If you’re planning to travel abroad and want to activate international roaming, today we‘re going to tell you all about it. This way you can remain connected during your entire trip. Roaming is very important since it will let you connect to the internet, use your favorite apps, and keep in touch with your loved ones.
On the other hand, getting internet abroad is very important since it will be the perfect assistant for your travels. You can look for information about tourist hotspots, check maps and directions, look for accommodation. Additionally, you can update your social media posting pictures and videos about your adventures. With this in mind, activating roaming will let you make sure you won’t miss anything. You’ll be able to stay worry free and enjoy your trip to the fullest.
We are also going to figure out whether roaming is the greatest option or not. Let’s begin!
What is roaming and how does it work?
When we discuss roaming, we’re referring to connecting abroad with your local operator. Your cellphone can connect to networks in other countries and use the regular cellular services. The same services you use back home, like making or receiving calls, sending messages, and using mobile data.
When you activate data roaming you’re not connecting directly to your home operator. The way it works is that your domestic carrier has international contracts and agreements with other providers. This way, when customers travel, you’re allowed to connect abroad for an extra fee.
We do advise that you check with your cellular operator, the rates charged to use their services in another country. Generally, you’re charged by the minute, by the MB consumed and per text message under that standard 160 character length. Keep in mind that when it comes to text messages, spaces are also considered a character.
How to activate international roaming on Android?
If you have an Android device and want to activate roaming to use it abroad, you will have to follow the steps listed below:
- Check the compatibility of your device with international roaming: Before continuing, make sure that your device supports international roaming. Check this information in the manufacturer’s documentation or contact your mobile service provider’s customer service.
- Contact your mobile service provider to activate roaming: You have to request the activation of the roaming service on your account. They will provide you with additional information on the costs and fees associated with roaming abroad. Make sure you write down important details.
- Activate the roaming option and select the preferred network: Within the settings, look for the Mobile Networks or the Connections section. There you will find the option to activate roaming. Turn it on and make sure to select Automatic or Select Automatically. This lets your phone connect to the carrier network available in the country you are visiting.
Also, if you prefer to use an alternative to roaming service, we recommend you get a prepaid eSIM card with mobile data. This is definitely a great option to get internet anywhere you go, for a reasonable price. You’ll connect to a reliable and stable network with a high-speed internet service. The best part is that you won’t have to pay high rates and it’s a very easy process to follow. All you have to do is to make sure that your device is eSIM compatible, buy an eSIM, and activate it by scanning a QR code.
How to activate international roaming service on iPhone?
If you are an iPhone user and want to activate international roaming service, follow these steps:
- Check the compatibility of your device with international roaming: Before you continue, you have to make sure that your phone is compatible. This information is easily accessible on the manufacturer’s website or you can contact them directly to find out more. When it comes to iPhones, generally the most recent models are the compatible ones. Models XS and more recent support eSIMs.
- Contact your mobile service provider to activate roaming: You should be able to easily request calling or perhaps on their app. Remember you ask about coverage and associated fees, you want to be sure it’s convenient for you.
- Activate the roaming option and select the preferred network: on your iPhones settings there is an option labelled Cellular. From there, there’s another option labelled Cellular Data options. You select that one and you’ll see the Data Roaming option, just click the slide bar to activate it. You’ll notice that there are others set up options for different services. Choose the automatic options or standard for calls, text and data.
There are other options to connect to the internet, more accessible than international roaming, such as the prepaid eSIM card. You’ll be able to connect to the internet wherever you are by scanning a QR code, for a low price!
Tips to use international roaming abroad
When you are going on a trip, it is very important to be connected to the internet. You also have to monitor and be responsible for your budget. So, here we are going to give you some tips to use international roaming and control the money you spend on it.
- Monitor the data usage: Keep track of your data consumption so you don’t come home to a hefty bill. Turn off the automatic updates for your apps, and avoid watching streaming videos without a WiFi Connection.
- Use mobile apps to send messages: Use apps like WhatsApp or Skype to make calls, instead of making calls or sending text messages.
- Connect to WiFi networks: Use the free WiFi networks that you can find. This will let you avoid using a lot of wireless data and save some money.
- Consider buying an eSIM card: If you have an eSIM-compatible device, you can get a data eSIM card. This alternative will let you connect to the internet abroad, for a much more accessible price. Another perk is that the purchase flow is incredible simple, it won’t take more than a few minutes.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to use roaming and have a great and unforgettable trip. Control your data consumption, use Internet apps, and use safe free WiFi networks for a much more accessible experience.
To finish up, activating roaming on your device is one of the many options to get internet. To do so, check the compatibility of your device, enable the service with your operator, and follow the activation steps.
We also recommend you consider getting an eSIM card, with it, you will be able to switch data plans without having to change your physical SIM card. However, remember to make sure that your device is eSIM compatible before.
Finally, remember to monitor your data usage, use messaging apps, and internet calls, and use WiFi networks to reduce the costs, since the price depends on the amount of data you use.