Mexico is one of the friendliest and most beautiful countries in Latin America. Its geography, people, and cities make the country a place worth visiting. Indeed the last thing you need is to worry about your internet connection and how expensive it can be to hire a cellular data service abroad. That’s why at Roaming, we make it easy for you and introduce you to the international eSIM for Mexico, an alternative that will always keep you connected to the internet.
These virtual SIM cards are a new technology that is easy to use and acquire, and unlike other services, you will avoid paying high rates for roaming services in Mexico or renting a Pocket wifi. These eSIMs are basically the digital evolution of SIM cards, and are embedded in many of the latest generation phones.
Therefore, in this article, we will show you how eSIMs work, the different providers in the market, and a comparison of what these companies offer to make your trip to Mexico the best.
- Unlimited mobile data for Mexico
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card for Mexico
- 2 Cellphone eSIM card providers for travel to Mexico
- 3 eSIM provider rates and data plans for travel to Mexico
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Mexico
- 5 What you should know about eSIM cards to travel to Mexico
- 6 Mobile internet coverage map for traveling to Mexico
- 7 Local Mobile operators offering eSIM in Mexico
- 8 Telcel
- 9 AT&T
- 10 Movistar
- 11 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Mexico
- 12 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM card for Mexico
The first thing you should know about international eSIM cards is that it is still a very new technology, and this means that some mobile devices do not accept it or cannot run it, so here are some essential requirements that you should take into account if you plan to buy an eSIM to travel to Mexico.
- You must have a compatible cellphone with eSIM technology. In addition to that, check that your cellphone is supported by the operator or eSIM card provider you are buying. Currently, the company with the most devices that support eSIM is Apple. However, other devices are also compatible, and you can search for yours in the following link.
- On the other hand, it is essential to have an email address to register and receive your eSIM.
- Keep in mind that it is important that you have an internet connection since your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers so that you can scan the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Buy your eSIM for Mexico
Cellphone eSIM card providers for travel to Mexico
Having clarified the conditions to obtain a virtual SIM, we have listed some providers that sell international eSIM cards for Mexico. Remember, if your cell phone does not meet the requirements, you can opt for a prepaid SIM card to travel to this country.
We will now introduce you to the companies that provide international eSIM cards for Mexico. Keep in mind that most of these cards are intended to be used by travelers on tourism or business plans abroad. Depending on your taste or need, choose the best option:
(You may be interested in the Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM provider rates and data plans for travel to Mexico
The next step is to detail the prices and plans of each of these providers so that you can choose the one that best suits your needs and what you need to use your cell phone in Mexico.
We clarify that the price variation may be due to coverage, previous roaming agreements of each of these companies, the location, how the plan is used, and the payment methods available to each of these companies.
If you want an eSIM with which you can always be connected to the internet during your trip to Mexico, then Holafly’s eSIM could be your best option. It will allow you to enjoy unlimited data during your trip. Simply choose the plan that best suits the days of your trip, and that’s it. You can enjoy all the internet you want.
On the other hand, buying Holafly’s eSIM is really easy. All you have to do is visit their website, search for your destination country, in this case, Mexico, and choose the plan you prefer according to the days of your trip. Holafly offers different variants of 5, 10, 15, 15, 20, 30, 60, and 90 days, all including unlimited data. In addition, if you have an iPhone, you can download Holafly’s iOS App to activate your eSIM and track your connection.
Pros of Holafly’s eSIM for Mexico:
- Their eSIM is very easy to set up and activate.
- You’ll connect to the best network in Mexico.
- You can enjoy unlimited data.
- Keep your WhatsApp number on your cellphone.
- You’ll have 24/7 customer service from Holafly’s support team.
Cons of Holafly’s eSIM for Mexico:
- You won’t be able to make or receive calls.
- No messages included.
- You can not share data with other devices.
This is a UK-based company that sells eSIMs to more than 100 countries around the world. They focus on selling plans locally to specific countries, as well as regionally and globally. In addition, they also offer different types of plans depending on the device you are going to use, whether it is your mobile phone, tablet, or smartwatch.
