Indonesia is a country that anyone would like to visit. Just thinking about the beaches in Bali, and visiting its marine parks or volcanoes, makes us want to pack our bags immediately for this country. So if your next travel destination is Indonesia, you don’t want to be without mobile internet with which you can share your best moments. And the best option to stay connected is with an eSIM for Indonesia.
This service will allow you to save the high costs that you might have with other services, such as international roaming or even renting a Pocket WiFi.
That is why through this article, we will be telling you all about the eSIM for Indonesia, from the requirements to acquire one, its costs, features, and much more.
What you should know about the eSIM card in Indonesia:
eSIMs have become one of the favorite options among travelers. Not only because of their affordable cost but also because they are very easy to acquire and install. This is because eSIMs work virtually, so the entire process of purchasing one is done online.
However, before you purchase an eSIM for Indonesia, you need to know certain requirements that you will have to meet in order to have one of these. We will discuss them below:
- First of all, you must check that your cell phone is compatible with eSIM technology. Since this type of service works mostly with the latest generation cell phones. And also, make sure that the operator or provider with which you are planning to buy your eSIM card is compatible.
- It is essential to have an email address to register and receive your eSIM when you buy it.
- Being connected to the internet is essential to activate your eSIM. So we recommend you find a place with wifi in Indonesia to do it.
- In most cases, the eSIM is activated through a QR code. So make sure your phone has a scanner reader.
- Some providers work through mobile applications, so you may have to download the App on your cell phone.
- In most cases, your passport or ID will not be required for an eSIM purchase.
If your smartphone does not support eSIMs, then you can purchase a SIM card. So you can read our article SIM card Indonesia to learn more about them.
Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Indonesia
If, after verifying the requirements for acquiring an eSIM, you find that you will indeed be able to purchase one for your trip, then it is important that you know where to buy one. Currently, there are many eSIM card providers internationally. However, some of the ones with which you will have the best services are the following providers:
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for Indonesia
Surely you must be wondering about the costs you will have if you purchase an eSIM for your trip to Indonesia. Below you will find a detailed list of the plans and prices of the above-mentioned providers.
Many of these providers work as virtual stores, and you will be able to purchase their services through their websites or cell phone applications, where you can make your purchases through different payment methods.
Holafly eSIM card for Indonesia with unlimited data
One of the online providers that tourists most use is Holafly. On their website, you can quickly search for Indonesia or any other country as your destination, choose one of the available packages and make your purchase easier. It offers excellent speed and stability for cities like Bali, Jakarta, and Ubud among others, including unlimited data in all its plans.
As for the costs of the Holafly eSIM for Indonesia, we can find packages of 5 days of use for 19$ up to 30 days of use for 64$ for medium visits. If you plan to spend more time in the country, there are also two packages of 60 and 90 days for $84 and $99, respectively. In all usage periods, you will be enjoying unlimited data plus benefits such as:
Pros of Holafly’s eSIM for Indonesia:
- Safe and hassle-free, the purchase process can be completed in just minutes.
- You will be connected to a 4G network with the possibility to use unlimited data.
- Activation is fast and can be done immediately after your purchase.
- Outstanding customer service by users from all over the world 24 hours a day, every day
- You can keep your WhatsApp number from your home country and use the eSIM for Indonesia at the same time.
Cons of Holafly’s eSIM for Indonesia:
- You cannot use Holafly eSIM if your phone is incompatible with this service.
- You can’t share data with other mobiles.
- You cannot make analog calls, but you can make calls via WhatsApp.
MTX Connect eSIM card for Indonesia: data plans and prices
This store offers a global eSIM with coverage in about 90 countries, including Indonesia. These global eSIMs can be purchased through their website, and manage your data usage through their mobile App. You can select a Pay-as-you-go eSIM valid for 30 days at a rate of $0.012 per Mb. Your other options are seven days and 2GB of usage, 14 days and 4GB of usage, or 30 days and 10GB of usage for $15, $25, and $60, respectively.
