Don’t think that just because you’re a foreigner in Italy then you have to pay excessive roaming fees just to connect to the internet or that you should give up and travel disconnected. In Roaming, we tell you more about the best alternative, eSIMs, a new way to travel around Italy without losing contact with your friends and family.
But you may be wondering what is an eSIM? Is very simple, it’s a SIM card that works digitally, which doesn’t depend on external chips or devices to be able to use it like for example the Pocket WiFi or the traditional physical SIM card that we all know.
In addition, with the eSIM, you won’t have to pay additional costs and the best thing is that you don’t need to be an expert traveler to use it because in this article we will explain everything: how they work, which providers are on the market, and a comparison of their plans and prices so that your trip to Italy is perfect.
- Unlimited Mobile data for Italy.
- Receive your QR code instantly!
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM Italy
- 2 Cellular service providers of eSIM cards to travel to Italy:
- 3 Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Italy
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Italy
- 5 Features of the eSIM to travel to Italy
- 6 Coverage of the eSIM to travel to Italy
- 7 Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Italy
- 8 FAQ about eSIM Italy
What you should know about the eSIM Italy
Italy is a beautiful country, and it would be a shame to run out of internet when you taste the best pizza on the planet. The best way to avoid this is with an eSIM card, but before you use it, we encourage you to check the following minimum requirements.
- As eSIM cards are still a relatively new technology, there are still a certain number of cell phones that are not compatible. Therefore, the first thing you should check is that your cell phone is compatible with an eSIM: in addition, we also suggest that you check that your device is supported by the eSIM carrier. We know for sure that currently the iPhone XR or more recent versions are compatible devices that work with eSIMs.
- Another important aspect is that you must have an email to register and receive your eSIM.
- Remember that you must have an internet connection because your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers. You can do this on the first day of your stay in Italy or from a WiFi spot.
- Last but not least, you must know that some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
Cellular service providers of eSIM cards to travel to Italy:
The purpose of this article is to give you the most relevant information about eSIMs for Italy and for that, an important aspect is to get to know the providers that are on the market. But before going into details, if your cell phone is not compatible with an eSIM, you can still choose a good data plan with a traditional physical SIM with 10GB or 12GB data for 30 days at $40.51 USD and $52.42, respectively.
With that cleared up, these are the companies that provide eSIM to Italy:
Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Italy
When planning your trip to Italy you may want more than one option when buying your eSIM card and to make the process easier for you, we have listed the prices and plans offered by the companies mentioned above.
Just keep in mind that the variation in prices may occur for various reasons that can range from the coverage offered, to the data plans or the means of payment available.
Holafly plans and prices in Italy:
- Unlimited data for 5 days at $19 USD
- Unlimited data for 15 days at $47 USD
- Unlimited data for 20 days at $54 USD
- Unlimited data for 30 days at $64 USD
GigSky plans and prices in Italy
- 1GB for 15 days at $8.99 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $39.99 USD
Truphone plans and prices in Italy
- 10GB for 30 days at $17.86 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $14.28 USD
- 2GB for 30 days at $9.52 USD
WifiMap plans and prices in Italy
- 3GB for 30 days at $22.66 USD
- 1GB for 30 days at $8.34 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Italy
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5||$19||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||15||$47||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||20||$54||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||30||$64||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|GigSky||1GB||15||$8.99||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|GigSky||5GB||30||$39.99||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||3GB||30||$22.66||English, Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WifiMap||1GB||30||$8.34||English, Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Italy
When you have decided to buy your eSIM, you must know in depth the qualities that differentiate them from the traditional physical SIM. The virtual card is much easier to use, but to make all this clear, we set out a list where you can find the eSIMs main features.
- Most eSIM cards for travelers don’t offer analog calls, only data. So, if you want to call someone, you can use apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- They can be installed only once, so, if you are having problems with your eSIM card, don’t delete it from your cell phone and instead contact your eSIM provider.
- Keep in mind that some eSIMs configure the automatic APN.
- You can add multiple data plans on your iPhone, but this depends on the available memory, and it’s only possible to use one at a time.
- You will have Unlimited data
- You will have a dual-SIM iPhone, as you will be able to keep your local SIM when you travel to Europe. Remember to set up your iPhone to avoid surprise invoices.
Coverage of the eSIM to travel to Italy
When you are ready to buy your eSIM card, don’t forget to ask about the coverage offered by the plan you are choosing, sometimes a very cheap plan may not provide you with enough coverage and this has to do with the plan and the previous roaming agreements that the eSIM company has with the domestic providers.
In Italy, the operators with the greatest coverage in the country are Telecom Italia, Vodafone, and Wind Tre.
Telecom 4G coverage map in Italy
Vodafone 4G coverage map in Italy
Wind Tre 4G coverage map in Italy
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Italy
Finally, we want you to know that if you live in Italy, you can exchange your traditional physical SIM for an eSIM. You will only have to contact the operator with whom you have a contract, they will request your information and make sure you meet some requirements. The operators that support eSIM in Italy are:
- Telecom Italia (TIM)
- Vodafone Italia
- Wind Tre Italia
- Very Mobile
You must bear in mind that these eSIMs are not intended for travelers, although there are exceptions. So, it’s better to check the details with the operators.
FAQ about eSIM Italy
We hope that this information for your trip to Italy has been useful. We also have listed some frequent questions that travelers usually have when purchasing an Italy eSIM. If you have more questions, leave them in the comments.
Telecom Italia’s (TIM) local eSIM is primarily intended for people living in Italy. To connect to the internet during your trip to Italy, you can use the international eSIM from Holafly or WifiMap.
It’s not necessary to present a passport, but some providers do require your address. This applies only to the eSIM for tourists, not to the eSIM offered by Telecom Italia (TIM), who will ask for your information.
No, the eSIM for Italy does not allow you to share data.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you must choose it as the default means of cellular data, activate data, and roaming and your virtual SIM should now work.
Yes, like physical cards, virtual SIMs also have an expiration date.
From the moment you activate your eSIM, by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Cell phones compatible with the eSIM for Italy are increasing every day. Remember that if you live in a European or Latin American country and plan to travel to Italy, it’s essential that you have a cell phone that is compatible with both eSIM and its bands. If you don’t, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones in which you can install and activate an eSIM for Italy. Make sure the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
The eSIM is the evolution of traditional SIM cards. It works due to a chip inserted inside the cell phone, which allows the profile to be stored and configured. To learn more, we encourage you to read: what is an eSIM and how it works.