We all dream about traveling around the world to meet new places. No one can deny it, some dream to go to Europe, others dream to go to Asia, and maybe others dream to meet their country. For example, one of the most popular places to visit in Europe is Iceland, but once you get there, you need to have an internet connection, right? You will surely like to read about the eSIM Iceland then.
In case you haven’t heard in the past what eSIM cards are, we have a brief introduction for you. These eSIMs are completely digital, and they are pretty simple to get, which is great for people who want to save time while buying a product like this. But, there’s more we need to talk about, such as the coverage, characteristics, and more!
- Unlimited mobile data for Iceland.
- Receive your QR code instantly!
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 Things you need to know about the eSIM Iceland
- 2 eSIM mobile operators to travel to Iceland
- 3 Rates and data plans offered by eSIM mobile operators for Iceland
- 4 Mobile operators comparative in Iceland
- 5 Characteristics of eSIMs to travel to Iceland
- 6 eSIM coverage to travel to Iceland
- 7 Local mobile operators with eSIMs in Iceland
- 8 eSIM Iceland FAQ
Things you need to know about the eSIM Iceland
The very first thing you need to know is quite important: not every smartphone can use an eSIM. WHY? Well, this is a somehow new technology, and due to it, not all the mobiles, especially the old ones, can work with one. But, this is only one thing you should know about eSIMs, here’s a list of other things you should consider:
- As mentioned before, your mobile device must be compatible with eSIMs, so you will surely need a last-gen smartphone.
- Some mobile operators require users to install their app to properly use the eSIM services.
- When activating an eSIM card, you must have internet access to complete all the processes. Thankfully, that won’t be an issue for people if they are in Iceland.
- People must have a valid physical address as well as a valid email to use the eSIM.
In case you think, or you are certain your mobile doesn’t work with eSIM cards, you can go for a traditional SIM card. For example, Holafly offers SIM cards for 39$ and 50$, with 10GB and 12GB of mobile data respectively, and can be used for up to 30 days.
eSIM mobile operators to travel to Iceland
If you are sure your smartphone is compatible with eSIMs, now you can take the next step, which is buying one. But, before you make a decision, you must know more about the companies that can offer you an eSIM. Keep in mind these companies only offer the service for people who are traveling to the country for business or tourism.
Rates and data plans offered by eSIM mobile operators for Iceland
So far, we have talked a bit about which mobile operators people can rely on when traveling to Iceland. But, we haven’t talked about rates and data plans offered by these companies, and that’s what we are about to do here.
Holafly rates and data plans in Iceland
- Unlimited data for 5 days at $19
- 20 days with unlimited data for $54
- Unlimited data for 30 days at $64
- Unlimited data for 60 days at $84
Truphone rates and data plans in Iceland
- 3GB for 30 days for $20
- 5GB for 30 days for $32
Airalo rates and data plans in Iceland
- 1GB for 7 days for $4.50
- 3GB for 30 days for $9
- 5GB for 30 days for $13
Ubigi rates and data plans in Iceland
- 3GB for 30 days for 25$.
- 10GB for 30 days for 59$.
Mobile operators comparative in Iceland
|Mobile Operator||Mobile Data||Days||Price||Support||Shopping channels|
|Holafly||Unlimited data||5 – 90||19 – 99 USD||English, Spanish, German and French||Web|
|Truphone||3GB – 5GB||30||20 – 32 USD||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Airalo||1GB – 3GB – 5GB||7- 30||4.50 – 9 – 13 USD||English||Web, Play Store|
|Ubigi||3GB – 10 GB||30||25 – 59 USD||English||Web|
Characteristics of eSIMs to travel to Iceland
Just like it happens with other similar services, eSIMs have their own characteristics people must know before using them. So, if you want to use an eSIM Iceland, you need to know everything about it. Here’s the list of things you should know before getting an eSIM:
- eSIMs will turn your mobile phone into a dual-SIM device even though you don’t have another SIM card on it. The eSIM will allow you to use both cards, your digital eSIM and the SIM card you have.
- eSIMs don’t offer people the chance to make phone calls or to send messages. People will only be able to send text messages, but using apps such as Skype, Telegram, or WhatsApp, this is no issue for people.
- Some eSIMs help users by configuring the APN automatically.
- eSIMs can be installed once. In case you have an issue with it, you better not erase it from your device because you might lose it, so go and talk with your provider instead.
- Some eSIMs allow users to have unlimited data, for example, the eSIM from Holafly.
- People can add more than one data plan to their iPhones when using an eSIM, but it will depend on the available storage of their phones.
eSIM coverage to travel to Iceland
For most people, traveling to Iceland is one of the dreams they might want to fulfill. In case you are curious about the why there are lots of reasons we can mention due to how beautiful this country is.
But there’s something that worries people, the coverage range of the different mobile operators in the country. To be more exact, we need to talk about the coverage of the eSIMs in Iceland, as it is actually not the same as a SIM card.
So, if you want to stay calm while traveling, you might want to know if you will have coverage in the place you are staying or visiting.
As for now, we can mention some important companies in Iceland offering this service:
Vodafone coverage map
Siminn coverage map
Nova coverage map
Local mobile operators with eSIMs in Iceland
In case you paid attention to some of the stuff we mentioned in the article, you probably should know what we are about to tell you here.
The service is offered to travelers, and there are some companies offering it to locals and travelers. Siminn, for example, offers the service since 2020, as well as Nova, but only for Smartwatches. Vodafone, sadly, doesn’t offer eSIMs in Iceland, but maybe we’ll see them in the future.
eSIM Iceland FAQ
Up to this point, you might have some questions in your head we weren’t able to answer. So, if you are planning to go to Iceland and take an eSIM card with you, we will clear up a few things so you can stay calm with the service.
You might already know which mobiles will work with the eSIM. But, keep in mind, if you are traveling from a different continent, you need to take a phone that not only supports eSIMs but also, be sure it is compatible with the mobile networks of the country.
Here’s the list: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
Once you finish the payment process, you will receive an email with the QR code of your SIM card, and save it on your phone. After that, you need to go to the settings on your mobile, change your SIM card to the eSIM service, turn on the data service, and it will be ready to go.
Your plan starts the moment you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your smartphone.
First of all, you need to have a valid physical and email address so you can properly purchase the eSIM card. You will also need to have a credit card, PayPal, or Google Pay account to pay for it.