Knowing South Korea is a dream come true, especially if you are a fan of its culture and music. That’s one of the reasons why you need the internet. Anyway, getting a roaming service to travel can be a little bit expensive. So, to help you save money, we are going to show you the eSIM for South Korea, a new alternative.
The eSIM card is the evolution of the traditional SIM card, which works virtually and it already comes inserted into the cellphone’s hardware.
The best part is that this technology has brought new ways to connect to the internet. You don’t need any extra device, as it happens with the Pocket Wifi or physical SIM cards. In this article, we will tell you all you need to know about it, how it works, its characteristics, and its providers, and you will also find a comparison table with its prices and data plans.
eSIM card for South Korea: what you need to know
When you visit different and beautiful places in South Korea, you will want to share your experiences with your loved ones. Before you start with your adventure, we are going to show you the requisites to get an eSIM card:
- Make sure your cellphone is eSIM compatible.
- You will have to make sure that your device is compatible with the eSIM card that your provider offers.
- You need an email account to receive the eSIM card.
- You will have to be connected to the internet to make the eSIM activation, and download the profile.
- Some providers may ask you to download their mobile app.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card for South Korea providers
If you have decided that you want to get an eSIM card, you have to know about the providers. The companies that offer eSIM cards for travelers are the following:
eSIM card for South Korea data plans and prices
Now that you have already read about the providers that offer this product for your trip, it’s time you read about the prices and data plans. If you are planning to travel to more than one destination, we recommend you take a look at the eSIM card for Asia. We are going to show you below the information about the different data plans available, so you can pick the one that best suits your needs and budget.
Holafly eSIM card for South Korea: data plans and prices
- Unlimited data for 5 days at USD 19
- Unlimited data for 7 days at USD 27
- Unlimited data for 10 days at USD 34
- Unlimited data for 15 days at USD 47
- Unlimited data for 20 days at USD 54
TravelSIM eSIM card for South Korea: data plans and prices
- 5GB during 30 days at $87
- 2GB during 30 days at $35
- 1GB during 30 days at $19
GigSky eSIM card for South Korea: data plans and prices
- 3GB during 30 days at $49
WifiMap eSIM card for South Korea: data plans and prices
- 3GB during 30 days at $14.00
- 10GB during 30 days at $30.00
eSIM card for South Korea providers: a comparison
|Provider||Mobile data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where to buy it|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5, 7, 10, 15, or 20 days||$19-$54||English, German, French, and Spanish||Web|
|TravelSIM||1GB to 5GB||30 days||$19-$87||Spanish, English, Portuguese||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|GigSky||3GB||30 days||$49.99||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||3GB to 10GB||30 days||$14.00-$30.00||English, Russian||Web, App Store, Play Store|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for South Korea
Since the functioning of the eSIM card is completely virtual, there are some characteristics that you should know. You can read them below:
- Most eSIM cards are for only data, which means that they won’t let you make calls. If you want to communicate with someone you can do it using mobile apps such as WhatsApp or Skype.
- The eSIM card can be installed only once, so if you have any problems do not erase it before calling your provider.
- Some eSIM cards configure the APN automatically.
- You can have more than one data plan, but you can only use one at a time.
- Some eSIM cards let you share your mobile data.
- Your smartphone will become a dual-SIM, which means that you will be able to use the eSIM and the traditional SIM card at the same time.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
eSIM card for South Korea coverage
Do not forget to call your provider and ask them about the coverage. It is very important because the connection may vary depending on the roaming accords they have with the local operators. The best networks in this destination are the following:
- LG Uplus
- SK Telecom
KT 5G coverage map
LG uplus 4G coverage map
SK Telecom 4G coverage map
Can I get my eSIM card from local operators?
If you are planning to stay at your destination for a longer time, because of studies or work, you can do it. You will find below the companies that offer local eSIM cards. You have to know that you have to fit some requisites to get this product.
- SK Telecom
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for South Korea
No, you don’t. But some providers may ask for your address.
Yes, the eSIM card for South Korea will let you share your mobile data with other devices. Anyway, you should check this with your provider.
After installing the eSIM profile, you must pick it as the mobile data provider, turn on the mobile data and data roaming, and that’s it!
Yes, just like traditional SIM cards, the eSIM has an expiration date.
From the very first moment, you activate the eSIM card, by scanning the QR code.