If your bags are ready to travel to the United States, but you still don’t know how to stay connected to the Internet to communicate with your family and friends in the most visited country in the world.
We tell you that the best alternative is to buy a SIM card United States, so you will forget about returning home and having to pay an expensive roaming bill from your operator.
Find out where to buy the best SIM card for your trip to the United States, whether you believe it before traveling or upon arrival. So, get ready to know that and much more in this article.
Remember that if your cell phone is compatible with eSIM cards, in our entry eSIM for USA: which one to choose, you will find detailed information about the new digital card for connection.
Why buy a SIM card for the United States?
Because we are sure that roaming with your operator is not an option for your trip when you return home you will be surprised by the bill.
In addition, we tell you that only Vodafone customers are free from expensive roaming in the USA. For example, with Movistar and Orange, you will pay 12 € for each MB of data downloaded while roaming.
Which prepaid SIM card for the USA offers me the most data at the best price?
With the excellent coverage offered by the AT&T operator, Holafly’s US SIM card offers you a 4G speed connection during your trip, with unlimited data and unlimited free local calls. Up to 8 types of cards are available, differentiated by the number of days of coverage, but all offer UNLIMITED data.
For a little more than 3 € per day, you will have access to unlimited quality Internet and all the benefits that this company offers you: 24-hour support, free shipping, unlimited calls to local numbers, and much more.
We will show you two alternative options so you can compare them for yourself. In this table, you will be able to reach the rates, knowing how profitable it can be for you to contract with Holafly. Calculated for a 15-day stay and an average daily mobile data consumption of 500MB, note that for Holafly, there is no “Price GB” as this USA SIM card offers you unlimited data.
Where to buy the best data SIM card for the United States
You can buy a data SIM card for the United States from the comfort of your home, before traveling, or at a store in a shopping mall when you arrive at your destination, a data SIM card for tourists is not difficult to find. But it is important to know the best options to travel connected to the Internet in the USA.
Buy your USA SIM card in online store (recommended)
Our recommendation is that you always buy your SIM card to travel to the USA while you are still in your country, as well as other additional services (cards to access tourist sites, transportation, hotel reservations, etc.), so you will enjoy your trip without complications. You will avoid unnecessary queues at the airport and contagions by the new coronavirus. Remember that your health comes first.
United States SIM card from Holafly
This company offers you a United States SIM with UNLIMITED data with 4G speed and the support of one of the most important operators in the country, AT&T. It comes in 8 presentations per day:
|Days||Data||Price||Price / Day|
|5||Unlimited||29€||5,8€ / day|
|7||Unlimited||34€||4,8€ / day|
|10||Unlimited||39€||3,9€ / day|
|15||Unlimited||49€||3,2€ / day|
|20||Unlimited||59€||2,9€ / day|
|30||Unlimited||87€||2,9€ / day|
|60||Unlimited||169€||2,8€ / day|
|90||Unlimited||239€||2,7€ / day|
- Unlimited data without restrictions.
- You will be able to keep your WhatsApp number.
- Your USA sims are easy to set up, activate (install), and use.
- You will be able to make unlimited local calls and send SMS messages.
- With AT&T coverage, one of the best carriers in the country.
- Unlike other Holafly products, you will not be able to share data, but they give you the option to buy a North American SIM card (up to 7 GB).
Learn more about this SIM in our entry How to have Internet in North America. You may also be interested in the differences between a US and a North American SIM.
How much data do I need to travel to the United States?
The data you need to travel will depend on the use you make of it. An example would be:
- Browsing five different websites – 2 MB
- 1 hour driving with Google Maps – 5 MB
- Sending or receiving 40 emails (without attachments) – 2 MB
- Using Facebook for 10 minutes – 3 MB
This question will not be a problem if you buy a Holafly SIM card, as they provide you with unlimited Internet on any of their 8 US SIM card options.
Roam Mobility USA SIM Card
This USA SIM card works with any unlocked device, whether it’s a mobile or tablet. You will be able to make calls to the United States and Canada.
- You can buy at a promotional price two cards. Both cards are priced at 12.89 €.
- You can choose up to three types of daily plans: Calls, SMS messages and data, calls and SMS messages, or SMS messages.
- You can reuse this US prepaid SIM card for the next trip after recharging, keeping the same US SIM card and number for your next trip.
- This company will assign you a US number, which can be tedious if you want to communicate with your friends or vice versa.
- If you send your address incorrectly, the company will not be responsible for a lost US SIM card.
- This SIM card can take up to 20 days to reach you.
Telaway SIM card the USA
Telaway is a provider focused on prepaid SIM cards for the USA with shipping in Europe. It has plans for 10, 30, or 90 days, with unlimited data and local calls and unlimited calls. Its price starts at 61.83€ and goes up to 173.17€ for its 90-day card. As you can see, a higher cost than that proposed by Holafly.
- Free shipping for Europe
- They can send you the USA SIM card to an address or hotel in the United States.
- Option to add a phone number to handle call forwarding at no cost.
- Only has three variants of days of duration of your data plan, so if you travel, for example, 15 days, you will pay as if your trip to the USA was 30 days, that is, a cost of 93.64 euros.
- They do not send you an adaptable SIM card format. You will have to choose between standard, micro SIM card, and nanoSIM.
How much does a SIM card for the United States cost?
