If you’re traveling to Russia this year, make sure you don’t miss out on any adventure due to a lack of internet connection. With an eSIM for Russia, it has never been easier to connect to the internet abroad. Find out how in this article!
The eSIM (short for “embedded SIM“) is a virtual SIM card taking the tech world by storm. With an eSIM for your trip to Russia, you can enjoy cheap and fast internet on multiple devices.
So if you want to stay connected while you’re in Russia, we recommend buying an eSIM designed especially for travelers – this will save you from paying expensive data roaming charges.
We’ll explain how an eSIM works, why you should buy one, and how much it costs. You can say goodbye to expensive roaming charges with this new technology.
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM for Russia
- 2 Get 5% OFF. Code: roaming5
- 3 Cellular eSIM card providers for travel to Russia
- 4 Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Russia
- 5 Comparison of eSIM providers for Russia
- 6 eSIM features to travel for Russia
- 7 eSIM coverage for travel to Russia
- 8 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Russia
- 9 eSIM for other destinations
What you should know about the eSIM for Russia
eSIM technology is still relatively new, so not all phones are compatible. Here’s everything you need to check before you buy:
- Your cell phone must be compatible with an eSIM card. Also, check that your cell phone is supported by the carrier or eSIM card provider. The iPhone XR and later models are compatible with most providers.
- You need an email address to receive your eSIM.
- You need internet connection to activate your eSIM. Your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the provider after scanning the QR code or installation code.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
If you can’t buy an eSIM, you can purchase a physical SIM card for travelers instead.
Buy your Russia eSIM Now
Get 5% OFF. Code: roaming5
Cellular eSIM card providers for travel to Russia
If you have a compatible phone, you will be able to purchase and activate a Russian eSIM card. If your phone is not compatible, we recommend a traditional physical SIM card to Russia, which comes with 6GB of data for 15 days.
Here are the companies that provide an eSIM for Russia.
- Three HK
- United Global
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Russia
Take a look at the different packages offered to access the internet in Russia. Pay close attention to the prices of each provider, so you can choose the deal that suits you best.
Holafly plans and prices in Russia:
- 3GB for 8 days at $24 USD
- 5GB for 15 days at $34 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $47 USD
Truphone plans to travel to Russia:
- 300MB for 1 day at $8 USD
- 1GB for 30 days at $20 USD
- 3GB for 30 days at $58 USD
Three HK plans and prices in Russia:
- 3GB for 30 days at $138 USD
- 13GB for 365 days at $268 USD
TravelSim plans and prices in Russia:
- 500MB for 30 days at $19 USD
- 1GB for 30 days at $25 USD
- 2GB for 30 days at $41 USD
- 3GB for 30 days at $59 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $93 USD
United Global rates in Russia:
- 1GB for 30 days at $23.22 USD
- 3GB for 30 days at $61.93 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $92.90 USD
Wificoin rates in Russia:
- 1GB for 30 days at $29.99 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at $99.99 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Russia
|Provider||Data Plan||Days||Price (USD)||Sales channels|
|Truphone||300MB||1||$8||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Truphone||1GB||30||$20||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Truphone||3GB||30||$28||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||500MB||30||$4.72||Web, App Store, Play store,|
|WifiMap||1GB||30||$8.27||Web, App Store, Play store,|
|WifiMap||3GB||30||$22.47||Web, App Store, Play store,|
|Wificoin||1GB||30||$29.99||Web, App Store, Play store,|
|Wificoin||5GB||30||$99.99||Web, App Store, Play store,|
eSIM features to travel for Russia
To get the most out of your eSIM card, we’ve prepared some important information to bear in mind so that your trip to Moscow or any other city in Russia will be the best. We’ll also explain the differences between virtual eSIM cards and traditional physical cards.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer phone calls, only data. You can use apps like WhatsApp or Skype instead.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you’re experiencing problems with your eSIM card do not remove it from your callphone instead, contact your eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs set up APNs automatically.
- You can add several data plans on your iPhone, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data between devices.
- With your dual SIM iPhone, you can keep your local SIM when you travel to Russia.
eSIM coverage for travel to Russia
It’s important to consider your eSIM’s coverage. And remember that sometimes cheap eSIM cards have poor coverage, possibly leaving you without internet when you need it most.
Below you will find the coverage map of each operator so that you can get an idea of the extension of each of these servers in Russia.
3G MTS coverage map in Russia
Tele2’s 4G network coverage in Russia
Beeline’s 4G coverage map in Russia
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Russia
We answer the most common questions you may have before purchasing your eSIM to travel to Russia.
You don’t need to present your passport, but some providers might ask for your address.
Yes, the eSIM allows you to share data between different devices.
Install the eSIM with a QR code from your email, chose it as the default cellular data medium, turn on the celullar data and data roaming, and your virtual SIM will work. Contact the company for more advice.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.