One of the most colorful countries you can visit is Colombia but don’t forget your Internet connection! Find out which is the best option to post the coolest pictures of a country as beautiful as this one.
To travel like a digital nomad you will need the best Colombia SIM card that you will find both in Spain and upon arrival. We will tell you about its advantages, disadvantages, and curious facts about the country since “variety” is the word that most identifies Colombia.
Post your photos, travel connected, forget about roaming and stay in touch with your loved ones.
If you want to keep your line and if your cellphone is compatible, you can opt for an eSIM for Colombia, it arrives in seconds to your email.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 Which SIM card for Colombia offers me the most data at the best price?
- 2 Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Colombia?
- 3 Buy my Colombia SIM card before traveling
- 4 Buy my SIM card in Colombia
- 5 SIM card for Colombia, which one to buy?
- 6 Frequently asked questions about the SIM card for Colombia
Which SIM card for Colombia offers me the most data at the best price?
The price will depend not only on the amount of data, you know, but there are also additional services that you can receive and it’s important to consider them. As for the amount of data you can find options from 1GB and up and valid for 1 week, two, or more. Afterward, we will show you a price comparison. Also, the advantages and disadvantages of the different international SIM cards for Colombia.
For example, you will find Holafly’s SIM card for Colombia that in addition to good coverage offers 12GB of data! Pretty cool isn’t it!?
Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Colombia?
In your home country or upon arrival, you choose, although it may be better to bring it from home. Now because of the current pandemic, it’s best to avoid covid, so it would be preferable to buy it from home and avoid contagion.
Buy my Colombia SIM card before traveling
Buying the SIM card before traveling has its advantages, one of them is to be able to arrive and have Internet right after landing. This is a plus, because generally when you land you’re tired from the flights and then spending several hours looking for a connection is even more exhausting. I lived it from my own experience and it’s the jet lag that starts to take its toll in the first few hours.
Holafly Colombia prepaid SIM card
On Holafly’s website, you can find the prepaid SIM card for Colombia, it lasts for 30 days and you get 12GB of data. This SIM card is activated when you arrive at your destination, just insert the SIM card and follow some simple instructions.
- You have 24/7 technical support available to resolve any incident.
- You can connect to two of the main operators in the country Claro or Movistar.
- You have free, urgent and express shipping in case you have just enough time.
- Good coverage and 4G speed when surfing the Internet.
- Includes phone number to receive calls. Please note that to make a call, it can only be through apps.
- SIM card is multi-country, you can use it in South America.
- It does not allow sharing data with other devices.
Colombia SIM Card from Cellular Abroad
Another company that offers SIM cards for Colombia is Cellular Abroad, which has 4 different options. This card has the option to buy data with coverage up to 365 days a year.
- The data chip for Colombia or SIM card has 5B, 12GB or 24GB.
- You are charged a flat price for the International SIM card and data.
- You can extend the service at a later date.
- They have shipping available from 15.96USD to Spain which in the end is expensive.
|Card cost||Data cost (USD)||Shipping cost (USD)||Amount of data||Final price (USD)|
Buy my SIM card in Colombia
When you arrive in Colombia you can also buy your SIM card at El Dorado International Airport. There you will find stores where you will find SIM cards from different operators such as Movistar, Claro, Tigo, among others. In addition, there are more operators from which you can get a chip for your cell phone in Colombia. You can find SIM cards in supermarkets, cellphone and computer stores, operators’ stores, etc.
Claro is one of the main operators in Colombia and Latin America. You will find many stores from this operator to buy the SIM card when you arrive and don’t forget to bring your passport with you.
- Wide coverage throughout the country, in urban and rural areas except for some specific spots.
- 4G browsing speed and compatible with your Spanish cell phone.
- It has different data package options.
- You can top up the SIM card.
- Now due to pandemic issues the best thing to do is to avoid waiting in line for a SIM card, avoid contagion.
- For technical support you may be charged if you go to a store or you can wait to resolve an issue through the website chat.
Movistar in Colombia is one of the carriers with the largest presence in the country, after Claro. Coverage is good, although Claro is superior in this aspect, especially in rural areas.
- You can find different SIM card outlets.
- There is a variety of data packages.
- They are widely compatible with many cellphones.
- Has less coverage than Claro in some places.
- Prices tend to be higher.
The third-largest operator in the country and also has two SIM card options. Like Movistar, it has good coverage although it has slightly better coverage in rural areas.
- You can top up the sim card and have 4G speed available.
- They have two options of prepaid packages, for 7 and 15 days.
- You can buy SIM cards in different parts in any city.
- Avoid contact as much as possible due to the virus, in Colombia there are regions with outbreaks and hotspots due to the ravages of COVID-19.
SIM card for Colombia, which one to buy?
Here we have told you about 5 different companies but the only one we can recommend is the Colombia SIM Card from Holafly, and here’s why:
- You can connect to two carriers Claro or Movistar and these are the main ones in the country.
- It allows you to share data with other devices.
- You can manage your data to have Internet the days you are there and even if you are traveling with someone else.
- Receive it free at home, if you’re not in a rush you can receive it in 2 or 3 days. If you are short on time, you can choose express or urgent delivery.
- You don’t have to notify your arrival date or anything and it is very easy to activate.
- You have technical support wherever you are via chat or email, 24 hours a day every day and in addition they can assist you directly in Colombia.
Frequently asked questions about the SIM card for Colombia
To have Internet in Colombia is very easy although your choice will depend on the type of trip you make. You can opt for roaming, free wifi, pocket wifi, or our recommendation always, a Colombia data SIM card. Better price and more independence in your trip through this beautiful country.
It depends mainly on your operator and the type of contract you have with them. However, do not trust these terms, these costs are usually super high with the operators.
Choose a SIM card with good coverage, if you can connect to several operators much better. Keep in mind that there are places where one operator has better coverage than another and you can switch between them. Also, the option to share data and technical support is a big plus to take into account.
You can buy data-only SIM cards in Spain with Holafly and also upon arrival in Colombia. When you land at your destination, which will most likely be Bogota, you can get your sim at the airport, stores in the city, chain supermarkets, etc.
The price depends not only on the operator or operators with which you connect but also on the amount of data. On the other hand, there are additional services that will be included, such as calls and so on. In Spain, you can get data-only SIM cards for USD 39.