Want to share your experience in Chiang Mai, Phi Phi Islands, Koh LiPe, or Khao Sok National Park? With a Thailand eSIM card, you can show everyone the blast you’re having with an instant internet connection.
If you don’t know what an eSIM is, how it works it where to get it, no worries because you’ve come to the right place! Let us introduce you to the future and tell you everything you need to know about the eSIM in Thailand, its features, requirements, and costs. We’ll also explain how an eSIM helps you save money, as you’ll avoid paying expensive data roaming charges.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Thailand:
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Thailand
- 3 Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for traveling to Thailand
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Thailand
- 5 Features of eSIMs for travel to Thailand
- 6 eSIM coverage when traveling in Thailand
- 7 Local mobile providers offering eSIM in Thailand
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Thailand
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM card Thailand:
Compatibility is important so before buying a Thailand eSIM card, remember to check if your cell phone is compatible. As this is a new technology, you can’t use the eSIM on any cellphone. Here’s what you need to know:
- Your cell phone must be compatible with eSIM. Also check that your cell phone is supported by the carrier or eSIM card provider. The iPhone XR and later models are compatible with most providers.
- It is essential to have an email address so you can receive your eSIM.
- You must have internet connection when you activate your eSIM becuase your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the provider after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers may ask you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Thailand
As long as you have a compatible phone, you will be able to purchase and activate a Thailand eSIM card easily. If you don’t, you can also buy a traditional sim card, in this case, a Thailand SIM card with either 3GB or 4GB of data for up to 12 days. See below for a list of the names of companies that sell international eSIM cards.
- Au by KDDI
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for traveling to Thailand
Pay close attention to the prices of each provider so you can choose the one that best suits you.
Holafly plans and prices in Thailand:
- 3GB for 8 days at $19 USD
- 6GB for 15 days at $34 USD
Gigsky rates and prices in Thailand:
- 1GB for 15 days for $11.99 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $49.99 USD
Au by KDDI plans and rates for Thailand:
- 5GB for 30 days at $53 USD
- 8GB for 30 days at $81 USD
SIM2Fly plans and tariffs in Vietnam:
- 6GB for 8 days at $19 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Thailand
|Provider||Data||Days||Price||Tech support language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||3GB||8||$19||Spanish, English, German and French||Web|
|Holafly||6GB||15||$34||Spanish, English, German and French||Web|
|Gigsky||1GB||15||$11.99||English||App Store, Google Play|
|Gigsky||5GB||30||$49.99||English||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||$53||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||$81||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
Features of eSIMs for travel to Thailand
International eSIMs are different from physical SIM Cards. Here’s what you need to know about eSIM cards for Thailand:
- Most eSIM cards do not offer cellphone calls, only data is availble. To call friends or family you can use apps such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so dont remove the eSIM from your phone if you’re having issues, instead contact eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs set up automatic APNs.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone but it is only possible to use one at a time and this also depends on the available storage on the phone.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data between devices.
- Another benefir of an eSIM is that with your dual SIM iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Thailand, but remember to setup your iPhone to avoid surprise bills afterwards.
eSIM coverage when traveling in Thailand
It is very important to keep in mind your eSIM coverage. Keep in mind that sometimes cheap eSIM cards may have poor coverage. Also, you may find a cheap eSIM card, but it may not give you good coverage in Thailand, since the eSIM cards that will offer you the best network coverage on your trip to Thailand are those that have the most roaming agreements with the main operators such as AIS, DTAC, TOT or TrueMove H. Here are coverage maps for the main operators.
3G AIS coverage map in Thailand
DTAC’s 3G network coverage in Thailand
TrueMove H 3G coverage map in Thailand
Local mobile providers offering eSIM in Thailand
Here’s a list of local cellphone providers. Remember that this list of operators is intended for permanent residents and not for travelers, although day by day the possibilities are expanding and tend to be more flexible.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Thailand
Here are the most common questions we’re asked about purchasing eSIM to travel to Thailand.
It is not necessary to show your passport, but some suppliers do require your address.
Yes, the eSIM for Thailand will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend that you confirm with the provider’s customer service.
Install the eSIM with a QR code from your email, chose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on cellular data and data roaming, and your virtual SIM will work. Contact the company for more advice.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.