Visiting Greece is one of the best experiences you can have and if you are already 100% decided, we recommend you to visit the island of Crete, one of the largest Greek islands and full of culture in the Mediterranean, but among your tourism plans do not overlook the Internet connection abroad, because if you want to make the most of your stay and not have problems with your budget you must have this among the first items on your to-do list.
Hiring a cell phone service abroad can sometimes be expensive and so that this does not affect your trip to Greece, at Roaming we recommend international SIM cards for travelers.
On the other hand, the eSIM, as its name suggests, is a new SIM card format that works virtually, its installation is done from a QR code that the provider will supply. Its ease of use and installation is highly recommended by travelers, but you must take into account certain minimum requirements before buying one; and for that, in this article we will teach you everything from how it works, to the providers that are on the market and a comparison between them so you can plan your trip to Greece as best as possible.
- 1 What you should know about the eSIM card Greece
- 2 Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Greece
- 3 Comparison of eSIM providers for Greece
- 4 Features of eSIMs for travel to Greece
- 5 eSIM coverage for traveling to Greece
- 6 Local mobile carriers offering eSIM in Greece
- 7 Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Greece
What you should know about the eSIM card Greece
Traveling to Santorini Island to see its incredible sunset while the landscape of white houses with blue domes is drawn, should be on your list of things to do in Greece and for this to be the best experience you should not lose contact with your friends while using your eSIM, therefore, we leave you a list of minimum requirements that you should consider before buying one.
We recommend this because some mobile devices are not yet compatible with this new technology, but don’t worry, check the following list and make your trip to Greece a dream come true.
- The first thing you should check is whether your cell phone is compatible with eSIM, so check that your cell phone is supported by the operator or eSIM card provider. We anticipate that the iPhone XR or more recent versions are preferred by the companies providing the virtual SIM.
- The second thing to keep in mind, and no less important, is that it is essential to have an email address to register and receive your eSIM via a QR code.
- The eSIM to Greece can be activated from the first day. However, for this it is important that you have an internet connection so that your eSIM profile is downloaded from the operator’s servers, after scanning the QR code or installation code, all this can be done from a wifi zone.
- Some providers will require you to install their App to download the eSIM.
Mobile eSIM card providers for travel to Greece
Many say that when you travel to Athens you end up loving it and if you give yourself the opportunity to know it for three or four days you will surely end up doing it, but in order not to lose the impulse to know the Greek capital with a good internet connection, we leave you a list of eSIM providers for Greece.
Before going into detail, remember that if your mobile is not compatible with an eSIM, you can opt for a traditional physical SIM card with data, that’s all, here are the eSIM providers for Greece.
Rates and data plans from eSIM providers for travel to Greece
The idea is that you choose the best option depending on your needs, budget and travel plan, since the variation in prices may be due to coverage, previous roaming agreements of each of these companies and the available means of payment that these companies have.
Holafly plans and prices for Greece
- 3GB for 8 days at 46.55 USD
- 5GB for 15 days at 58.49 USD
- 5GB for 30 days at 70.42 USD
SIM2Fly plans and prices for Greece
- 6GB for 15 days at 37.00 USD
WiFiMap plans and pricing for Greece
- 3GB for 30 days at 90.70 USD
- 1GB for 30 days at 35.80 USD
- 3GB for 30 days at 22.67USD
TraveleSIM plans and prices for Greece
- 3GB for 30 days at 35.69 USD
- 3GB for 14 days at 28.22 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Greece
|Holafly||3GB||8||46.55 USD||Spanish, English, French and German||Web|
|Holafly||5GB||15||58.49 USD||Spanish, English, French and German||Web|
|Holafly||5GB||30||70.42 USD||Spanish, English, French and German||Web|
|WiFiMap||3GB||30||90.70 USD||English, Russian||Web, Play store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||1GB||30||35.80 USD||English, Russian||Web, Play store, App Store|
|WiFiMap||3GB||30||22.67USD||English, Russian||Web, Play store, App Store|
|TraveleSIM||3GB||30||35.69 USD||English, Spanish, Portuguese||Web|
|TraveleSIM||3GB||14||28.22 USD||English, Spanish, Portuguese||Web|
Features of eSIMs for travel to Greece
You will surely have everything ready to travel to Greece and to make your trip the best, we have listed some important features provided by eSIMs. Remember that these are usually different from the traditional physical SIM.
- Most eSIM cards do not offer analog calls, only data. For voice communication you can opt for applications such as Skype or WhatsApp.
- It will revert to your dual SIM iPhone, so you can keep your local SIM so you don’t have to change it when you travel to Aruba. Keep in mind that you must set up your iPhone to avoid surprise bills.
- Some eSIMs configure the APN automatically and may also give you the option to share data, it is best to confirm this with your provider.
- eSIMs can only be installed once, so if you are experiencing problems with your eSIM card, do not remove it from your phone and contact your provider.
- One of the biggest advantages is that you can add several data plans on your iPhone, this clearly depends on the available memory, although it is only possible to use one at a time.
eSIM coverage for traveling to Greece
We must take into account another important point when purchasing a mobile internet service for abroad, either for an eSIM or a pocket wifi, and this is the mobile coverage of the national operators, as with this information you can detail if the service they are offering you is according to your travel plan or route.
This is important because many times a cheap eSIM may not provide enough coverage in the place you are going to be. Therefore, keep in mind that in Greece the operators with the best coverage in the country are Cosmote, Vodafone and WIND; below, we present the coverage map of each of these servers:
4G coverage map of Cosmote operator in Greece
4G coverage map of Vodafone operator in Greece
4G coverage map of WIND operator in Greece
Local mobile carriers offering eSIM in Greece
Finally, if you are living in Greece and you belong to Cosmote, Vodafone or Wind and you want to enjoy the service of an eSIM, we present you the national operator of Greece that offers the service of eSIM change and support in the country.
What you must take into account, if you are a resident of Greece, is that at the moment of making this procedure, you must take into account some requirements and recommendations that each operator will ask for. Remember that this is only for residents of Greece. The operator that offers this service is:
Frequently asked questions about eSIM in Greece
We hope your trip to Greece will be a dream, to conclude we have prepared some common questions that users usually have when purchasing an eSIM to travel to Greece, if you have more, tell us in the comments!
Cosmote’s local eSIMs are mainly intended for people residing in Greece. The international eSIM for Greece from Holafly or WifiMap, is used to connect to the Internet during your trips to Greece.
It is not necessary to present a passport, some providers do require your address. This applies only for the tourist eSIM. Not for the eSIM offered by Cosmote, who will ask for your information.
Yes, eSIM for Greece will allow you to share your data to other devices. However, we recommend that you check with the provider’s customer service.
After installing the virtual SIM profile you must choose it as the default mobile data medium, turn on data and roaming and your virtual SIM should be working.
Yes, just like physical cards, virtual SIM cards also have an expiration date.
The days start counting from the moment you activate your eSIM by scanning the QR code on your phone.
The number of eSIM compatible cell phones in Greece is increasing every day. Remember that if you reside in a European or Latin country and plan to travel to Greece, it is imperative that you carry a mobile compatible with both eSIM and its bands, because if you don’t, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones on which you will be able to install and activate an eSIM in Greece. Make sure first that the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.
The eSIM is the evolution of traditional SIM cards. The eSIM works thanks to a chip inserted inside the cell phone, which allows storing and configuring the profile. To learn more we invite you to read: what is eSIM and how it works.