In the case of Mexico, you will be able to purchase an eSIM for this destination, and you will be able to choose from different plan options. However, keep in mind that most of them are for 30 days, so if you are traveling for a short period of time, this may not be your option. To purchase the Truphone eSIM you will need to download their mobile application and register with them.
Pros of Truphone eSIM:
- 4G and 5G speeds in most available destinations.
- Coverage in more than 130 countries.
- You can use the Truphone eSIM with your home country’s SIM Card.
Cons of Truphone eSIM:
- Only offers plans with a duration of 30 days and 1 day.
- You can not purchase through their website, only through their APP, and you need to register.
- The app is not available in many countries in the world.
Finally, Wifimap is a mobile application whose purpose is to help travelers stay connected to the internet through different ways. Among its functions is to help you find free wifi locations in the country you are visiting, but they also offer the sale of eSIMs for tourists, to more than 50 destinations around the world.
To purchase any of their eSIMs you need to download their application, and from there look for the eSIM for the destination you are traveling to. In the case of Mexico, you can purchase a plan available for USA, Canada and Mexico, which will allow you to enjoy 1GB of data for 30 days at $14.99. You can also purchase a Global plan that will give you internet access in a large number of countries, but will only give you 1GB for 30 days for $99.99. As you can see, the amount of data is very little, so if you use a lot of internet, this might not be the best option.
Pros of WiFiMap eSIM for Mexico:
- High-speed 4G and LTE networks.
- No need for a contract.
- Fast refill.
Cons of WiFiMap eSIM for Mexico:
- They only offer data plans with 1GB.
- Not compatible with many phones.
- Users have to pay monthly for the use of the app.
Comparison of eSIM providers for Mexico
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5||19 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||10||34 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||20||54 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||30||64 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Truphone||1GB||1||7.00 USD||English||Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||2GB||30||15.00 USD||English||Play Store, App Store|
|Truphone||5GB||30||30.00 USD||English||Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||1GB||30||14.99 USD||English and Russian||Play Store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||1GB||30||99.99 USD||English and Russian||Play Store, App Store|
What you should know about eSIM cards to travel to Mexico
When purchasing your eSIM, it is important to know the features provided by these virtual cards. Therefore, take into account the following list where you will be able to observe and note the unique features of eSIMs and the difference between the traditional physical SIM card and this virtual card.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer analog calls, only data. For voice communication, you can use Apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- Some eSIM cards will set up an automatic APN for you.
- If your device is dual SIM, you can keep your local SIM and do not have to change it when you travel to Mexico. Remember to set up your cell phone to avoid surprise bills.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you are experiencing problems with your virtual card, the best thing to do is to contact your eSIM provider, so we recommend that you do not remove it.
- You can add several data plans to your device. This depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
Mobile internet coverage map for traveling to Mexico
On the other hand, we present the cellular coverage offered by providers in Mexico. This is in order to give you a complete picture when buying your eSIM since sometimes a very cheap eSIM card may not provide good coverage in the place you are going to visit in Mexico.
Keep in mind that the best eSIMs are those that have the most roaming agreements in Mexico. In this case, the operators with the most coverage in the country are AT&T, Movistar, and Telcel.
Below you will find the coverage map of each of these operators to give you an idea of the extent of their servers.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
4G coverage map of AT&T operator in Mexico
4G coverage map of the Movistar operator in Mexico
4G coverage map of Telcel operator in Mexico
Local Mobile operators offering eSIM in Mexico
In Mexico, three national companies currently offer residents of Latin America’s most visited country the option of having or changing their traditional SIM card to an eSIM. Keep in mind that users who opt for this alternative and can activate a plan with an eSIM must comply with specific requirements and carry out certain procedures stipulated by the operator.
Given the above, the companies that offer Mexican residents the possibility of acquiring or changing the physical chip to an eSIM are AT&T, Telcel, and Movistar. However, most of them offer eSIMs only to residents of the country.
