There is no doubt that Santiago de Chile is one of the most beautiful cities in Latin America. And, if you want to enjoy your experience to the top, you will need to be connected to the international internet. To accomplish this, you can use expensive and traditional options, such as international roaming… Or, you can opt for a new and accessible alternative: the new eSIM card with cellular data for Santiago de Chile.
If you want to learn more, we recommend you read this article, where you will find everything you need to know about the International eSIM card: how to use it, activate it, and buy it, the requirements you must meet, the data plans and prices, and so much more. Let’s begin!
Requisites to install the eSIM card for Santiago de Chile
Since it is such a new tech service, not all smartphones can manage the eSIM technology yet. That’s why you have to make sure you fit all the requirements before you buy an eSIM card. You can read more about them below:
- Your cellphone must be eSIM compatible. You can find this information in your cellphones specifications.
- If your smartphone has eSIM technology, then you have to make sure that it is compatible with the eSIM card from the provider you are going to choose.
- You need an email account to make the purchase and receive the QR code.
- You activate the eSIM card you have to scan the QR code you receive in your email, so you will have to play it on a second screen.
- Furthermore, you have to be connected to the internet when you are activating the eSIM.
- Remember that the eSIM card can only be activated when you arrive at your destination.
- Some providers may ask you to download their app to manage and activate the eSIM card.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card for Santiago de Chile providers
Now that you know that your cellphone is eSIM compatible, you probably want to read about how to buy an eSIM card. To help you with it, we have listed some of the main international eSIM card providers. Anyway, before telling you about them, you have to know that they only offer eSIM cards with cellular data for travelers, which means that their eSIM cards won’t last longer than 3 months.
If you want to connect to the internet for a longer time, we recommend you check the eSIM cards from local cellular carriers.
- Au By KDDI
eSIM card for Santiago de Chile: data plans and prices
Two of the most important aspects are the data plans and prices. We have listed below the data plans and prices of all the eSIM card providers for your trip to Santiago de Chile. We hope this information helps you pick the eSIM card that best suits your needs and budget.
Anyway, another thing you have to consider is the quality of the coverage you will have when you land in Chile. We will talk about this later.
Holafly eSIM card for Santiago de Chile: data plans and prices
- Unlimited data for 5 days at USD 19
- Unlimited data for 7 days at USD 27
- Unlimited data for 10 days at USD 34
- Unlimited data for 15 days at USD 47
- Unlimited data for 20 days at USD 54
TravelSIM eSIM card for Santiago de Chile: data plans and prices
- 5 GB during 30 days at $175
- 3 GB during 30 days at $150
- 1 GB during 30 days at $69
Knowroaming eSIM card for Santiago de Chile: data plans and prices
- 5 GB during 30 days at $50
Au By KKDI eSIM card for Santiago de Chile: data plans and prices
- 5 GB during 30 days at $43
eSIM card for Santiago de Chile providers: a comparison
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where to buy it|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5||$19||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||7||$27||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||10||$34||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||15||$47||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||20||$54||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|Au By KKDI||5GB||30||$43||English||Web|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Santiago de Chile
After reading about the data plans and prices, we are going to tell you about the characteristics the eSIM card has to offer. You need to know all the information about the product you will buy, so, to help you with it, we have listed the main characteristics below:
- In most cases, the eSIM card offers only cellular data, so you cannot make calls. If you want to call your loved ones, you can do it using apps like WhatsApp or Skype.
- The eSIM card can be activated only once, so if you experience any problem, do not erase it before calling your provider.
- Your smartphone will become a dual-SIM when you activate the eSIM. You will be able to use the eSIM and your traditional SIM card at the same time.
- You can have more than one data plan, but you can only use one at a time.
- Some eSIM cards have additional advantages, such as the Holafly eSIM card, which lets you share your cellular data, keep your WhatsApp number, and with 24-hour customer service and support available.
eSIM card for Santiago de Chile coverage
As we already told you, one of the most important aspects you have to keep in mind before choosing your eSIM, is the coverage offered at your destination. If your coverage is bad, your connection will be bad too, and you may end up without an internet connection in some areas.
To avoid having these problems, before you buy an eSIM card from any of the previous providers, you have to check which networks they connect to in Chile. If they connect to the networks of Movistar, Claro, or Entel, then your connection will be great. The eSIM card from Holafly connects to the Movistar and Entel network, some of the best in the country.
Movistar 4G coverage map
Claro 4G coverage map
Entel 4G coverage map
Can I get my eSIM card from local cellular operators?
If you are planning to live in Santiago de Chile, or you are going to stay there for a long time, and you want to be connected to the internet, we recommend you get a local eSIM card. These eSIM cards are just like the ones we mentioned before, but instead of buying them from an international provider, you buy them from a local operator in Chile.
However, this means, that it is a little bit complicated to get. You have to go to a physical store from the local operator and ask for a prepaid or postpaid data plan that includes an eSIM card. Remember that you will have to take your passport and personal information with you because the operator may ask for it.
The local operators are the following:
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Santiago de Chile
No, it is not necessary. But some providers may ask for your address, so you will need a temporary address in Santiago de Chile, such as a Hotel.
It will depend on your provider. Some will let you do it, while others won’t.
The activation process will depend on your cellphone. Usually, all you have to do is to scan the QR code that you receive in your email. Then, you have to pick the eSIM card as the cellular data provider, turn on the data roaming and that’s it! Easy-peasy.
There are two aspects that you have to take into account: the amount of cellular data you usually use, and the number of days you are going to stay at your destination. With all this information, you will be able to pick the best eSIM card.
There are many ways to connect to the internet during your trip, but most of them are costly or uncomfortable. Some of them are international roaming or the Pocket WiFi.