Traveling around Germany connected to your social networks at all times is totally possible and there are plenty of options on the market to choose from, but not everything offered is usually comfortable for a traveler and even more so when you know that roaming abroad can be very expensive. Therefore, within this range of options, we suggest eSIM, a convenient, easy-to-use tool that will make your trip easier, since you will avoid paying excessive data costs.
The eSIMs for travelers to Germany work virtually and getting one is usually a simple and fast process. The best part is that you will not have to change your phone number or go to a physical store to complete the process since you can do it from the comfort of your home when you are planning your trip! In this article, we will teach you all about this virtual card, its benefits, how it works, the different eSIM carriers that are on the market, and much more! Welcome to our article on the best way to travel connected throughout Germany.
In case you are planning a multi-country trip, we recommend that you bring a European eSIM data card, with which you will be able to connect to the Internet in multiple destinations without having to do anything. One activation is enough.
Those who do not yet have an eSIM-compatible cell phone can take a SIM card for Germany with 10GB and 12GB to share their adventure without having to change their cell phone.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Germany:
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Germany
- 3 Rates and data plans of eSIM providers for travel in Germany
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers Germany
- 5 eSIM features for travel to Germany
- 6 eSIM coverage for travel to Germany
- 7 Local mobile operators offering eSIM in Germany
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM Germany
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM card Germany:
The first thing we recommend is to check the requirements of the eSIM, since its operation is completely virtual and there are still a certain number of mobile devices that are not compatible. Here is a list of these requirements for you to keep in mind:
- As we announced, the first thing to do is to check that your mobile is compatible with eSIM. In addition, also check with the operator or provider with which you are going to buy your eSIM card. We anticipate that the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the virtual SIM providers.
- The next step is to have an email address so that you can register and receive your eSIM.
- Another important aspect is that to activate your eSIM you must have an internet connection, as your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers, this can be done from Germany at a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Finally, it is important to note that some providers will ask you to install their App in order to download the eSIM.
In case your cellphone cannot run an eSIM, we recommend purchasing a traditional physical SIM card with 10GB or 12GB data for 30 days at $40.51 USD and $52.42 USD, respectively.
Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Germany
We list the providers to give you an idea of the companies that are available in the market. The important thing to keep in mind here is that these companies sell international eSIM cards intended to be used for tourism or business trips abroad.
- MTX Connect
Rates and data plans of eSIM providers for travel in Germany
Below is a list with information about the plans and prices of the providers mentioned above, so you can choose the best option according to your budget or travel plan. Just keep in mind that the variation in prices may be due to several reasons, from the plan that the company manages, previous roaming contracts, to the payment methods available:
Holafly plans and prices in Germany:
- 3GB for 7 days at $27 USD
- 5GB for 15 days at $34 USD
- 8GB for 20 days at $44 USD
- 10GB for 30 days at $49 USD
Flexiroam plans and prices in Germany:
- 3GB for 8 days at $25.20 USD
- 3GB for 24 days at $31.50 USD
- 7GB for 15 days at $55.30 USD
MTX Connect plans and prices in Germany:
- 10GB for 30 days at $71.20 USD
- 4GB for 14 days at $29.61 USD
- 2GB for 7 days at $17.14 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers Germany
|Holafly||3GB||7||27 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||5GB||15||34 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||8GB||20||44 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Holafly||10GB||30||49 USD||Spanish, English, French, and German||Web|
|Flexiroam||3GB||8||25.20 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Flexiroam||3GB||24||31.50 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Flexiroam||7GB||15||55.30 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|MTX Connect||2GB||7||17.14 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|MTX Connect||4GB||14||29.61 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|MTX Connect||10GB||30||71.20 USD||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
eSIM features for travel to Germany
Traveling in Germany is a great experience and the best thing is when you can share your experiences with your friends, family, and social media. This is very possible thanks to the use of an eSIM, and for you to get the most out of this technology we have prepared some important features to keep in mind when you are using your eSIM in Germany.
- For the most part, eSIM cards for travelers do not offer analog calls, only data. But if you plan to communicate by voice, you can use apps such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- Avoid making the mistake of deleting your eSIM when you have issues, as eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you experience problems, it is recommended that you contact your eSIM provider.
- With eSIM technology, you can add several data plans on your iPhone, depending on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time, the advantage is that you will not have to change your cell phone number every time you travel.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data, check with your provider for more information.
- On the other hand, although not in all cases, but some eSIMs configure the automatic APN, so keep this in mind.
- Finally, it will return to your dual SIM iPhone, you will be able to keep your local SIM when you travel to Germany. Remember to configure your iPhone to avoid surprise bills.
eSIM coverage for travel to Germany
When you are checking the best eSIM option for your trip to Germany, don’t forget to ask about the coverage it offers, beacuse depending on the plan and price, it may not provide enough coverage at your destination. The idea is that you keep in mind the following coverage maps of the main national operators:
O2 4G coverage map in Germany
Telekom 4G coverage map in Germany
Vodafone 4G coverage map in Germany
Local mobile operators offering eSIM in Germany
If you plan to live in Germany in the near future and have an eSIM card with data, let us tell you that the following operators allow the change and support eSIM cards for residents in Germany, you just have to take into account certain requirements that each operator will ask for.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM Germany
Thank you for reading us, we hope the information worked for you. However, we have prepared some common questions that users often have when purchasing an eSIM for travel to Germany. If you have more questions, please comment!
The local eSIM from O2 or Telekom are mainly intended for people living in Germany. The international eSIM for Germany from Holafly or Truphone is used to connect to the Internet during your trips to Germany.
It is not necessary to show a passport, some providers do require your address. This applies only for the tourist eSIM. Not for the eSIM offered by O2 or Telekom, who will ask for your information.
Yes, eSIM for Germany will allow you to share your data to other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile you must choose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on data and roaming and your virtual SIM should be working.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.
The days start counting from the moment you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Germany’s eSIM compatible mobiles are increasing every day. Remember that if you live in a European or Latin country and plan to travel to Germany, it is essential that you carry a cell phone compatible with both eSIM and its bands, because if you do not, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the phones on which you will be able to install and activate an eSIM Germany. Make sure first that the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
The eSIM is the evolution of traditional SIM cards. The eSIM works thanks to a chip inserted inside the cell phone, which allows to store and configure the profile. To learn more please read: what is eSIM and how it works.