As advertised on their website, the costs do not include taxes or fees, so depending on your country of origin; you may pay a little more. In case you want to add an MTX Connect number to receive analog messages, you will have to pay an annual subscription of approximately $60. In order to make the purchase, MTX Connect will ask you to confirm that your phone is compatible with eSIM technology.
Pros of MTX Connect eSIM for Indonesia:
- You can opt for a Pay-as-you-go plan.
- In their App, they have a virtual chat option to interact with other MTX eSIMs.
- You can include analog messages
- Coverage in various countries
Cons of MTX Connect eSIM for Indonesia:
- No functional unlimited data options.
- They do not have long stay plans, only less than 30 days.
- For the Pay-as-you-go option, the rate per MB is expensive.
- You will need to register on their website to proceed with the purchase.
SIM2Fly eSIM card for Indonesia: data plans and prices
A final alternative to buying eSIM fon Indonesia is through SIM2fly and its AIS SIM2Fly eSIM 6GB Asia Plan. These have coverage in 34 countries in the Asian continent, including Indonesia. The package costs about $25 with a duration of eight days and offers unlimited data, but only the first 6GB is at 5G speed, after which there is a significant speed reduction. You can buy the eSIM through their website with credit or debit cards, Paypal, and Apple pay as payment methods. We will tell you about the pros and cons of this provider.
Pros of SIM2Fly eSIM for Indonesia:
- Immediate delivery after purchase.
- 24/7 customer service.
- Includes a local Thai number
- Coverage in various countries.
Cons of SIM2Fly eSIM for Indonesia:
- You suffer a significant speed reduction (2G and 128 kbps) after the first 6GB.
- You cannot share or remove the eSIM once you are using it.
- No refunds once you use eSIM
- The eSIM can only be used once, so if you want to transfer it to another phone, you will have to buy it again.
Comparison of eSIM providers for Indonesia
|Spanish, English, German, and French
|Spanish, English, German, and French
|Spanish, English, German, and French
|Web, Play store, App Store
|Web, Play store, App Store
|Web, Play store, App Store
|App Store, Google Play
Features of eSIM cards for traveling to Indonesia
Another important aspect that you should know before buying any product is to know about its features. That way, you will be able to compare it with other alternatives and, therefore, verify that it is the best option for you.
That is why we will give you a detailed description of the main features of the eSIM for Indonesia:
- The eSIMs are very easy to purchase online. As we mentioned before, they are mostly activated with QR codes.
- Most eSIMs do not offer to call or message services. Since almost all of them work mostly with mobile data, however, you will be able to communicate through applications like Skype or WhatsApp.
- With an eSIM, you don’t have to change your phone number, so you can continue to use your phone number on your WhatsApp.
- Some eSIMs offer unlimited data, so you won’t need top-ups or worry about running out of data.
- You can add multiple data plans of the eSIM to your cellphone, although only one can be used at a time.
- If you use an eSIM for your trip, your cell phone will become a dual SIM. Remember to set up your cell phone to avoid surprise bills from your local operator.
eSIM coverage for traveling to Indonesia
When purchasing an eSIM from any provider, it is important that you verify the coverage that you will have with them when using their eSIM service. As it could happen that you have a plan with the best features but with bad coverage in the place, you will be staying.
That is why we recommend you check which operator you will be connected with during your trip to Indonesia and also verify how is the coverage with that company.
Therefore, we encourage you to review the following coverage maps of the companies Smartfren, IM3 Ooredoo, XL Axiata, and Telkomsel, as they are the best phone companies in Indonesia.
Smartfren LET coverage map in Indonesia.
IM3 Ooredoo 4G network coverage in Indonesia.
