Chile and its the Atacama Desert cannot go unnoticed if we consider having a dream trip to observe the most beautiful constellations. That’s why you shouldn’t miss out on being connected to the networks with the best SIM card in Chile.
In this article, we will tell you which, where and how to buy the best prepaid data SIM card in Chile, because we are sure you want to stay connected to the internet on your journey through the longest and narrowest country in the world.
Why buy a data SIM card prepaid for Chile?
Because having access to the Internet in a country that is not your own will be a great help to stay connected at all times with your family and friends. Besides, having a SIM card will be the best alternative before paying the expensive roaming fees that operators charge us when we leave the country and use our mobile data.
Which data SIM card for Chile offers me more data at a better price?
It is advisable to look for a data SIM card that offers the most days and mobile data at a low price. They may be a bit expensive, but it is the best option to avoid paying expensive bills when we return to our country using roaming.
It is also essential the data SIM card allows you to keep your WhatsApp number and is easy to use. Therefore, we will show you several options so, which you can see for yourself what is the best sim card in Chile for foreigners.
Holafly offers you two SIM cards to use for 30 days with 5GB and 12GB of data, at 3G speed. These are very easy to use and best of all, shipping is free. Super!
Where to buy the best prepaid data SIM card for Chile?
You can buy a prepaid SIM card for Chile from the comfort of your home at online shops like Holafly, for example. You can also do it on landing, at the airport, in supermarkets (Hiper Líder, Jumbo, Tottus) and shops run by the operators themselves.
To Buy my Chile data SIM card from an online store (recommended)
This is the most recommended and safest option in times of covid, as you will be able to buy your SIM card for Chile from your computer or mobile phone without leaving home. You will also avoid long queues when you arrive at your destination and you will be connected from the first moment you arrive in Chile.
Holafly Chile prepaid data SIM card
Holafly has 2 presentations of prepaid SIM cards for the Internet in Chile. It offers you 5GB or 12GB of data for 30 days at 3G speed. Besides, you can use your Chile SIM card in 8 other Latin American countries such as; Panama, Peru, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Uruguay and Costa Rica.
|Useful life Card (Days)||Data amount||Price||Price/day|
|30||5 GB||34€||1,1€ / día|
|30||12 GB||44€||1,4€ / día|
Benefits of Holafly
- Very easy to use, you insert the SIM card when you land in Chile, activate “Data Roaming” and you are connected.
- You keep your WhatsApp number to stay connected with your family and friends without changing your number.
- Completely free shipping and you receive it in 72 working hours.
- 24-hour assistance in English in case you have any doubts
- Multi High-coverage around LATAM
Limitations of Holafly
- You may need a card for a certain number of days that Holafly does not offer.
How much data amount do I need to travel to Chile?
The data you need to travel to Chile will depend on what you are going to use it for. For example, if you are going stargazing in the Atacama Desert and want to share content on your social networks, or if you want to call your family over a glass of wine.
One SimCard Chile
Your prepaid SIM card costs up to 35 euros. It offers you different data packages and you will have to pay extra to top-up credit. Note that this company will charge you for everything; shipping, mobile data and card.
One SimCard Chile benefits
- You will have a variety of data packages.
One SimCard Chile Limitations
- Incoming calls are free but outgoing calls cost extra.
- You will also be charged for shipping, which would be from 2.5 euros and upwards.
How much does a SIM card for Chile cost?
We already know the features as advantages, limitations and the rates well show you a comparison between the Holafly SIM card and other Sim cards. Thanks for reading, the decision to get the best data Sim card is yours.
|Brand||Data Card Price||Data amount price||Shipping cost||Fixed price|
|Holafly||–||34 €||–||34 €|
|One SIM Card||34,95 €||48,16 €||2,74 €||85,85 €|
As we have seen, the best option is Holafly, which does not charge shipping costs and offers a full data package. While the other one charges additional costs.
To buy my data SIM card in Chile
You can buy your SIM card at airports (Arturo Merino Benítez Airport in Santiago de Chile, for example), supermarkets, pharmacies, and in the shops of mobile operators such as Movistar, Claro or Entel.
We will focus on these three main operators to learn a little more. Although this type of purchase is not convenient if your stay is short. Also, mobile operators in Chile will only allow you to have a data card for use within the country with no option to have mobile data in Latin America.
Movistar Chile Prepaid Sim Card
Currently, Movistar is providing data services around Chile and Latam as well. Movistar provides several data plans from SIM cards and more, as an example we have a data plan for seven days with 2GB, thirty days with 10 GB surfing by 4G.
- You can find them in different places, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, official shops and more.
- For every data package, you buy you get 200 free minutes for calls within the country.
- Preferably buy them in official Movistar shops to prevent deactivation of the service for buying an unregistered card.
- If you run out of credit, you can top up in nearby supermarkets or shops.
- You need to present your passport to buy a card.
At Entel, you can buy a prepaid chip on your own and activate it by topping it up from the website or their Entel Lite app.
- They have data packages, with a variety ranging from 500 MB and up.
- They have daily and monthly packages with modest prices, in local currency.
- Some packages offer unlimited social networking.
- The data packages are not cumulative throughout the entire period that you contracted the service.
Another of the most used companies in the national market, it has 4G LTE coverage. It offers three prepaid packages with 7 days of validity and two of them with unlimited social networks.
- Some promotions include unlimited SMS and WhatsApp.
- They offer options from 2GB
- You can only use the services within the country, outside Chile you will be charged roaming and you will not be able to top up.
- You must activate the packages by sending a message to *103#.
Data SIM card for Chile, which one to buy?
There is no doubt that the Chile SIM card from Holafly is the best option, it offers you two cards for 34 euros and 44 euros with data of 5GB and 12GB, perfect for travelling around the country while staying connected to the Internet. Also, remember that the connection covers 8 more countries in Latin America.
Besides, it gives you the following benefits:
- Receive free local calls, unlike other options, which charge you for everything.
- 24-hour help in English, via email and chat if you need it.
- Easy to use: Replace the chip, put it in and activate “data roaming”.
- Multi-country Latin America SIM card, covering 8 more countries: Brazil, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico and Uruguay.
- Keep your Whatsapp number, so you can connect with your friends and family.
- Free shipping and you will receive it within 72 business hours.
So now you know, land and start surfing on the Internet with your prepaid SIM card Chile!
Frequently asked questions about Internet and SIM card for Chile
You can connect in Chile with a prepaid SIM card, Pocket Wifi, free Wifi, or by roaming. However, el roaming puede ser caro y si hablamos de Wifi gratis recuerda que sólo puedes usarlo en los lugares que lo tienen.
el roaming puede ser caro y si hablamos de Wifi gratis recuerda que sólo puedes usarlo en los lugares que lo tienen.
The cost of roaming in Chile varies depending on the operator you use. The price is between 6, 10 and 12 euros per MB, i.e. you will spend 12 euros for every minute you are connected to the internet.
To choose the perfect SIM card for you, it should have the amount of data you need, that fits the number of days you stay in Chile if it includes phone number, local calls and SMS.
The most convenient option under quarantine is to do it before travelling and without leaving home, in virtual shops such as Holafly, for example.
The prices of a Chile SIM card vary according to the data plan and days of validity. The lowest price we found is the Chile SIM card from Holafly, which for 34€ or 44€ you can receive a SIM card with 5GB or 12GB of data for 30 days of travel.