This is the most widely used and most widely covered phone company in Mexico. While you can find prepaid phone services in their different local stores, you will be able to buy prepaid SIM cards as a traveler, but not eSIMs.
This is because Telcel offers its eSIM services specifically for people who are already postpaid customers of the company. In other words, to use one of their eSIMs, you will first need to have a postpaid plan, and then switch to eSIM. That is why acquiring an eSIM with Telcel is feasible for residents of the country and not for travelers.
Benefits of Telcel eSIM in Mexico
While Telcel’s eSIM cannot be purchased as a tourist, if you plan to stay for an extended period of time in Mexico, then you can purchase a contract with Telcel to enjoy the following benefits of their eSIM:
- Better technical performance on the phone.
- You can use the eSIM line and your local SIM card simultaneously.
- You can store several eSIMs in the same device.
How to Activate a Telcel eSIM for Mexico
Activating your eSIM Card with Telcel does not have an additional cost to your service plan. You must choose one of the products available with the company, find the nearest branch or service center and request the activation of the eSIM through this means. You will also be asked to confirm that your device is compatible with the technology. After this you will be enjoying the benefits of being connected to the largest network in Mexico.
As a second option we have AT&T, probably you have already heard of this company because it is located in several countries. In the case of acquiring an eSIM with this company for your trip, the situation is similar to Telcel’s eSIMs. You will need to have a prepaid or postpaid plan with the company in order to make the change to eSIM.
The big difference is that acquiring an eSIM with AT&T can be a bit easier. You will have different methods to buy it, either online through their website, or through their local physical stores. Still, remember that you will need to have a prepaid or postpaid plan in advance in order to switch to eSIM.
Benefits of AT&T eSIM in Mexico
The advantages of acquiring an eSIM from AT&T during your trip to Mexico are as follows:
- You can store multiple lines on the same device.
- It is very easy to activate with the QR code.
- You can buy it online through the AT&T Mexico website.
- You can choose from different plans with different benefits.
How to Activate an AT&T eSIM for Mexico
When you purchase the eSIM from AT&T, you will have access to the QR code for the eSIM. You will need to scan the QR code on the device you will be using, and then configure your phone to start using the eSIM.
Finally, we have Movistar, a company that is also widely used in Mexico, but has fewer users than the previous two. With Movistar, you can purchase an eSIM without the need of having a prepaid or postpaid plan.
However, you should take into account that to buy an eSIM with Movistar you will have to do it through their local physical stores. So the process may be a bit complicated and time consuming. Also, you will need to go through a registration process.
Benefits of the Movistar eSIM in Mexico
Their eSIM benefits are:
- Use both telephone numbers.
- Make and receive voice calls.
- Send and receive messages.
- Surf the Internet by selecting the line of your choice.
How to Activate an Movistar eSIM for Mexico
In order to activate your Movistar eSIM card for Mexico you must go to an authorized Movistar service center near you. To find one you can use the list of service centers that Movistar has on its website. Once there you can choose the prepaid plan of your preference and you will receive a card with a QR code to activate your eSIM.
Always remember before activating it, verify that your device has this technology, make sure you are connected to a WIFI network and confirm that your device has the latest version of the operating system.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Mexico
We hope you found this information useful and practical for your trip to Mexico. However, we leave you with some common questions that users usually have when buying an eSIM to travel to Mexico. Maybe here you will solve the missing questions; if not, we are waiting for you in the comments.
The AT&T and Telcel eSIM is a local eSIM and is mainly intended for residents of Mexico. The international eSIM for Mexico from Holafly or WifiMap is used to connect to the Mobile Internet in Mexico.
It is not necessary to present a passport, but some providers do require your address. This applies only to the tourist eSIM. Not for the eSIM offered by AT&T and Telcel, who will ask for your information.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you must choose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on your data and roam, and your virtual SIM should work.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.
The days start counting from when you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your phone.