Now that you know in detail three companies, we show you a comparison table of Holafly with other operators so that you can make a decision as to the best option for a prepaid SIM card USA.
|Card cost||Cost data||Amount of data||final cost.|
|Holafly||–||49 €||unlimited||49 €|
|Roam Mobility||9,23 €||74,25 €||7.68 GB||83,48 €|
An inexpensive option without offering excessive per day coverage and data (GB) rates is Holafly, so buy the SIM card for the United States and forget about looking any further.
Buy my SIM card in the United States.
You can find a SIM card in stores such as Wallmart, BestBuy, or Target when you arrive. Also in stores of the mobile operators themselves in supermarkets, shopping malls; as well as stands at airports, among others.
This purchase option is not convenient in times of coronavirus since many stores have reduced capacity, and you will have to wait in long lines. If you do, buy a US SIM card that charges a single rate, such as the one offered by Holafly.
Now we will show you the rates of the main US mobile operators: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Others, such as Sprint, US Cellular, have some relevance, but we will focus on the first three.
T-Mobile sells prepaid SIM cards in the USA that can cost you 21.51 €. These cards only have a credit of 2.58 € for you to use data, but you can increase the credit at authorized stores (Bestbuy) and supermarkets (Walmart, Target) from 8.60 € up to 172.09 €.
Most of these SIM cards only operate for 90 days (three months) after you increase the credit.
- The cards are sold in the main supermarkets and stores in the country.
- It has a variety of tariffs, ranging by days and amount of data (about 15 plans).
- You do not have Internet as soon as you arrive in the country, you must go to a store.
- You have to make a double payment, first for the card and then to recharge it.
- Like other options, you cannot set data duration days. The company sets them for you.
- Their prices can go up to 86.05 €, and there are few tariffs that offer unlimited data.
Being one of the largest carriers in the country, Verizon offers you coverage in the different generations (2G, 3G, and 4G). Like the previous option (T-Mobile), you have to buy the card and then recharge it in authorized stores (Walmart, Bestbuy) and authorized resellers.
A card can cost you around 43.02 € and gives you only 2 GB of data, plus unlimited calls and SMS.
- Its cards have one of the best coverage and speed in the country.
- It has up to 12 plans.
- It offers plans for you to have Internet on your tablet or modem.
- They will not work if your cell phone is not compatible with the operator’s service.
- Its rate is one of the highest.
- You will need to spend approximately 68.84 € to have unlimited Internet.
This operator does not seek to charge you double when you buy their SIM cards in the United States. With the prepaid card “GoPhone” you only have to make one payment, they give you the card for free and only recharge it will cost you from 12.91 € to 86.05 € to get Internet, the validity of the card, in the case of recharging it, is from 90 (3 months) to 365 days (1 year).
Like the previous alternatives (Verizon, T-Mobile), you can recharge the cards in Supermarkets (Walmart, Bestbuy) or the same operator’s stores.
- AT&T has two types of SIM cards: one with data, calls, and SMS, and another one only with data (data-only SIM), ideal for tablets and modems.
- Some plans can last up to one year.
- Of the seven plans available, four are unlimited.
- Unlimited plans are not “data-only.”
- If you want unlimited data, you will have to pay for a service that offers calls and SMS.
Best SIM card for the USA, which one to buy?
We will definitely choose the United States data SIM card from the Holafly company. It offers unlimited data at 4G speed, for a rate that costs an average of 3 € per day.
With the AT&T operator’s coverage, you will be able to surf without any problem and with quality. In addition, you will have access to other benefits, such as keeping your WhatsApp number, making unlimited and free local calls in the United States, free shipping to your home, and 24-hour customer service.
If you need to share Internet with your travel companions or make free calls to landlines, you can purchase its North American data SIM card, which works under the coverage of the T-Mobile operator.
My mobile will work on U.S. networks
Before buying a prepaid SIM card for the USA, remember whether or not your mobile will work on US networks. In most cases it probably will, but if you have a device that is not so modern, you can make sure you know if it will work on the Kimovil website.
You only have to enter the brand and series of your cell phone, and you will verify if it operates in the United States, with which frequency bands according to the coverage and sub-brand of your product.
What bands do mobile operators operate on in the United States?
The compatibility will also depend on the operator that offers you the service. That’s why we prepared a table with the 3G and 4G bands and frequencies with your operator.
|Operator||3G Frequency||4G -LTE frequency|
|B17- 700 MHz|
B2- 1900 MHz
|T-Movile||1900 MHz||B12-700 MHz|
Frequently Asked Questions about Internet and SIM card for the USA.
You can have Internet in different ways; buying a prepaid SIM card before traveling, using your operator’s roaming, or taking advantage of the free Wifi in restaurants, stores, and hotels.
The cost of roaming varies according to the contract you have with your carrier, whether your plan is prepaid or postpaid. You will be charged per megabytes downloaded, and let me tell you that it is not cheap at all.
To choose a US SIM card, you need to check the following: if it includes phone number, unlimited data, local calls, and SMS, the coverage of the operator in the USA, and if it fits your days of stay. In addition, you should verify that the final cost includes the shipping cost.
The easiest way in times of coronavirus is to do it in online stores like Holafly, for example. If you don’t have time, you can do it on landing, at the airport, in supermarkets and carrier stores.
Prices vary according to the data plan, the days of validity, and if it provides you with a phone number to use in the USA. As we saw, the cheapest is the Holafly SIM card. It offers 8 different plans with unlimited Internet for different days of travel.