If you are thinking about traveling to certain cities, like Kyoto, for example, you need to be prepared for the adventure. When it comes to Japan, one of the best cities for travelers to visit is for sure Kyoto. Known before as the Capital of Japan, it is still one of the go-to cities where those interested can enjoy many things. There are numerous places to visit, the culture is quite rich there, and that’s just to say some things.
Therefore, having access to an eSIM for Kyoto is one of the best alternatives to keep in mind. It is one of those tools that will make things a lot easier for everyone, which is something great to know. That’s why in this case, we’ll discuss the eSIM for Kyoto and tell why it is the best alternative for traveling there.
Here in Roami, we look to provide useful guides for travelers, so if you need one of them for traveling to Kyoto with an eSIM, you are in the right place!
What you should know about the Kyoto eSIM card
Traveling to Kyoto is getting to know one of the most beautiful places there are in Japan. There’s a lot to see and places to visit, especially because we are talking about the old capital of the country, which makes it even more interesting for travelers to visit. It is basically a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
So, why should people take an eSIM to Kyoto? But what’s more important, what should travelers know about the Kyoto eSIM card? Let’s talk a bit more about it and the features included.
- When buying an eSIM, check that your device is eSIM compatible.
- All eSIMs must be bought using a valid physical and email address.
- Consumers need to have a prior internet connection to activate the eSIM once it’s purchased, as it needs to download some data.
- Depending on the eSIM carrier, people might need to download an app to use the eSIM.
- Some providers offer unlimited data plans when traveling.
With this information, those interested can get to know whether to use an eSIM or not. If the answer is no, there are other alternatives to use, so there’s no need to worry.
Cellular providers of eSIM cards to travel to Kyoto:
There are different eSIM providers available for people to use when it comes to eSIMs in Tokyo. There’s no need to worry about not having enough options. Let’s elaborate on the three different carriers people can get to use there:
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers to travel to Kyoto
When it comes to traveling, knowing the rates and data plans offered by an eSIM is a crucial. This is a must-know, and the same happens with other features like roaming, coverage, and more. So, let’s talk about this.
Currently, one of the most popular eSIM carriers is Holafly. They have become one of the most important alternatives for people to use when using an eSIM for Kyoto and for other 100 different destinations around the world. There’s no doubt it is one of the better alternatives available in the market nowadays.
Of course, there’s more behind the Holafly eSIM, such as the features it provides and how easy it is to buy one. Buying one from the official website is something easy to do, and buyers won’t take more than a few minutes to complete this process. Surely, the most complicated thing is to choose the best data plan available, as there are many options!
Other than this, there’s nothing to worry about regarding the eSIM, as customers will also get unlimited cellular data for Kyoto, and there’s no limit on how many eSIMs someone can buy.
Pros of Holafly’s eSIM for Kyoto:
- All data plans have high-speed networks.
- Customer support from Holafly is available 24/7.
- There’s no limit on how many eSIMs people can buy when traveling.
- Data plans are accessible to all types of travelers.
Cons of Holafly’s eSIM for Kyoto:
- There’s no phone call support.
- There’s no SMS support.
- People can’t share cellular data with unlimited data plans.
When it comes to talking about GigSky, it is important for people to keep some things in mind. The company offers people different alternatives, but their strongest services go for short strips. There are different data plans available, and people, of course, can choose the one they prefer.
It is important to tell GigSky has an app that allows people to manage everything from there easily.
Pros of GigSky eSIM:
- There are different data plans and destinations available.
- Easy to manage with the official app.
- Variety of eSIMs and data plans.
- Has in-flight data.
Cons of GigSky eSIM:
- Coverage is not as strongest as the one offered by other companies.
- The price is higher compared to what it offers.
- There’s no SMS or phone call feature.
Our last alternative for people to travel is Ubigi. Just like the rest of the companies, they offer different eSIMs and data plans according to travelers’ needs. There’s no need to worry about not being enough ways for users to stay connected while traveling. But none of the eSIMs they offer come with unlimited data.
What’s good about Ubigi is the fact people have access to an effortless purchase process and a top-up service. It makes it a complete alternative even though there are some features that need improvement.
Pros of Ubigi eSIM for Kyoto:
- People can top-up their eSIMs with Ubigi.
- The purchase process is quite easy to complete.
- People can choose from a variety of data plans.
Cons of Ubigi eSIM for Kyoto:
- There aren’t SMS or phone calls with the Ubigi eSIM.
