Up to this point, one of the main technologies available for e-enthusiasts to use when it comes to smartphones is eSIMs. When it comes to understanding how this works, it is important to understand we are talking about a virtual digital SIM card. Just like with SIM cards, there are different features the eSIM includes. One of those is the SM-DP+ Address, and it’s important to know about this.
Once people turn on their device when using an eSIM, its internal information will be immediately downloaded. But if there’s an issue during this process, that’s where the SM-DP+ Address will become useful.
So, let’s get to know more about what this e-address is, how to set it up, and how it can help you to get your eSIM working when you need it!
What is the SM-DP+ Address?
The SM-DP+ Address stands out for Subscription Manager Data Preparation. This address creates a connection between the device and a cellular network which subscribers can choose when using an eSIM.
By knowing this, we can get into detail about the main purpose of the SM-DP+ Address. Basically, it will allow people to download an eSIM profile safely. Thanks to this address, there shouldn’t be any security breaches or information leak.
Therefore, once the mobile provider either creates or enables the eSIM, the SM-DP+ will start working. It will be “informed” that the subscription is available and that the eSIM profile can be created.
Where to find the SM-DP+ Address on mobiles?
Some people want to know where to find the SM-DP+ Address, so let’s see it. This is a feature that is available with all cellular carriers that create eSIM profiles, and we can’t forget the fact this system allows people to download data into the eUICC.
Once the request has been completed and the eSIM is done, the SM-DP+ will be created. And now it’s time to tell where to find it.
How to find the SM-DP+ Address?
Currently, people have two methods to find the SM-DP+ Address: These are the following:
- Contacting your cellular provider: One of the ways for people to get the SM-DP+ Address is by contacting the cellular operator. It should be provided by customer service if requested.
- eSIM QR Code: When scanning the QR code to activate an eSIM, the device will get the SM-DP+ information. Therefore, once the profile has been created, the address will become available.
How to set up the SM-DP+ Address on a mobile?
By default, the SM-DP+ is set up thanks to the eUICC. That’s why some people simply need to scan the QR code of the eSIM for it to work. But if you need to activate it manually, here’s what you must do.
How to set up the SM-DP+ Address on iPhone?
In case you are scanning a QR code to use on your iOS device, there’s no need to worry. Here’s how you can do it manually:
- Search the SM-DP+ Address and look for the activation code that’s on your smartphone instructions. In case there’s none, request it from your cellular operator.
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your device.
- Press on “Mobile Data” and then press on “Add Cellular Plan.”
Once this is done, an option with “Enter Details Manually” will appear. Enter the SM-DP+ Address and the activation code. This is what you have to do next:
- Restart the eSIM installation.
- Choose the data plan to use.
- Pick the generated line as your default line.
Also, people should note that the installation process might change from one iPhone to another. But it should be all the same for most iOS devices.
How to set up the SM-DP+ Address on Android?
When it comes to setting up the SM-DP Address, the process is just about the same. There’s no need to worry because, as seen before, the activation process is actually quite easy to complete.
Therefore, if the QR code activation fails, that means that it needs to be done manually. The process doesn’t take many steps, and here’s what you need to do to find the address on your device:
- Try finding both the SM-DP+ Address and the activation code on your device. If this info is not available, try contacting your cellular operator. They should be able to provide this information.
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your device.
- Press on “Network & Internet” or “Connections” according to the device you have.
- Press on “SIM Card Manager” to continue.
- Now, press the “+” or “Add eSIM” button.
- Select the “Enter Activation Code” button.
- A message “Don’t you have a SIM Card?” will show up.
- Choose the “Enter Manually” button.
- Enter the activation code and then press “Next” to add the SM-DP+ Address.
Some of the above-mentioned steps might change. This will all depend on the device people are using.
As seen here, finding the SM-DP+ Address is not complicated. The process can be considered manual, which is something great to know. One thing people should keep in mind is that when buying an eSIM, use the correct QR code to activate it.
When activating or setting the eSIM, it is recommended to do it manually. That way, fewer failures could be present during the process.
Not at all. This address can be automatically activated when using the device for the very first time. It is only needed when the device doesn’t generate the address properly.
The eSIM profile is a virtual profile where the information is stored. There, people can find the network and data settings information when needed. Also, with the eSIM profile, users can connect to a cellular network.
The eUICC it’s a piece of hardware that can be found on the smartphone. It acts as a safe space where the eSIM profile is stored.