Egypt is a North African country with a wonderful legacy, from the pyramids of Giza to the historic quarter of Cairo. If you’re heading off to Egypt this year you can expect a great trip – but have you thought about a SIM card to access the internet and use your cell phone in Egypt?
Having internet during your travels is essential in today’s world. You need a strong internet connection to keep in touch with friends and family on WhatsApp, to be able to book taxis or trains and to search for local attractions and restaurants. That’s why we recommend that you buy a data SIM card for Egypt before you head out.
We’ll help you find the best international SIM card for Egypt with a comparison of the data SIM products offered.
- 1 Why buy a international SIM card for Egypt?
- 2 Which prepaid SIM card for Egypt offers me the most data at the best price?
- 3 Where to buy the best data SIM card for Egypt?
- 4 Buying Egypt SIM card from an online shop
- 5 How much does a data SIM for Egypt cost?
- 6 Buying a SIM card in Egypt, in Hurghada and Cairo with Vodafone, Orange or Etisalat
- 7 Best SIM card for Egypt: Which one to buy?
- 8 Frequently asked questions about internet and SIM cards for Egypt
Why buy a international SIM card for Egypt?
We know that travelers need to be connected to the internet at all times, whether it’s to look for restaurants, book hotels, and cabs through apps, watch videos, or stream music while touring Egypt. That’s why you need to buy a SIM card and forget about the high price of data roaming in Egypt.
And did you know that just by reading this article we can offer you a 5% discount on a SIM card for Egypt? Take a look below.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF. Code: roaming5
Which prepaid SIM card for Egypt offers me the most data at the best price?
You should look for a SIM card with the highest amount of data at the lowest price. Holafly’s Egypt eSIM card is preferred by many travelers. It offers a SIM card with 5GB of cellular data, for 15-day stays and with an excellent 4G connection from Orange, the main network provider in the country. It also allows you to share internet with your travel companions.
You’ll find our comparison of the SIM cards offered by Holafly, SIM Corner, and One SIM card later in the article.
Where to buy the best data SIM card for Egypt?
We recommend buying your Eygpt SIM card from an online store before you travel. It is possible to buy a SIM card once you arrive in Egypt, but this may be difficult if you do not speak Arabic and you could be charged high prices as a tourist.
The best option is Holafly’s Egypt SIM card. But we’ll talk you through all the options from Holafly, SIM Corner, and OneSIM Card.
Buying Egypt SIM card from an online shop
The safest and quickest method is to buy the SIM card is before you travel. Just order it online, have it delivered to your home and pack it in your suitcase to Egypt. Here are the main online providers.
Holafly Egypt SIM Card
Holafly offers a data SIM card with 6GB of data over 15 days. It has 3 and 4G speed from Orange coverage. You can also share your data with other devices, receive free shipping to your home, and receive 24-hour support from Holafly’s exclusive support team.
- Totally free shipping, there are no additional costs unless you require urgent delivery
- Share your data between devices
- Make and receive local SMS/calls in Egypt
- Holafly will help you if you have any technical difficulties through their 24-hour support team
- If you’re travelling for more than 15 days, you might need to buy two SIM cards
Corner SIM card for Egypt
SIM Corner offers a SIM card for 15 days with 6 GB of data but charges a shipping fee.
- 24-hour support.
- You can use the card to pay with platforms like Google’s G pay.
- You might be charged for delivery
- If you’re travelling for more than 15 days, you might need to buy two SIM cards
One SIM Card for travel to Egypt
One SIM Card charges you for the card, data, and shipping separately. One benefit is that you will receive text messages for free in Egypt. This is the most expensive of the three options.
- It has a wide variety of data plans.
- You can buy credit for calls and SMS in Egypt.
- You will have to pay a fee for the SIM card and for shipping.
- The cost for cellular data is one of the most expensive.
How much does a data SIM for Egypt cost?
Let’s now find out which of the SIM cards is the cheapest.
|SIM card cost||Cost data plan||Shipping cost||Total cost|
|One SIM Card||$31||$96||$3||$130|
Holafly is upfront about its price and is the cheapest on the market. It also has excellent coverage and speed. That’s why we recommend Holafly for your SIM card to Egypt.
Buying a SIM card in Egypt, in Hurghada and Cairo with Vodafone, Orange or Etisalat
If you are unable to purchase your data SIM before arriving in Egypt, you can purchase it at the airport or in cellular provider stores.
This option might take more time, be more expensive, and be harder if you don’t speak the local language.
The main cellular operators in Egypt are Vodafone Egypt, Orange, formerly Mobinil, Etisalat, and WE, formerly Telecom Egypt. But what’s the best option?
Vodafone Egypt Local SIM card
Vodafone, partly owned by Egyptian operator Telecom, is one of the country’s leading mobile operators and has a prepaid SIM card for Egypt exclusively for tourists. It lasts 30 days and has 4G coverage.
- Your data SIM card features cellular data, local and international calls.
- A variety of data packages are available.
- You will have to send an SMS message to activate your data package.
Orange Egypt cards for tourists
Orange is the main cellular operator in Egypt and their connection is excellent. Since 2017 they have offered 4G coverage in most of the country. Their data packages have different prices and quantities, from 25 MB upwards.
- It has a data package only for social networks called “GO”.
- It has cards only for tourists.
- Its data packages only have coverage for either 1 day or 30 days.
Etisalat SIM card in Egypt
Etisalat is one of the smallest operators in the country but has SIM cards for Egypt with data, calls, and SMS.
- It has data packages only for social networks that cover 1 GB.
- Its tourist SIM card, called Hi Traveller!, can last up to 3 months.
- As with the previous options, you will only be able to activate these packages by sending an SMS (like *566+15# for the social networks package).
- Its coverage is small, reaching only 22% of the country.
Best SIM card for Egypt: Which one to buy?
Holafly offers the best data SIM card for Egypt, which for a price of 55USD offers 6GB of mobile data at Orange’s 4G speed lasting up to 15 days. You can even share data with other devices. If you cannot receive your SIM at home, don’t worry: you can buy a Holafly Egypt eSIM.
Here is why Holafly is the best option:
- Easy to use. Just insert the card and activate “roaming or data roaming“.
- Keep your WhatsApp number so you can stay connected with your friends and family.
- Free shipping to your home.
- Share internet with other devices.
- 24/7 tech support available.
Forget about costly roaming charges in Egypt. With a Holafly SIM card, you arrive, insert your SIM card, and surf the web right away.
Frequently asked questions about internet and SIM cards for Egypt
Without a doubt, the best option is to buy a SIM card for Egypt, as it will save you from costly data roaming charges when you return.
Roaming is not cheap at all in Egypt. Costs range from $7 to $15 per MB consumed. This means that if you watch a movie on Netflix, you could be charged hundreds of dollars.
You should look at the amount of data and the number of days the card offers. Also, make sure that the final price includes shipping costs and other expenses, so you avoid surprises when paying.
The easiest way is to buy from online suppliers like Holafly, or when you arrive at your destination at the airport and in providers’ stores.
The costs of a SIM vary according to the length of the data plan, delivery costs, and whether you are provided with a phone number in Egypt. Holafly offers 6GB of data for €47, without delivery costs.