This country is located in Western Asia, full of culture, art, and history. It has many interesting buildings, such as the Rayen Castle in Kerman, or the ruins of Persepolis, where the famous King Jerjes lived. It also has beautiful landscapes, such as the sleeping volcano Damavand, the Lut desert, and more. You probably want to share all these wonderful places on social media and to achieve that you are going to need to connect to the international internet. In this article, we’ll tell you about one of the best alternatives to connect to the internet during your trip: the eSIM card with cellular data for Iran.
- 1 Requisites to install an eSIM card for Iran
- 2 eSIM card providers for Iran
- 3 eSIM card providers for Iran: data plans and prices
- 4 Comparison table between international and local providers
- 5 Characteristics of the eSIM card for Iran
- 6 Coverage of the eSIM card for Iran
- 7 Local mobile operators with eSIM cards in Iran
- 8 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Iran
Requisites to install an eSIM card for Iran
One of the first things you have to know is that, since it is such a new product, there are some requirements you must meet to buy an international eSIM card and use it properly. You can read the list below, where you can find the conditions and make sure that you can get an eSIM.
- Your cellphone must be eSIM compatible. You can check our article about eSIM-compatible cellphones.
- You also have to make sure that your cellphone is compatible with the eSIM card from the provider you choose. Most companies are compatible with iPhone XS devices and more recent models.
- You need an active email account.
- You have to be connected to the internet when you make the eSIM activation.
- Do not activate the eSIM card before arriving at your destination.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card providers for Iran
You can obtain an eSIM card from international eSIM card providers. They offer eSIM cards with cellular data for travelers, that’s the reason why their eSIM cards won’t last longer than 2 months, only for short-term use. If you want to connect to the internet for a longer time, you can buy an eSIM from a local cellular operator. Their eSIM cards last more time, but the purchasing process is a little bit more complex since you have to live in Iran, have a passport, and get a data plan for more than 4 months.
The providers are the following:
- BNESIM (Local)
eSIM card providers for Iran: data plans and prices
Two of the most important things are the data plan and the price each company offers. So, to help you make your final decision that best suits your needs and budget, we have listed this information below, so you can compare and pick the one that you prefer.
Anyway, you should also check the coverage each company offers. We are going to talk about this later.
Holafly eSIM card for Iran: data plans and prices
- 15 days with 6 GB at $44 USD
Comparison table between international and local providers
|Provider||Cellular data||Days||Price (USD)||Support||Where to buy it|
|Holafly||6 GB||15||$44||English, Spanish, and more||Web|
|BNESIM||100 MB||1||$4||English||Web and physical stores|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Iran
Now that you know how to get an eSIM card, we are going to tell you about the main features of this device, so you can have a more clear perspective of the product you are about to buy. You can read the list below, where you will find the main characteristics:
- In most cases, the eSIM card only offers international data, so if you want to make calls, you will have to do it using apps such as WhatsApp or Skype.
- You can use the eSIM card and the traditional SIM card at the same time because your cellphone will become a Dual SIM phone.
- You can have more than one eSIM profile on your cellphone, but you can only use one at a time.
- Furthermore, you can install the eSIM card only once, so do not erase it if you experience any problem.
- Some providers will let you enjoy additional advantages, such as Holafly, which lets you share your cellular data with your friends and loved ones.
- Since it is a virtual device, the shipping is free and immediate!
- You are going to need a second screen to display the QR code and scan it with your cellphone.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Turkey)
Coverage of the eSIM card for Iran
As we already told you, you have to consider the coverage you are going to have when you arrive at your destination. Because if the coverage is not good, your connection won’t be the best. No matter if you have an unlimited data plan or tons of data, if the coverage is bad, your connection will be bad too.
To avoid having problems, you have to make sure that the eSIM card you get connects to the best networks available at your destination. If it connects to the MTN Irancell network, then you will enjoy one of the best connections in the country. The Holafly eSIM card works with this operator as well!
MTN Irancell 4G coverage map in Iran
Local mobile operators with eSIM cards in Iran
If you are planning to acquire an eSIM card with a cellular data plan that lasts more than 2 months, you can buy it from a local operator. To buy one, you will have to visit the physical store of the operator that offers this product, and sign up for a data plan that includes an eSIM card.
The local cellular operator that offers eSIM cards in Iran is BNESIM, it offers 100 MB at $3.36/day.
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Iran
No, it is not necessary, but some providers may need an address to give you the eSIM card. It can be the address of your hotel, for example.
It will depend on your provider. Some will let you do it, while others won’t.
The activation process will depend on your cellphone. But usually, you only have to scan the QR code that you receive on your email when you complete the purchase. Once you do that, you have to choose the eSIM card as the cellular data provider, turn on the data roaming, and that’s it! Easy-peasy.
You have to consider two things: the amount of cellular data you usually use, and the number of days you are going to stay at your destination. This way, you will be able to pick the eSIM card that best suits your needs!
There are many options to connect to the internet during your trip. Some of them are very expensive or uncomfortable. International roaming service or Pocket WiFi are some alternatives.