If you are planning to travel to one of the most tropical and wonderful countries in Latin America, Costa Rica is such a great alternative. As you plan your trip, you shouldn’t worry about the internet. Anyway, we know that in this modern world it is very important to be connected to the internet, but doing it abroad with international Roaming can be very expensive, so we are going to tell you about a new and accessible alternative known as the eSIM for Costa Rica.
The eSIM card is different from other services such as Pocket Wifi because it is easier to get, install, and use. In this article, we are going to tell you all you need to know about it, how they work, prices, providers, and some of the reasons why it is such a great alternative.
eSIM card for Costa Rica: what you need to know
You have to know that not all smartphones can manage eSIM technology, so we have listed some of the requisites you must fit to acquire this product.
- Make sure your cellphone is eSIM compatible, and also that it is compatible with the eSIM card that your provider offers. Most companies are compatible with iPhone XR and onwards.
- You need an email account to receive the eSIM card.
- You will have to connect to the internet to make the eSIM activation and download the profile after you scan the QR code.
- Some providers may ask you to download their mobile app.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card for Costa Rica providers
Now that you have read about the requisites you must fit, you need to know about which providers offer this technology to travel to Costa Rica. The following companies offer international eSIM cards aimed at travelers:
eSIM card for Costa Rica data plans and prices
For you to make the best decision, we have listed the data plans and prices of the eSIM cards that each of the previous providers offers. Remember that the prices may vary depending on coverage, payment methods, and location.
Holafly eSIM card for Costa Rica: data plans and prices
- Unlimited data for 5 days at USD 27
- Unlimited data for 7 days at USD 34
- Unlimited data for 10 days at USD 37
- Unlimited data for 15 days at USD 47
- Unlimited data for 20 days at USD 54
Truphone eSIM card for Costa Rica: data plans and prices
- 3GB during 30 days at $49
- 1GB during 30 days at $18
WifiMap eSIM card for Costa Rica: data plans and prices
- 3GB during 30 days at $30.88
- 1GB during 30 days at $35.35
- 500MB during 30 days at $18.18
GigSky eSIM card for Costa Rica: data plans and prices
- 1GB during 15 days at $10.99
- 5GB during 30 days at $39.99
GlobaleSIM eSIM card for Costa Rica: data plans and prices
- 1GB during 7 days at $49
- 2GB during 10 days at $78
- 3GB during 14 days at $95
- 5GB during 30 days at $115
eSIM card for Costa Rica providers: a comparison
|Provider||Mobile data||Days||Price||Support||Where to buy it|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5||$27||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||7||$34||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||10||$37||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||15||$47||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||20||$54||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|WifiMap||3GB||30||$30.88||English, Russian||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||1GB||30||$35.35||English, Russian||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||500MB||30||$18.18||English, Russian||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|GigSky||1GB||15||$10.99||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|GigSky||5GB||30||$39.99||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Costa Rica
It is very important you read more about the product you are about to buy, so we are going to show you below the main characteristics of the eSIM card, so you can compare it with the traditional SIM card.
- Most eSIM cards are for only data, which means that they won’t let you make calls. If you want to communicate with someone you can do it using mobile apps such as WhatsApp or Skype.
- Some eSIM cards configure the APN automatically.
- Your smartphone will become a dual-SIM, which means that you will be able to use the eSIM and the traditional SIM card at the same time.
- The eSIM card can be installed only once, so if you have any problem do not erase it, before calling your provider first.
- Some eSIM cards let you share your mobile data.
- You can have more than one data plan, but you can only use one at a time.
eSIM card for Costa Rica coverage
Another important aspect is the eSIM coverage. Some eSIM cards, usually cheap ones, do not offer great coverage, so you won’t be able to enjoy your mobile data.
To avoid these problems, you should pick the eSIM cards that have roaming accords with the local operators in Costa Rica. The main operators in this destination are the following: Claro, Movistar, and Kolbi.
You can check the coverage maps below, to learn more about it.
Claro 4G coverage map
Movistar 3G coverage map
Kolbi 4G coverage map
Can I get my eSIM card from local operators?
In Costa Rica, mobile operators like Claro, Movistar, and Kolbi do not offer eSIM cards yet. So, even though your device is eSIM compatible, you won’t be able to acquire an eSIM card.
It only affects residents with a fixed contract. If you are a traveler, and you want to get this technology you can get an eSIM card from the operators we mentioned before.
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Costa Rica
No, you don’t. But some providers may ask for your address.
Yes, the eSIM card for Costa Rica will let you share your mobile data with other devices. Anyway, you should check this with your provider.
After installing the eSIM profile, you have to pick it as the mobile data provider, turn on the mobile data and data roaming, and that’s it!
Yes, just like traditional SIM cards, the eSIM has an expiration date.