Martinique is a destination full of wonderful beaches, nature, and history, that you won’t want to miss. To make sure you’re able to get around and find tourist hotspots, you will have to be connected to the International internet. We recommend you forget about the expensive international roaming service and try the new eSIM card for Martinique, which will let you connect to the internet during your entire trip.
Requisites to install an eSIM card
The first thing you have to know about the eSIM card is that, since it is a recent innovation, not all cellphones can support this technology yet, and there are some conditions you must meet to install and activate an International eSIM card. You can read about them below:
- Your cellphone must be eSIM compatible. And also, it has to be compatible with the eSIM card from your provider. Most providers are compatible with iPhone XS and more recent models. To learn more about this we recommend you check our article about what devices are eSIM compatible.
- You need an active email account to receive the eSIM card.
- You have to be connected to the internet to activate the eSIM card.
- To activate the eSIM card, you have to show the QR code on a second screen, to scan it with your camera or even print.
- Do not activate the eSIM card before arriving at your destination.
- Some eSIM providers may ask you to download their official app to manage, activate, or buy the eSIM card.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card providers for Martinique
If now that you have read about the requirements to install an eSIM card you are interested in getting one, you may want to know which providers offer this device for international travelers. The international eSIM card providers offer their products for 1 or 2 months of usage.
You can also obtain an eSIM card from local providers, but going through the purchase process with them is usually more complicated because their products are directed at residents.
These are the international eSIM card providers:
- Orange (local)
It is very important to read about the data plans and prices, so you can pick the one that best suits your needs and budget. You also have to compare the prices of each provider and to help you with that, we have prepared a list. You can read it below and pick the option that best suits your needs. Furthermore, you have to know that if you are choosing a local provider, prices will be higher because you have to get a complete data plan for the eSIM card you are going to use during your trip. If you choose an international provider, you will be able to immediately buy the eSIM card, no matter where you are!
eSIM card for Martinique: data plans and prices
We recommend you also check the offered coverage. Knowing this information is very important too.
Holafly eSIM card for Martinique: data plans and prices
- 7 days with 3 GB for $37
- 15 days with 7 GB for $44
- 30 days with 15 GB for $54
Orange eSIM card for Martinique: data plans and prices
- 20 GB at $30 per month for 12 months.
Comparison table between the data plans and prices
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where to buy it|
|Holafly||6GB||15||$44||Spanish, English, German, French||Web|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Martinique
Now that you have read about the prices, we are going to tell you about the characteristics of the eSIM card, so you can learn a little bit more about this service, and you can finally decide whether it is the best option for you or not. Read the list below:
- You won’t be able to make calls without using apps like WhatsApp or Skype, since all eSIM cards offer only cellular data.
- The eSIM card for Martinique will make your cellphone become DualSIM, it will let you use your traditional SIM card and the eSIM at the same time.
- You can have more than one eSIM profile on your cellphone, but you can only use one at a time.
- The eSIM card can be installed only once, so do not erase it if you experience any problem, call your provider first.
- Some providers will offer additional advantages, like Holafly, which lets you share cellular data with other devices.
- Since it is a virtual device, the shipping is free and immediate.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
Coverage of the eSIM card for Martinique
As we already told you, it is very important to read about the coverage you will have when you arrive at your destination. Why? Because if the coverage is not good, your connection won’t be good either. You will end up without a connection in some areas, or it will be slow.
If you want to avoid those problems, make sure that the eSIM card you get can connect to the networks of the best cellular operators at your destination. In Martinique, one of the best carriers is Digicel, so if the eSIM card from your provider connects to this network, like the one from Holafly, then your coverage will be great.
Digicel 4G coverage map
What local cellular operators offer eSIM cards in Martinique?
Nowadays, the local cellular operator that offers eSIM cards is Orange, but its products are specially designed for residents, so if you want to get one, the purchasing process will be much more complicated and long. You will have to go to a physical point of sale and ask for a data plan. You can do it online, but it is not recommended because you can have problems with the installation or activation of the eSIM card. After getting a data plan you can ask for an eSIM card. During the purchase, the provider may ask for some ID such as your passport or other type of identification.
Some of the data plans Orange offers have a subscription clause, so you will have to pay a monthly fee for the plan.
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Martinique
No, it is not necessary, but some providers may need an address to give you the eSIM card. It can be the address of your hotel you’re staying at, for example.
It will depend on your provider. Some will let you do it, while others won’t.
The activation process will depend on your cellphone. But usually, you only have to scan the QR code that you receive in your email when you complete the purchase. Once you do that, you have to choose the eSIM card as the cellular data provider, turn on the data roaming, and that’s it! You’ll be connected.
You have to consider two things: the amount of cellular data you usually use, and the number of days you are going to stay at your destination. This way, you will be able to pick the eSIM card that best suits your needs. Easy-peasy!
There are many ways to connect to the internet during your trip. Some of them are very expensive or uncomfortable. International roaming service or Pocket WiFi are some alternatives.