Rio de Janeiro is such a great destination to travel to. So, to enjoy it to the top, we recommend you try a new way to connect to the internet. This new alternative will let you forget about the expensive international roaming prices and costs. We are talking about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro. With it, you will be able to use Google Maps right when you land or contact your loved ones through WhatsApp.
If you know nothing about this new technology, don’t worry. Here you will read everything about the eSIM card: requirements, where to buy it, how to use it, characteristics, coverage, and more. Let’s begin!
- 1 What you have to know about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
- 2 Where can I buy an eSIM card?
- 3 Prices and data plans from these sellers
- 4 eSIM card prices and plans: a comparison
- 5 Characteristics of the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
- 6 Coverage of the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
- 7 What local operators offer an eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro?
- 8 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
What you have to know about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
Before telling you where you can get this product, we want you to know about the requisites you must comply with to get this product. Even though this product is becoming more popular daily, some devices still cannot support the eSIM technology yet.
- You will need an eSIM-compatible cellphone since not all smartphones can support this technology.
- Once you make sure that your cellphone is compatible, you have to check if it is compatible with the eSIM card that your seller offers. Usually, they are compatible with some iPhone devices.
- You must have an email account to receive the QR code for the eSIM activation.
- You will need an internet connection to activate the eSIM card.
- Depending on the seller, you will have to install their official app to use or activate the eSIM card.
Where can I buy an eSIM card?
Once you make sure that you meet all the conditions, and that your cellphone is eSIM compatible, you have to know which sellers offer this technology for your trip to Rio de Janeiro. The eSIM card of these sellers are aimed at short trips, so your card won’t last longer than 2 months.
- Au By KKDI
Prices and data plans from these sellers
If you want to stick up to your budget, you may want to know about the prices and data plans, so you can choose the option that best suits your needs. To help you with that, we are going to show you the prices and the data plans, so you can compare them and pick the one you prefer.
The price may vary depending on the amount of data, the number of days, and coverage.
Holafly eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro with unlimited data: prices
- 5 GB for 30 days at $44
TravelSIM eSIM card: prices
- 1 GB for 30 days at $75
Au By KKDI eSIM card: prices
- 5 GB for 30 days at $47
KnowRoaming eSIM card: prices
- 5 GB for 30 days at $50
eSIM card prices and plans: a comparison
|Seller||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where can I buy it?|
|Holafly||5GB||30||$44||English, Spanish, German and French||Web|
|TravelSIM||1GB||30||$75||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Au By KKDI||5GB||30||$47||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Knowroaming||5GB||30||$50||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
In case you have never heard about the eSIM card, or you want to learn more about it because you think that it can be a great alternative for you, we will show you below some main features of the eSIM card. This way you will be able to decide whether the eSIM card is good for you or not.
- Most eSIM cards offer only data, so if you want to make calls or send messages you will have to do it using apps like WhatsApp or Skype.
- You can install the eSIM card only once after the purchase. So, if you experience any problem, don’t erase it before calling your seller’s customer service.
- Some eSIM configure the APN automatically.
- You can have more than one data plan for your eSIM card, but you can only use one at a time.
- Some eSIM cards let you share cellular data with other devices, like the Holafly eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro.
Coverage of the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
You must check the coverage you will have before you acquire your eSIM card. This aspect can affect the price. You can buy an eSIM card with so much data, but if its coverage is bad, you won’t have a great internet connection.
If you want to avoid this problem, you will have to check the Roaming contract agreements that your seller has with the cellular operators in Rio de Janeiro. If your eSIM card uses the connection of the best cellular operators in this city your coverage will be great. The Holafly eSIM card uses the Vivo network, one of the best operators in this country.
The best cellular operators in Brazil are the following:
Vivo 4G coverage map in Rio de Janeiro
Claro 4G coverage map in Rio de Janeiro
Oi 4G coverage map in Rio de Janeiro
What local operators offer an eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro?
If you have to stay in Rio de Janeiro for a long time, because of your studies or work, you may need an eSIM card from local operators. To get one of them, all you have to do is to visit any of the operator stores we will show you and ask for a prepaid/postpaid eSIM card. Since these eSIM cards are aimed at residents, the cellular operators may ask for some documents or your address.
The local operators that offer this technology are the following:
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro
If you have any doubt, you can read below the answers to some of the most frequent questions about the eSIM card for Rio de Janeiro.
No, it is not necessary, but some sellers may ask for your address. This is only for tourist eSIM cards. To buy the eSIM card from Claro or TIM you will have to provide your personal information.
Yes, the eSIM card for this destination lets you share your cellular data with other devices. Anyway, we recommend you check this with your seller.
Once you install the profile of the eSIM card, you have to choose it as the cellular data provider, turn on the data roaming, and that’s it.
Yes, just like traditional SIM cards, the eSIM has an expiration date.