Mexico is one of the friendliest and most beautiful countries in Latin America, its geography, people, and cities make the country a place worth visiting if you are planning to travel to Monterrey or Mexico City. Surely the last thing you need is to worry about your internet connection and how expensive it can be to hire a cellular data service abroad. That’s why at Roaming we make it easy for you and introduce you to international eSIMs, an alternative that will always keep you connected at all times.
Virtual SIM cards are a new technology easy to use and acquire, and unlike other services, you will avoid paying for roaming services in Mexico or having to buy a cell phone. Therefore, in this article, we will show you how eSIMs work, the different providers in the market, and a comparison of what these companies offer to make your trip to Mexico the best.
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Mexico
- 2 Cellphone eSIM card providers for travel to Mexico
- 3 eSIM provider rates and data plans for travel to Mexico
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Mexico
- 5 What you should know about eSIM cards to travel for Mexico
- 6 eSIM coverage to travel for Mexico
- 7 Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Mexico
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Mexico
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM card Mexico
The first thing you should know about international eSIM cards is that it is still a very new technology and this means that some mobile devices do not accept it or cannot run it, so here are some important requirements that you should take into account if you plan to buy an eSIM to travel to Mexico.
- You must have a compatible cellphone with eSIM technology: in addition to that, check that your cellphone is supported by the operator or eSIM card provider you are buying. We want to let you know that the iPhone XR or more recent versions, are preferred by the companies providing virtual SIMs.
- On the other hand, it is essential to have an email address to register and receive your eSIM.
- Keep in mind that it is important that you have an internet connection since your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers so that you can scan the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Buy your eSIM for Mexico
Cellphone eSIM card providers for travel to Mexico
Having clarified the conditions to obtain a virtual SIM, we have listed some providers that provide and sell international eSIM cards for Mexico. Remember, if your cell phone does not meet the requirements, you can opt for a Mexico SIM card with unlimited cellular data to travel to this country.
We will now introduce you to the companies that provide international eSIM cards for Mexico. Keep in mind that most of these cards are intended to be used by travelers on tourism or business plans abroad. Depending on your taste or need, choose the best option:
eSIM provider rates and data plans for travel to Mexico
The next step is to detail the prices and plans of each of these providers so that you can choose the one that best suits your needs and what you need to use your cell phone in Mexico.
We clarify that the variation in prices may be due to coverage, previous roaming agreements of each of these companies, the location, how the plan is used, and the payment methods available to each of these companies.
Holafly plans and pricing for Mexico
- 5GB for 30 days at 47 USD
Truphone plans and prices for Mexico
- 5GB for 30 days at 32.00 USD
- 3 GB for 30 days at 49.00 USD
- 1 GB for 30 days at 18.00 USD
- 300 MB for 1 day at 7.00 USD
WiFiMap plans and pricing for Mexico
- 3GB for 30 days at 92.36 USD
- 1GB for 30 days for 36.45 USD
- 500MB for 30 days at 19.44 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Mexico
|Holafly||5GB||30||47 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Truphone||5 GB||30||32.00 USD||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||3GB||30||49.00 USD||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||1GB||30||18.00 USD||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||300 MB||1||7.00 USD||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||3GB||30||92.36 USD||English and Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||1GB||30||36.45 USD||English and Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||500MB||30||19.44 USD||English and Russian||Web, Play Store, App Store|
What you should know about eSIM cards to travel for Mexico
When purchasing your eSIM it is important to know the features provided by these virtual cards. Therefore, take into account the following list where you will be able to observe and note the unique features of eSIMs and the difference between the traditional physical SIM card and this virtual card.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer analog calls, only data. For voice communication you can use Apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- Some eSIM cards will set up an automatic APN for you.
- On your iPhone dual SIM you can keep your local SIM and do not have to change it when you travel to Mexico. Remember to set up your iPhone to avoid surprise bills.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you are experiencing problems with your virtual card, the best thing to do is to contact your eSIM provider, so we recommend that you do not remove it.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, this depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
eSIM coverage to travel for Mexico
On the other hand, we present the cellular coverage offered by providers in Mexico. This is in order to give you a complete picture when buying your eSIM, since sometimes a very cheap eSIM card may not provide good coverage in the place you are going to visit in Mexico.
Keep in mind that the best eSIMs are those that have the most roaming agreements in Mexico. In this case, the operators with the most coverage in the country are AT&T, Movistar, and Telcel.
Below you will find the coverage map of each of these operators to give you an idea of the extent of their servers.
4G coverage map of AT&T operator in Mexico
4G coverage map of the Movistar operator in Mexico
4G coverage map of Telcel operator in Mexico
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Mexico
In Mexico, there are currently three national companies that offer residents of Latin America’s most visited country the option of having or changing their traditional SIM card to an eSIM.
Keep in mind that users who opt for this alternative and can activate a plan with an eSIM must comply with certain requirements and carry out certain procedures stipulated by the operator.
Given the above, the companies that offer Mexican residents the possibility of acquiring or changing the physical chip to an eSIM are:
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Mexico
We hope you found this information useful and practical for your trip to Mexico. However, we leave you with some common questions that users usually have when buying an eSIM to travel to Mexico. Maybe here you will solve the missing questions, if not, we are waiting for you in the comments.
The AT&T and Telcel eSIM is a local eSIM and is mainly intended for residents of Mexico. The international eSIM for Mexico from Holafly or WifiMap is used to connect to the Mobile Internet in Mexico.
It is not necessary to present a passport, some providers do require your address. This applies only to the tourist eSIM. Not for the eSIM offered by AT&T and Telcel, who will ask for your information.
Yes, eSIM for Mexico will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile you must choose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on your data and roaming, and your virtual SIM should be working.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.
The days start counting from the moment you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Cell phones compatible with eSIM Mexico are increasing every day. Remember that if you reside in a European or Latin country and plan to travel to Mexico, it is essential that you carry a cell phone compatible with both eSIM and its bands because if you don’t, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones in which you will be able to install and activate an eSIM Mexico. Make sure first that the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
La eSIM es la evolución de las SIM Cards tradicionales. El funcionamiento de la eSIM se debe a un chip insertado dentro del celular, que permite almacenar y configurar el perfil. Para conocer más te invitamos a leer: qué es la eSIM y cómo funciona.