- Prices are high compared to what it offers.
- People need to create an account to use Ubigi.
Comparison of eSIM providers for Kyoto
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||5||$19||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||10||$34||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||15||$47||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||20||$54||Spanish, English, German, and French|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||30||$64||Spanish, English, German, and French|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||60||$84||Spanish, English, German, and French|
|Holafly||Unlimited Data||90||$99||Spanish, English, German, and French|
|GigSky||1GB||7||$14||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Kyoto
For those wanting to know more about the features of the eSIM to travel to Kyoto, let’s take a closer look. There are different features for people to keep in mind:
- For traveling eSIMs, people need to remember that, in most cases, phone calls and text messages aren’t included in the eSIM plan.
- People can’t change their eSIM from one device to another. They are meant to be used on one device at a time.
- Most eSIMs will activate the APN automatically, but it will depend on the carrier.
- Some companies allow users to share cellular data. This varies depending on the data plan that’s offered.
- eSIMs can work alongside SIM cards. There’s no need to worry about not being able to use a SIM card when traveling. People simply need to check out that their SIM card is not using the roaming service.
Mobile internet coverage map for travel to Kyoto
In case you want to travel to Kyoto, there are some extra things to remember. It is important for people to know about the coverage maps of the cellular carriers there. So, let’s talk about the different companies available in Kyoto:
- Rakuten Mobile
- au by KDDI
- NTT DoCoMo
au by KDDI 4G coverage map in Kyoto
Rakuten Mobile 4G coverage map in Kyoto
NTT DoMoCo 4G coverage map in Kyoto
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Kyoto
When it comes to talking about alternatives in Kyoto, it’s fair to say that using an eSIM from a local company is a good one. But not everyone knows how to get one or what to expect from them. So let’s take a profound look at how these companies work.
eSIM Rakuten Mobile Kyoto
Rakuten is one of the most important carriers in Japan. They have a wide coverage map all around the country, and they also offer eSIMs. Using an eSIM from the company is not complicated, at least for those who are already clients of Rakuten there in Japan. It will work with the different data plans from the company, and people can ask for it online.
Another thing to talk about is the benefits of using an eSIM from Rakuten, so let’s talk about it.
Benefits of Rakuten eSIM in Kyoto
For people who are eager to know more about the benefits offered by Rakuten, let’s talk about it. Just like other cellular carriers, Rakuten offers different benefits to its customers. So for those wondering what it offers, let’s see:
- The eSIM from Rakuten comes with cellular data, phone calls, and SMS.
- People can request an eSIM from Rakuten online. There’s no need to go to a store.
- Rakuten’s customers can manage their eSIM using the Rakuten official app.
- People can still use a SIM card once they have activated an eSIM.
How to activate a Rakuten eSIM in Kyoto.
For those who want to use an eSIM, knowing how to activate it is important. People need to keep in mind how to complete this process, as it might vary a bit. In this case, the eSIM from Rakuten is activated differently. But don’t worry; it’s actually easier than other eSIMs.
Once people have requested their eSIM online, the activation will take place either on the Rakuten app or website. People need to complete a KYC verification and once it’s done, they will be able to activate the eSIM.
It is a bit different from the general rule, but as everything is managed through the app and customers can get some sort of guidance, there’s no need to worry about it.
FAQ about eSIM Kyoto
After everything we have said, it’s time to discuss certain things about the eSIM for Kyoto. So, let’s provide more information that can connect with everything we have said here for travelers to remember.
No. For people who are using international eSIMs, these aren’t re-toppable. There’s no refill option for cellular data. People need to buy a new one.
People can either use an app to activate it or do the manual process. If the second method is the one being used, people need to go to “Mobile Data” first. Once there, people need to scan the QR code and wait until the eSIM is installed.
Some eSIMs do have an expiry date. This happens when people buy eSIMs that last for a certain number of days. Some eSIMs don’t have this feature.
It will depend on the cellular carrier travelers are using. It’s not the same as buying an eSIM from an international cellular carrier like Holafly as buying one from Rakuten Mobile. For local companies, it is surely necessary to have one.
Yes, but that’s a feature that not all companies offer. Companies with unlimited data plans don’t always have this feature activated. But traditional carriers have this feature available.
For the eSIM to start working, people need to activate it and start the roaming service.
No. The eSIM technology is not available for all devices. It is important for people to check that they have an eSIM compatible device before buying one.