Hong Kong is a modern city with the most amazing skyscrapers. Located in the southeast of China, it is one of the most populated cities in the world.
You need to be always connected to the Internet and to avoid paying expensive roaming fees we will help you find the best Hong Kong SIM card.
We also recommend using a SIM card with built-in VPN for the most used applications such as WhatsApp or Facebook. Find out more in the following paragraphs. Go for it!
If your mobile is compatible, another option is to purchase a virtual card or eSIM for China. Very convenient now in times of Coronavirus, you simply receive it by email and scan it into your mobile.
- 1 Which Hong Kong SIM card offers me the most data at the best price?
- 2 Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Hong Kong
- 3 SIM card for Hong Kong, which one to buy?
- 4 Frequently asked questions about Internet and SIM card for Hong Kong
Which Hong Kong SIM card offers me the most data at the best price?
To choose the SIM card that best suits you, that is, the one that offers the most data, low prices, has VPN included, is easy to use and can share data with other mobiles.
A good offer in the market is the Holafly Sim card, which in addition to having all of the above, they offer free shipping and 24/7 help in case you have any questions.
Where to buy the best prepaid SIM card for Hong Kong
You can buy your SIM card before traveling to Hong Kong in online stores like Holafly, for example. You can also do it upon landing, at the airport or stores like 1010.
However, you should know that travelers are not allowed to have a local phone by law, so your best option is to bring your sim card from your country.
Buy my Hong Kong SIM card before traveling
The most advisable, safe and comfortable way to buy the Hong Kong SIM card is to do it before traveling, before your trip. This way you will not have problems when you arrive in the Chinese city, avoiding to go shopping in times of coronavirus.
Holafly Hong Kong prepaid SIM card
Holafly offers 3 Hong Kong data SIM cards of 8 or 15 days with 5GB, and 30 days with 6GB at 4G speed. They use the China Unicom network, one of the best mobile operators in China.
|Days||Data amount||Price (USD)||Price (USD)/Day|
|8||5 GB||31||3,8 / day|
|15||5 GB||33||2,2 / day|
|30||6 GB||42||1,4 / day|
Advantages of Holafly
- When you buy a Hong Kong SIM card it comes with built-in VPN so you can use apps like WhatsApp or Facebook.
- Keep your WhatsApp in English.
- Share data with other mobiles as if you were a Pocket Wifi.
- Save time, avoiding queues to shop.
- Connects to the China Unicom network, the best carrier in China.
- Holafly assists you and answers your questions from different communication channels: chat and email, with 24 hour service.
- Very easy to use, you insert the SIM card upon landing, activate the mobile data and you are connected.
Disadvantages of Holafly
- Chinese law does not allow you to have a local phone number, so you must use Apps to make calls.
How much does a SIM card for Hong Kong cost?
Now that we know a little more about the features, advantages and disadvantages offered by Holafly we can see that this is an economical and above all safe option.
We are offered three different options to suit our trip in Hong Kong:
- 8 days with 5GB of data amount at 31 USD.
- 15 days with 5GB data amount at 33 USD.
- 30 days with 6GB data amount at 42 USD.
By purchasing a SIM card before you travel you have the advantage of saving time on your trip to Hong Kong, so you don’t have to search in local stores. Just arrive at your destination, turn on roaming and data and start surfing.
Buy my SIM card in Hong Kong
You can buy the SIM card at airports or in stores such as 1010, 7-eleven, however this option is not as convenient during the coronavirus season, as you will be entering stores and crowded places.
You should bear in mind that many companies offer SIM cards with calls and messages only, some even charge for incoming calls. In addition, you should verify that they have the VPN to be able to use your social networks such as Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter, so that you can stay connected with family and friends.
China Mobile is China’s largest operator, with more than 900 million mobile subscribers. This makes it the largest mobile operator in the world.
- As the largest operator, it has more stores and recharge points throughout the country, which makes it easier to sign up for the service.
- They only offer one SIM for tourists, with 3GB at 3g/4g speed for $51, with roaming service outside Hong Kong and you can top up.
- Their rates are higher compared to their competitors.
- They usually have compatibility problems with foreign phones, due to the use of FDD mode.
- They do not include VPN.
China Unicom is the second largest cellular operator in China, with more than 90 million users and recognized as one of the largest network operators in the world.
- It has very good compatibility with foreign phones.
- It offers the best deals on data plans: 1GB for $25, 2GB for $35, 3GB for $45, 6GB for $80.
- Does not include VPN so you will not be able to access government restricted websites or APPs.
- No technical support in English.
- They do not sell the SIM card without your passport.
China Telecom is the smallest operator in China and one of the most used in Hong Kong.
- Works well if you travel to the south of the country.
- Good data speed although with lower coverage.
- Has plans for 30 days of travel.
- All China Telecom SIM cards must be purchased at official stores.
- They do not include VPN and you will not be able to make normal use of your apps.
- No technical support in English, which is frustrating if you are not fluent in other languages.
SIM card for Hong Kong, which one to buy?
So, if we take a closer look, we come to the conclusion that the best option is to buy a Hong Kong SIM card from Holafly, since it comes with the VPN and we will be able to keep updated with our social networks while traveling around the city of Hong Kong.
In addition, it gives us different benefits such as keeping the WhatsApp number in the App, it is very easy to use and we can share data with other devices. They don’t charge shipping and we also don’t have to stand in long lines to pick one up or buy one when we arrive at the Hong Kong airport. fantastic!
You can also purchase the Asia Multi-Country SIM data card, which includes 14 countries, Hong Kong being one of them.
Land, insert and start surfing the Internet with your Hong Kong SIM card!
Frequently asked questions about Internet and SIM card for Hong Kong
To get Internet in Hong Kong you can do it through a SIM card, using roaming, portable wifi or free wifi. In any case, save time and take your Hong Kong SIM card with you before traveling like the one from Holafly, for example.
The cost of roaming in Hong Kong can vary according to the operator you use, normally the cost is between 6 to 15 euros per MB used. If you wish to have more information you can visit our entry Roaming Hong Kong.
To choose a SIM card to travel to Hong Kong you should know if it has data that suits your needs, if it allows you to share data with other devices, carrier coverage, fits your days of stay, etc.
To buy a SIM card before traveling, look for suppliers on the Internet such as Holafly, you will have online advice and you will be able to choose the one that best suits you.
As we saw before, the price of a Sim Card for Hong Kong varies according to the number of days of stay in the country and the amount of data it offers. For example, Holafly offers three SIM card options: 8 or 15 days with 5GB, and 30 days with 6GB at 4G speed. Easy to use, free shipping and many other benefits.