Do you want to travel to Rio de Janeiro, enjoy its landscapes, and share the best experience with your friends or family connected to the Mobile internet in Brazil? There are multiple options available on the market such as SIM cards, roaming, renting a Pocket WiFi for Brazil, or the new eSIM to travel to Brazil.
In Roaming, we will tell you everything you need to know about the eSIM Brazil, international operators, local eSIMs, how they work, and their features so that you don’t waste time adding products to the shopping cart that you can’t buy because they don’t accept your payment method.
What you need to know to install the Brazil eSIM card:
If you want to get an eSIM, you must keep in mind that it’s an innovative and quite recent technology. Therefore, that’s why there are some limitations in terms of compatibility because these virtual SIM cards are only compatible with certain cell phones so we recommend considering the following factors:
- You must have a cell phone compatible with eSIM. Additionally, you must check that your cell phone is supported by the operator or the eSIM card provider. We know that currently that the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the companies that provide the virtual SIM.
- Remember, It is essential to have an e-mail to register and receive your eSIM.
- You must have an internet connection: your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
Cellular providers of eSIM cards to travel to Brazil
If you meet the above requirements, you will be able to purchase and activate an eSIM card for Brazil. In case you don’t meet the requirements don’t worry there are other options available! You can also buy a SIM card for Brazil with 10 and 12 GB and the telephone number is included. Next, we will tell you everything about the providers available on the market so that you can purchase your eSIM to connect to the internet in Brazil. These are companies that sell international eSIM cards intended for use in leisure or business trips abroad. We list them below:
- Au by KDDI
- Three HK
To learn more about SIM cards for Brazil, we recommend you read our article, Brazil SIM card.
Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Brazil
One of the best advantages of eSIM cards is that getting a plan for Brazil is just a single click away. You will be able to choose exactly the type of plan you want and the time you are going to be out of the country. This way, you won’t overspend, and you will save money.
Holafly plans and prices in Brazil:
- 5GB for 30 days at $44 USD
GlobaleSIM prices in Brazil:
- 1GB for 7 days at $49
- 2GB for 10 days at $78
- 3GB for 14 days at $95
- 5GB for 21 days at $115
Au by KDDI plans and prices in Brazil:
- 5GB for 30 days at $53.32
- 8GB for 30 days at $81.81
Three HK plans and prices in Brazil:
- 3GB for 30 days at $138
- 13GB for 365 days at $268
YeSIM plans in Brazil:
- 100MB for 7 days at $4.80
- 300MB for 7 days at $14.41
- 500MB for 14 days at $21.61
- 1GB for 14 days at $42.03
Comparison of eSIM providers for Brazil
|Holafly||5GB||30||$44||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|GlobaleSIM||1GB||7||$49||English||App Store, Google Play|
|GlobaleSIM||2GB||10||$78||English||App Store, Google Play|
|GlobaleSIM||3GB||14||$95||English||App Store, Google Play|
|GlobaleSIM||5GB||21||$115||English||App Store, Google Play|
|YeSIM||13GB||365||$268||English||App Store, Google Play, Web|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||$52||English||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||$81||English||App Store, Google Play|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Brazil
We want you to know what you are buying, so we will tell you everything you need to know regarding the features you must consider before buying an eSIM card to travel to Brazil. Despite their similarity, they’re not the same as traditional physical SIM cards. Check out the details here:
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data.
- Most eSIM cards don’t offer you analog calls, only data. If you want to call your friends or family you can use apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- The eSIM can be installed only once so if you are having problems with your eSIM card, don’t delete it from your cell phone and contact your eSIM provider instead.
- Thanks to the eSIM your phone becomes a dual-SIM phone, as you will be able to keep your domestic local SIM when you travel to Brazil and use it alongside the eSIM. Remember to set up your iPhone to avoid surprise invoices.
- You can add multiple data plans on your iPhone, but this depends on the available memory, although it’s only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs configure the automatic APN.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
eSIM coverage to travel to Brazil
The eSIM cards that will offer you the best network coverage on your trip to Brazil are those that have the largest number of roaming agreements with the main operators such as Vivo, TIM, Claro, and Oi.
Thanks to multiple network connection options, your iPhone will switch networks depending on the areas you visit in Brazil. You may be buying a very cheap eSIM card, but it might not offer good coverage in Brazil. To help you, we share here the coverage maps of the main Brazilian cellular operators.
Vivo 3G coverage map in Brazil
TIM 3G coverage map in Brazil
Claro 3G coverage map in Brazil
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Brazil
You must consider that to activate a plan with eSIM, you should meet certain requirements, and carry out some procedures. Cellular operators in Brazil that offer eSIMs are intended for permanent residents and not for travelers although there are exceptions.
Here we have listed the Brazilian eSIM carriers that have this technology enabled for their users:
FAQ about eSIM in Brazil
See below for the most common questions you may have before purchasing your eSIM to travel to Brazil.
It’s not necessary to present a passport, but some providers do require your address.
Yes, eSIMs for Brazil will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend checking with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you must choose it as the default means of cellular data, activate data, and roaming and your virtual SIM should now work.
Yes, like physical cards, virtual SIMs also have an expiration date