Do you want to travel to Thailand? Great! Thailand offers spectacular sites like Chiang Mai, Phi Phi Islands, Koh LiPe or Khao Sok National Park. And with a Thailand eSIM card, you can enjoy these places with instant internet connection.
Don’t worry if you don’t know what an eSIM is or how it works. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about the eSIM in Thailand, its features, requirements and costs. We’ll also explain how an eSIM helps you save money, as you’ll avoid paying expensive data roaming charges.
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Thailand:
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Thailand
- 3 Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for traveling to Thailand
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Thailand
- 5 Features of eSIMs for travel to Thailand
- 6 eSIM coverage for travel to Thailand
- 7 Local mobile providers offering eSIM in Thailand
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Thailand
What you should know about the eSIM card Thailand:
Before buying a Thailand eSIM card, remember to check that your cell phone is compatible. As this is a new technology, you can’t use the eSIM on all cell phones. Here’s what you need to know:
- Your cell phone must be compatible with eSIM. Also check that your cell phone is supported by the carrier or eSIM card provider. The iPhone XR and later models are compatible with most providers.
- It is essential to have an email address so you can receive your eSIM.
- You must have internet connection to activate your eSIM. Your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the provider after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
Buy your eSIM Thailand here
Mobile eSIM card providers for traveling to Thailand
If you have a compatible phone, you will be able to purchase and activate a Thailand eSIM card. If you don’t, you can also buy a Thailand SIM cards with either 3GB or 4GB of data for up to 12 days. Take a look at the list below with companies that sell international eSIM cards.
- Au by KDDI
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for traveling to Thailand
Pay close attention to the prices of each provider so you can choose the one that suits you best.
Holafly plans and prices in Thailand:
- 3GB for 8 days at $23 (USD)
- 3GB for 15 days at $29.21
- 5GB for 30 days at $41.39
Gigsky rates and prices in Thailand:
- 1GB for 15 days for $11.99
- 5GB for 30 days at $49.99
Au by KDDI plans and rates for Thailand:
- 5GB for 30 days at $53
- 8GB for 30 days at $81
SIM2Fly plans and tariffs in Vietnam:
- 6GB for 8 days at $19
Comparison of eSIM providers for Thailand
|Provider||Data||Days||Price||Tech support language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||3GB||8||$23||Spanish and English||Web|
|Holafly||3GB||15||$29.21||Spanish and English||Web|
|Holafly||5GB||30||$41.39||Spanish and English||Web|
|Gigsky||1GB||15||$11.99||English||App Store, Google Play|
|Gigsky||5GB||30||$49.99||English||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||5GB||30||$53||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
|Au by KDDI||8GB||30||$81||English, Portuguese||App Store, Google Play|
Features of eSIMs for travel to Thailand
eSIMs are different from physical eSIMs. Here’s what you need to know about eSIM cards for Europe:
- Most eSIM cards do not offer mobile calls, only data. For voice communication you can use Apps such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you are experiencing problems with your eSIM card do not remove it from your mobile and instead contact your eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs set up automatic APNs.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, this depends on the memory available, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data between devices.
- With your dual SIMiPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Europe. Remember to configure your iPhone to avoid surprise bills.
eSIM coverage for travel to Thailand
It is very important to consider the coverage of your eSIM. Bear in mind that sometimes cheap eSIM cards have poor coverage. Also, you may find a cheap eSIM card, but it may not give you good coverage in Thailand, since the eSIM cards that will offer you the best network coverage on your trip to Thailand are those that have the most roaming agreements with the main operators such as AIS, DTAC, TOT or TrueMove H. Here are coverage maps for the main operators.
3G AIS coverage map in Thailand
DTAC’s 3G network coverage in Thailand
TrueMove H 3G coverage map in Thailand
Local mobile providers offering eSIM in Thailand
Here’s a list of local mobile providers. Remember that this list of operators is intended for permanent residents and not for travelers, although day by day the possibilities are expanding and tend to be more flexible.
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Thailand
Here are the most common questions we’re asked about purchasing eSIM to travel to Thailand.
It is not necessary to present a passport, but some suppliers do require your address.
Yes, the eSIM for Thailand will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
Install the eSIM with a QR code from your email, chose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on mobile data and data roaming, and your virtual SIM will work. Contact the company for more advice.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.