Osaka is one of the most important cities in Japan. Thousands of tourists travel each year to appreciate the architectural beauty of its streets and buildings, such as the Umeda Sky Building. Therefore, to see everything that this city has to offer, it’s important that you know how to get internet in Japan. If it’s your first time in this city and you’re looking for a convenient and cheap option to connect, you’ve come to the right place. Certainly, here we will show you how you can buy and use the eSIM with data for Osaka.
With this new Osaka data eSIM, you’ll connect to the internet at a cheaper price than other products or services such as roaming. You’ll also have access to additional benefits that will make your trip an unforgettable experience. Without further ado, say goodbye to the connection headaches and say hello to online travels!
- 1 Requirements to install the eSIM card for Osaka
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers to travel to Osaka
- 3 Rates and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Osaka
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Osaka
- 5 Features of the eSIM to travel to Osaka
- 6 Mobile coverage of the eSIM to travel to Osaka
- 7 Local mobile eSIM providers in Osaka
- 8 FAQ about eSIM for Osaka
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
Requirements to install the eSIM card for Osaka
The first thing you should know about this new alternative to roaming in Japan is that, although it’s an option with many advantages, there’s a small detail that you must consider before buying it. As it is a fairly new product, there are a couple of requirements that you have to meet. These requirements, in particular, are:
- You must have a smartphone compatible with eSIM technology. If you’re uncertain if your smartphone supports this technology, we invite you to look for your cellular device in the following list of eSIM-compatible cellphones.
- Your email service must be active. From there, your eSIM will be sent to you using a QR code.
- Once you have your eSIM and conduct the activation process, remember that you must have the internet to activate the eSIM correctly.
- The eSIM can only be activated once you arrive in Osaka.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
Mobile eSIM card providers to travel to Osaka
Now that you know and meet the conditions above, the next step to connect to the internet with your eSIM for Osaka during your vacation will be to contact an eSIM provider. Currently, there are two types of eSIM providers. First, the international operators, which offer eSIM for multiple destinations, such as an eSIM for Asia, or an eSIM for Hong Kong, at a reasonable price and valid for a couple of weeks. These types of providers are especially focused on travelers.
And second, there are some local providers only offer eSIM for the country’s residents, which in this case would be Japan. These types of providers offer eSIMs with a fairly long validity period since they are specially designed for residents of Japan and not so much for travelers. This makes the purchase and activation process much more complicated than with international providers.
When traveling to Osaka you’ll be able to find both local and international providers. Which are:
- Au (Local)
Rates and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Osaka
As you may guess, being distinctive providers, they will offer you an eSIM through various channels and options, and, obviously, at different prices. On the one hand, international providers such as Holafly will offer you a prepaid eSIM with a defined data plan and with a flat validity period. On the other hand, local providers, such as Au, will offer you an eSIM that will be linked to a prepaid or postpaid data plan. This postpaid plan will have to be paid every month for a certain period, which is usually one year.
Holafly plans and prices in Osaka
- 5 days with unlimited data at $19 USD
- 10 days with unlimited data at $34
- 15 days with unlimited data at $47
- 20 days with unlimited data at $54
- 30 days with unlimited data at $64
- 60 days with unlimited data at $84
- 90 days with unlimited data at $99
Au plans and prices in Osaka
- 7 GB each month at $50
Comparison of eSIM providers for Osaka
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||Unlimited||30||$64||Spanish, English, French and German||Web|
|Au||7 GB||30||$50||English||Physical store|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Osaka
If the previous data rates seemed attractive for you to buy the eSIM for Osaka, it’s important that, before making any purchase, you’re familiar with the features. For this reason, we have compiled a short list of general features of eSIMs so that you know what this product offers during your vacation.
- eSIMs from international providers will only provide you with data connectivity. Therefore, other services such as calls will have to be made through apps such as WhatsApp or Skype.
- In the case of Apple smartphones, that is, iPhone XS and more recent models, once the eSIM is activated, it will become a fully Dual SIM phone. This means you can use the eSIM and the SIM card at the same time!
- The eSIM plans can be saved on the phone, that is, you can have several eSIMs on your cellphone, but you can only use one at the same time.
- You can only install them once after purchase, so avoid uninstalling your eSIM at all costs.
- With some providers, you can enjoy additional benefits, such as the Holafly eSIM for Osaka which allows you to share the internet with your friends.
- As it is a virtual product, the shipping cost and the waiting time don’t exist.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Turkey)
Mobile coverage of the eSIM to travel to Osaka
We know that the data rate is one of the most important aspects when deciding which of the above providers to buy your eSIM with. However, in addition to this matter, the coverage that your eSIM will provide during your trip is also essential. This is because it doesn’t matter how much data you have, if you don’t have good coverage, you won’t be able to get the most out of it.
So that this doesn’t happen to you during your vacation in Osaka, we recommend that you check the cellular network to which you’re going to connect once you activate your eSIM. In the case of the Holafly eSIM for Osaka, it connects to the Docomo cellular network, one of the best Japanese carrier. Ergo, with it, you can ensure your cellular coverage throughout your vacation.
Docomo 4G coverage map in Osaka
Local mobile eSIM providers in Osaka
If you’re interested in staying in Osaka for a student exchange or work trip, local eSIMs may be your best option. They are specially designed to provide internet and other services to residents of Japan. To get one of these eSIMs, the first thing you have to do is get or request a prepaid or postpaid plan. Once you buy your plan, you’ll have the right to decide if you want it to be through a SIM or an eSIM. But, remember that with local carriers or local cellular providers, you won’t be able to get an eSIM for more than one destination, in case you want to travel through Asia and have an eSIM for Taiwan, or an eSIM for Korea.
FAQ about eSIM for Osaka
If you have any doubts, then we will answer the most frequently asked questions that travelers usually have regarding the eSIM for Osaka.
This depends on the provider you choose. In the case of local eSIMs, by default, they have the option to link with other devices such as smartwatches.
In the case of international eSIMs, you can’t top it up. Therefore, once the stipulated useful life of the eSIM ends, it can no longer be used. In the case of local eSIMs, these can be used until the end of the data plan. After that, you can decide whether to top it up or extend the contract.
In addition to eSIM cards with data, other options will allow you to connect to the internet. These alternatives are roaming from your operator or Pocket WiFi. However, these types of options are usually much more expensive than eSIMs.
The best time to activate your eSIM is once you land at your destination. Although it can be activated in advance, it’s best to wait until you arrive at the airport or your hotel.
eSIM for other destinations
If you liked this post, we invite you to take a look at the following, where you can learn how to connect to the internet with your eSIM in your next destinations.