XL Axiata 4G coverage map in Indonesia Telkomsel
Telkomsel 4G network coverage map in Indonesia
Local mobile operators offering eSIMs in Indonesia
If you are considering buying your eSIM once you arrive in the country because your stay will be longer, you can do it through local operators. At the moment, two companies offer this service to their customers, and they are IM3 Ooredoo and Smartfren. We take this opportunity to remind you that you must go through Indonesia’s SIM card registration scheme. These laws apply to both SIM and eSIM services, and you will be asked for information that, as a tourist, you may not be able to provide. With this in mind, we will talk more about each of the options.
eSIM IM3 Ooredoo
This company has incorporated eSIM technology since 2023 and has gradually expanded the points where it can be purchased locally. Their costs and available plans are the same as their physical SIM cards and even allow switching from an existing number to eSIM. This slow incorporation has meant that they are only available at official stores in the city of Jakarta. This product is available in prepaid and postpaid versions, but in both cases, you must submit your personal information to the Indonesian registration system.
Benefits of the IM3 Ooredoo eSIM in Indonesia
In addition to allowing its existing customers to exchange their physical SIM cards for an eSIM, the company also offers all its plans and data packages in this format. It also provides its website with complete guides for installation on various models of mobile phones. You can expect to have the following benefits when signing up for their services:
- Access to new technology
- Easy and simple to install
- Available and able to subscribe to packages in your catalog
How to Activate an IM3 Ooredoo eSIM for Indonesia
The process to buy them is to locate an official store, make the purchase, verify your personal data and the phone’s IMEI, and finally scan the QR and activate. On their website, you will be able to confirm the stores with eSIM available since not all of them allow you to buy them. If you are unsure how to install the eSIM after scanning, we invite you to check the guides IM3 Ooredoo has on its website for Samsung, Apple, Huawei, Oppo, and others.
This is the operator that has advanced the most in eSIM services for its customers, offering prepaid and postpaid packages. Among their most popular options, they have an eSIM package called Unlimited Nonstop to be used in 30 days and with capacities of 12GB, 30GB, and 45GB to choose from. They also allow you to add extra services, such as monthly subscriptions to local streaming channels. You can pre-order through their website, but you must still go to a physical location for setup.
Benefits of the Smartfren eSIM in Indonesia
Among the advantages that we can find with Smartfren is the reach and distribution that their eSIMs have throughout the country. They also allow you to customize the plans you choose to activate with additional services that make your daily life easier. In the postpaid plans, there are versions with unlimited data, but to which usage policies can be applied. Other benefits you get are:
- Free calls and messages to local numbers
- Opportunity to use physical SIM and eSIM on the same device
- Allows you to scan up to ten times on the same device if needed
How to Activate a Smartfren eSIM for Indonesia
The first step is to pre-order the service online or go to one of the available physical stores, then make the purchase. You will obtain the eSIM QR code through Smartfren’s gallery and certain cooperating retail outlets. Ensure your device is connected to the Internet before scanning the QR code. Scan the QR code from your device, and continue the installation process until it is finished, then Smartfren eSIM will be automatically installed on your device.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Indonesia
We have already told you many facts about eSIM for Indonesia. However, here are some frequently asked questions that travelers tend to ask.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you need to choose it as your default mobile data medium, turn on data, and then the roaming and your virtual SIM should be working.
It is not necessary to present a passport. Some providers do require your address. This applies only to the tourist eSIM.
Some eSIMs allow sharing of data with other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
Most of the following cell phones are compatible with the eSIM for Indonesia. However, we recommend that you also check the cell phones of the provider with which you will purchase your eSIM.
The eSIM compatible phones are: All models from the iPhone XS, XR onward, including the iPhone SE 2 (2020). From the Samsung Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra onwards. Samsung Galaxy Fold, Fold 2, and onwards. From the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 and onwards. Samsung Galaxy Z Flip and onwards.
Also, Huawei P40, P0 Pro, and later models. Huawei Mate 40 Pro and later models. Google Pixel 3, 3a (some versions do not allow eSIM). Google Pixel 4, 4 XL, 4a, 5, and later models. Oppo Find X3 Pro, Oppo Reno 5A. Motorola Razr (2019), Motorola Razr 5G (dual SIM).