compatible cellphone: Additionally, check that your cellphone is supported by the eSIM carriers. Generally, the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the companies providing the virtual SIM.
- It is essential to have an email address to register and receive your eSIM.
- You must have a prior internet connection: your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Buy your eSIM Asia with a discount.
Discount coupon: roaming5
Cellular eSIM card providers for travel to the Asian continent
If you meet the above requirements, you will be able to purchase and activate an Asia eSIM card. In case you do not meet the above requirements, you can also purchase an Asia SIM card with 4 GB. We have listed the providers that offer you the virtual eSIM Asia card, these providers allow you to purchase your eSIM wherever you are, with them, you will get all the internet you want regarding GB and the days you need.
Note that these companies sell international eSIM cards intended for use when traveling abroad for business or leisure, see below:
- Au by KDDI
(You may be interested in the Best eSIM for the USA)
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Asia
In this section, you will find the rates of each of the cellular providers that offer you the service in Asia. Then, you will be able to compare and choose the best rate for you.
Holafly data plans and prices in Asia:
- 8 GB for 30 days at $47 USD
Au by KDDI rates and prices data plans for Asia:
- 5 GB for 30 days at $53.01 USD
- 8 GB for 30 days at $81.31 USD
SIMTEX data plans and rates in Asia:
- 5 GB for 30 days at $75 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Asia
|Holafly||8GB||30||47USD||Spanish, English, German and French||Web|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||53.04USD||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||81.39USD||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
eSIM features for travel to Asia
Pay close attention to this section, as you may have noticed the requirements are a bit different from the ones normally needed for a physical SIM, therefore, the features of this product are also different from the traditional SIM cards.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer analog calls, only data. For voice communication you can use apps such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- They can be installed only once, so if you are experiencing problems with your eSIM card; do not remove it from your cellphone or device, instead, contact your eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs set up automatic APNs.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, this depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data.
- On your dual SIM iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Asia. Remember to configure your iPhone to avoid surprise bills when you get back home.
(You may be interested in the Best eSIM for Europe)
eSIM coverage for travel to Asia
It is crucial that you keep in mind your eSIMs coverage because this determines the navigation quality you will have in Asia, also remember that cheap eSIMs usually have poor coverage. Therefore, the eSIM cards that will offer you the best network coverage on your trip to the Asian continent are those that have the most roaming agreements with major carriers such as China Mobile, Ais, Viettel telecom, Mobifone, or NTT Docomo. We will now show you the coverage maps of the main carriers.
NTT Docomo 3G coverage map in Asia, Japan
China Telecom’s 3G network coverage in China
Ais 3G coverage map in Thailand
Local cellular carriers offering eSIM in Asia
Three cellular carriers launched 5G in China on October 31, 2019: China Mobile, China Telecom, and China Unicom. Also, for Asian residents, most carriers allow their users to exchange their physical SIM for the new virtual card. To clarify, they must also meet certain requirements to obtain the eSIM. The following is a list of carriers offering eSIMs
- Viettel Telecom
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Asia
We answer the most common questions you may have before purchasing your eSIM to travel to Asia.
It is not necessary to present a passport, some suppliers do require your address.
Yes, eSIM for Asia will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, choose it as the default cellular data medium, turn on data and roaming and your virtual SIM will work!
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.