Imagine being in Panama and seeing a humpback whale on one of your excursions, but not having the internet to share that wonder of nature with your friends. If you love adventure tourism, that event would be one of the best things that could happen to you, and to be able to share it with your dear ones you must always have a good internet connection, of course, without overpaying for international roaming. For this, there’s no better alternative than eSIMs to travel always connected at a very reasonable price.
eSIMs are virtual cards that you can get easily and at a very low cost since you don’t need to meet a lot of requirements to buy one. In Roaming, we will tell you how they work, their main features, and the cellular operators that offer them in Panama with their plans and coverage.
- High speed connection without surprise bills.
- Receive your QR code immediately.
- Connect to the best network.
- Forget about roaming and searching for WiFi.
- Keep your WhatsApp number.
- Easy to set up: you’ll receive an email with your eSIM in seconds, no matter where you are.
- Get 5% OFF! Code: roaming5
- 1 What you should know about eSIM Panama:
- 2 Cellular providers of eSIM cards to travel to Panama
- 3 Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Panama
- 4 Comparison of eSIM providers for Panama
- 5 Features of the eSIM to travel to Panama
- 6 Coverage of the eSIM to travel to Panama
- 7 Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Panama
- 8 FAQ about eSIM Panama
What you should know about eSIM Panama:
Not all smartphones are compatible with virtual cards since these work through a nanochip inserted in your cell phone. That’s why is so important that when choosing an eSIM you know its function very well, so you won’t have any problems when buying one.
- Check that your cell phone is compatible with an eSIM because it’s a relatively new technology, and some devices are not compatible.
- Check that your device is supported by the operator or eSIM card provider. We anticipate that the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the companies that provide virtual SIMs.
- You must have an email to register and receive your eSIM.
- To activate your eSIM you must have an internet connection since your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers. You can do this in Panama from a WiFi spot.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
If you find out that your smartphone is not compatible with eSIMs, you can always buy a Panama SIM card with 10GB or 12GB for 30 days at $40.02 USD and $51.79, respectively.
Cellular providers of eSIM cards to travel to Panama
Now that you have verified that your cell phone is compatible with eSIMs, you are surely thinking about the possibility of buying one, but before making the decision, you should get you know the main eSIM providers in Panama. Keep in mind that these companies only offer the eSIM service to people who visit the country for business or leisure.
Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Panama
Now that you’re familiar with the main eSIM providers operating in Panama, you must get to know the plans that each one offers. However, when deciding the plan that best suits your needs, you must consider that variation in prices may occur for different reasons, such as coverage, roaming agreements, and even payment methods available.
Holafly plans and prices in Panama
- 6GB for 15 days at $44
GigSky plans and prices in Panama
- 5GB for 30 days at $39.99
Nomad plans and prices in Panama
- 3GB for 30 days at $42
Truphone plans and prices in Panama
- 3GB for 30 days at $49
Comparison of eSIM providers for Panama
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||6GB||15||$44||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|GigSky||5GB||30||$39.99||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|Nomad||3GB||30||$42||English||Web, App Store|
|Truphone||3GB||30||$49||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Panama
The eSIM has several features that you should know before buying, because it may be everything you dream of in an international data plan, but it may not cover everything you need.
- You will have a dual-SIM iPhone, as you will be able to keep your local SIM when you travel to Panama. Remember to set up your iPhone to avoid surprise invoices.
- Most eSIM cards don’t offer analog calls, only data. But with the plans offered on the market, you can communicate by voice using apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- They can be installed only once, so, if you are having problems with your eSIM card, don’t delete it from your cell phone, instead, contact your eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs configure the APN automatically.
- You can add multiple data plans on your iPhone, but this depends on the available memory, although it’s only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data.
Coverage of the eSIM to travel to Panama
Traveling through Panama is a dream and if you are one of those who need to be connected all the time for work or personal reasons, you must be aware of the coverage offered by eSIM providers in this country. This usually changes depending on the agreements that each company has with the main domestic companies. So, if you buy a virtual card without knowing the coverage, it may not cover the area you’re going to visit, or you may be left without internet in certain places.
The main telecommunications companies in Panama:
- Cable & Wireless
Cable & Wireless coverage map in Panama
Claro coverage map in Panama
Digicel coverage map in Panama
Tigo coverage map in Panama
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Panama
As we mentioned, the companies detailed in the article offer the eSIM service for travelers. If you live in Panama or plan to live there and want to change your physical SIM for an eSIM, we are sorry to tell you that for now, no company offers this service in the country, but we hope they will have it available it soon.
FAQ about eSIM Panama
You’ve reached the end of our article on eSIM Panama, we hope the information has been useful, and you can always stay connected during your trip. If you still have doubts about eSIMs, here we have some frequently asked questions.
Yes, eSIMs for Panama will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend checking with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you must choose it as the default cellular data SIM, activate data, roaming, and your virtual SIM should now work.
From the moment you activate your eSIM, by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Yes, for your eSIM to get better coverage you must activate the “Cell phone roaming” or “Roaming” option. Keep in mind that if you use this option, it won’t imply any surcharge for you or any surprise invoice as long as you have configured the eSIM for your cellular data. However, we recommend you always confirm with your provider.
Yes, like physical cards, virtual SIMs also have an expiration date.
Once the contracted data plan has been used up, due to data consumption or duration, the eSIM will stop working and the internet connection will be cut off.
It’s not necessary to present a passport, but some providers do require your address. This applies only to the eSIM for tourists, and not to the eSIM offered by MTN, who will ask for your information.
Cell phones compatible with the eSIM for Panama are increasing every day. Remember that if you live in a European or Latin American country and plan to travel to Panama, it’s essential that you have a cell phone that is compatible with both eSIM and its bands. If you don’t, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones in which you can install and activate an eSIM for Panama. Make sure the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.