Egypt is a country of the African continent, leaving us part of its wonderful legacy of its ancient empire as the pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx.
Have you thought about a SIM card to have internet in Egypt, we are sure you need to have a good internet connection to share photos and videos to your social networks, make video calls or stay connected via WhatsApp with your friends.
We will help you find the best SIM card for Egypt in a comparison with advantages, disadvantages, prices and amount of data. It’s time to save without paying the costly roaming bill.
Why buy a SIM card for Egypt?
We know that every traveler needs to be connected to the Internet at all times, to look for restaurants, book hotels and cabs through apps, watch videos or listen to streaming music while touring Egypt, for example. That’s why you need to buy a SIM card and forget about the high price of roaming in Egypt.
Which prepaid SIM card for Egypt offers me the most data at the best price?
You should look for a sim card with the highest amount of data for the price provided. We anticipate that Holafly’s Egypt SIM card is one of the preferred by many travelers. It offers a SIM card with 6GB of mobile data, for stays of 15 days and with an excellent 4G connection thanks to the Orange network, the main operator in the country. It also allows you to share Internet with your travel companions.
In the following chart you can see the result of our comparative analysis of the SIM cards offered by Holafly, SIM Corner and One SIM Card to have Internet on your trip to Egypt.
Where to buy the best data SIM card for Egypt?
It is not difficult to buy a SIM card for Egypt, you can get it in online stores (such as Holafly) or in person when you land in shopping malls, stands inside the airport or operator stores. Keep in mind that in times of coronavirus the first option is the most recommended, this way you will avoid long waits in stores and contagions during your trip.
As we saw before, the best SIM card for Egypt is the one from Holafly, but we will still show you in more detail the ones from the providers SIM Corner and OneSIM Card.
Buy my Egypt SIM card from an online store (recommended)
The safest option to avoid wasting time at your destination looking for a sim card is to buy it before you travel. Simply order it online, have it delivered to your home and pack it in your suitcase to Egypt. We show you some options of providers below:
Holafly Egypt SIM Card
It has a data SIM card with a duration of 15 days and 6 GB in 3G and 4G speed with Orange coverage. In addition you can share Internet with other devices as if it were a pocket wifi and you have 24-hour support, free shipping to your home and more.
- Totally free shipping, you will only assume a cost if you want a special shipping service.
- You will be able to share your data to other devices, just like pocket wifi.
- You will be able to make and receive calls to the number of your Egypt data Sim card.
- Holafly will assist you and answer your questions through different ways of communication: chat or email, with 24 hour service.
- If you want a SIM card for a trip of more than 15 days, you will have to consider purchasing two units.
Corner SIM card for Egypt
SIM Corner offers you a SIM card for 15 days and 6 GB of data, but charges you a shipping fee. Please note that only in some cases you will not be charged for the shipping fee.
- It offers 24-hour support.
- Thanks to its platform, you can also pay via platforms such as Google’s G pay.
- It charges shipping, in some cases.
- It does not have other types of SIM cards in terms of less or more than 15 days stay in this country or more GB to enjoy.
One SIM Card for travel to Egypt
This company charges you for everything: the physical SIM card, the data package and the shipping. One benefit is that you will be able to receive text messages totally free in Egypt. This option would be the most expensive of the three presented.
- It has a wide variety of data plans.
- You can buy credit only for calls and SMS in Egypt.
- You will have to pay a fee for the SIM card and for shipping.
- The cost for mobile data is one of the most expensive of the options analyzed.
How much does a data SIM cost to have Internet in Egypt?
Already showing you some features, advantages and disadvantages of each option, here are the final prices of each alternative. Please note that the promotional prices are not necessarily the final ones, you must go to the end of the payment gateway to find out how much you will be charged for your SIM card.
|Card cost||Cost data||Shipping cost||Total cost|
|Holafly||—||47 €||—||47 €|
|SIM Corner||—||41,45 €||7,37 €||48,82 €|
|One SIM Card||27,59 €||82,91 €||2,75 €||113,25 €|
You already know that Holafly charges you what it shows you, without a doubt an excellent option and the lowest price in the market.
Buy my SIM card in Egypt
In the event that you are unable to purchase your data SIM before arriving in Egypt, you can purchase it at the airport, in specialized stores, tourist areas and in local stores of the mobile operators themselves.
Keep in mind that with this decision you will have to wait in lines, follow biosecurity protocols due to the coronavirus and defend yourself very well with the English language.
The main mobile operators in Egypt are Vodafone Egypt, Orange, formerly Mobinil, Etisalat and WE, formerly Telecom Egypt. Here are the first three:
Vodafone Egypt Local SIM
Vodafones, partly owned by Egyptian operator Telecom, is one of the country’s leading mobile operators and has a prepaid SIM card for Egypt exclusively for tourists, for a duration of 30 days and 4G coverage.
- Your data SIM card features data, local and international calls.
- A variety of data packages are available.
- Their website and customer support is in English only.
- You will have to send an SMS message to activate your data package.
Orange Egypt cards for tourists
Orange is the main mobile operator in Egypt, and the one Holafly uses, and their connection is excellent, since 2017 they offer 4G coverage in most of the country. Their data packages have different prices and quantity, from 25 MB upwards.
- It has a data package only for social networks called “GO”.
- It also has cards only for tourists.
- Its data packages only have a coverage of either 1 full day or 30 days.
Etisalat SIM in Egypt
Etisalat is one of the smallest operators in the country, but has SIM cards for Egypt with data, calls and SMS.
- It has data packages only for social networks that cover 1 GB.
- Its tourist SIM card, called Hi Traveler!, can last up to 3 months.
- As in the previous options, you will only be able to activate these packages by sending an SMS (like *566+15# for the social networks package).
- Its coverage is small, its network only reaches 22% of the country.
SIM card for Egypt: Which one to choose?
Undoubtedly, the best data SIM card for Egypt is the one from Holafly, which for a price of 47 euros offers you 6 GB of mobile data in 4G speed (in some areas in 3G) for a stay of up to 15 days, with the coverage of the operator Orange, and the possibility of sharing data with other devices.
In addition, you will have access to the following benefits:
- Easy to use, just place the card, activate “roaming or data roaming“.
- Keep your number on WhatsApp, to stay connected with your friends and family.
- Free shipping to your home.
- Share Internet with other devices.
- Help 24 hours a day.
Forget about roaming in Egypt, now you know how to have Internet in Egypt. With Holafly’s SIM card: land, insert and surf!
Frequently asked questions about Internet and SIM card for Egypt
Without a doubt, a convenient option is to buy a SIM card for Egypt, since if you use roaming on your return you will pay an expensive bill.
The roaming rates are not cheap at all and even less free. Their costs range from 6 to 12 euros per MB consumed. If you want more information visit our article Roaming in Egypt.
You should look for the one that best suits the days you will be traveling and when data is provided. Also verify that the final price includes shipping costs and other expenses, so we will avoid surprises at the time of payment.
The easiest way is to do it with online suppliers (such as Holafly), or when you arrive at your destination at the airport and in operators’ stores.
The costs of a SIM card vary according to the days of validity of the data plan, whether it includes shipping costs and whether you are provided with a phone number in Egypt. For example, for an approximate price of 47€ you can receive at your home a SIM card with 6GB for 15 days of travel.