Are you planning to visit Cali, also known as ‘La Sucursal del Cielo’? With so much to enjoy, Cali is definitely a must-go to destination. With its festivals, gastronomy and popular nightlife you will enjoy your trip to the fullest and to make sure you don’t miss anything in this wonderful city, you will need an excellent internet connection. Here we will tell you about one of the best alternatives to connect abroad: the eSIM card with cellular data for Cali.
In case you don’t know anything about this product, don’t worry, here you will read everything you need to know: prices, data plans, where to buy one, the conditions you must meet to buy and so much more. Let’s begin!
- 1 eSIM card for Cali: what are the requisites to install it?
- 2 eSIM card providers for Cali
- 3 Prices and data plans of the eSIM card for Cali
- 4 eSIM card for Cali: a comparison between the mobile operators
- 5 Characteristics of the eSIM card for Cali
- 6 Coverage of the eSIM card in Cali
- 7 Can I get my eSIM card from local mobile operators?
- 8 Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Cali
eSIM card for Cali: what are the requisites to install it?
The eSIM card is one of the best alternatives to avoid the expensive price of international roaming. The first thing you need to know about this product is that, since it is a very recent development in consumer tech, not all smartphones can support this technology. To help you decide if it is the best alternative for you, we are going to give you a list of the requirements you must meet to buy one:
- Your smartphone must have eSIM technology incorporated.
- Your cellphone must be compatible with the eSIM card of the provider you choose. Usually, most providers are compatible with iPhone XS and other recent phone models.
- You are going to need an active email account to receive the eSIM card.
- You need to be connected to the internet when you go through the activation.
- Remember that you have to activate the eSIM card when you arrive at your destination, not before.
- Some sellers may ask you to download an app to manage the eSIM.
If your smartphone is not eSIM compatible, you can always get a traditional SIM card for Cali. Holafly offers this type of card with cellular data to use in Cali, with additional advantages such as sharing your cellular data with other devices, 24-hour customer service, and more!
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
eSIM card providers for Cali
Now that you have read about the requisites to purchase an eSIM card, we are going to tell you about the international providers that offer this product for travelers. You should know that they only sell eSIM cards for short stays, so your eSIM card won’t last longer than 3 months.
If you are planning to stay at your destination for a longer time, we recommend you get an eSIM card from a local cellular operator. We are going to talk about this later.
The international providers are the following:
- Au By KKDI
Prices and data plans of the eSIM card for Cali
You also have to know about prices and the data plans available. We have listed below the data plans and prices of each company; and, to help you compare them, we have also prepared a comparison chart, so you can pick the one that best suits your needs.
Remember reading about the coverage is also important.
Holafly eSIM card for Cali: prices and data plans
- 6 GB for 15 days at $44 USD
TravelSIM eSIM card for Cali: prices and data plans
- 1 GB for 30 days at $75
Au By KKDI eSIM card for Cali: prices and data plans
- 5 GB for 30 days at $47
Truphone eSIM card for Cali: prices and data plans
- 3 GB for 30 days at $49
- 1 GB for 30 days at $18
WifiMap eSIM card for Cali: prices and data plans
- 3 GB for 3 days at $92.44
- 1 GB for 30 days at $35.26
- 500 MB for 30 days at $18.23
eSIM card for Cali: a comparison between the mobile operators
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Support in English?||Where can I buy it?|
|Truphone||3 GB||30||$49||Yes||App Store, Play Store|
|Truphone||1 GB||30||$18||Yes||App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||3 GB||30||$92.44||Yes||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||1 GB||30||$35.26||Yes||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|WifiMap||500 MB||30||$18.23||Yes||Web, App Store, Play Store|
Characteristics of the eSIM card for Cali
If now that you have read about the data plans and prices, you are interested in getting an eSIM card, we are going to tell you about its main characteristics. Check these features below:
- Most eSIM card for travelers offers only cellular data, so if you want to make calls you will have to do it using apps like WhatsApp or Skype.
- All eSIM cards are prepared to be installed only once, so if you encounter any problems do not erase it.
- Your device will become a dual-SIM phone when you activate the eSIM card. You will be able to continue using your SIM card at the same time.
- Some eSIM cards configure the APN automatically.
- You will be able to have more than one eSIM profile on your cellphone, but you can only use one at a time.
- Some providers have additional advantages, like Holafly, which let you share your data with other devices and still have a stable connection at other destinations.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
Coverage of the eSIM card in Cali
As we told you before, the coverage of the eSIM card is a crucial aspect. If the coverage is bad, you won’t be able to enjoy your data plan, and you’ll experience low data connection, like the low speed of connection or without a signal in some places.
To avoid having these problems, you can check the coverage your provider offers in your destination. We can tell you that the best networks in Colombia are the ones from the following operators: Tigo, Claro, and Movistar. The eSIM card from Holafly connects to the Movistar network, one of the best in the country.
4G Movistar coverage map
4G Claro coverage map
4G Tigo coverage map
Can I get my eSIM card from local mobile operators?
If you are going to stay in Cali for a longer time, we recommend you get an eSIM card from local operators. You have to visit the physical store of these operators and ask for a prepaid or postpaid data plan that includes an eSIM card. You may need your ID to acquire this product.
The cellular operators that offer this product are the following:
Frequent questions about the eSIM card for Cali
The local eSIM card for Cali, like the one from Tigo or Claro, is aimed at residents, while the international eSIM card like the one from Holafly or GigSky is prepared to provide you with an internet connection during your trip.
No, it is not necessary to show your passport to acquire an eSIM card. But some sellers may ask for your address. So, you may need a temporary address in this destination, such as a hotel.
Yes, the eSIM cards for Cali will let you share your data. But you should confirm this information with your provider.
It will depend on your smartphone, but usually, all you have to do is to scan the QR code you receive in your email. Once you do it, you have to pick the eSIM card as the cellular data provider, turn on the data roaming, and that’s it!