Are you a traveling food lover and Austria is your next stop? Great! You are about to visit one of the countries with the most delicious dishes in the world with locals and chefs constantly working on traditions and adding a new twist to their recipes. In addition, if you are one of those who like to upload a delicious freshly cooked meal on social media in its full glory, you can’t go out and about without an internet connection, not for a minute. That’s why, in Roaming, we recommend the international eSIM for Austria, a virtual card that allows you to stay connected from anywhere at a very good price.
We will tell you everything you need to know about eSIMs, how they work, their main features, eSIM carriers, as well as their costs and requirements.
What you should know about the eSIM Austria
Enjoying excellent gastronomy is not the only thing that Austria has for you. In this beautiful country, you will be able to fully experience nature. Its lakes, forests, and mountains are something unique that you can’t miss and of course, you can’t stop sharing your special moments once you are in Vienna either. So, before deciding on an eSIM you should know its main requirements.
- Check that your cell phone is compatible with an eSIM because it’s relatively new technology, and some devices are not compatible.
- Check that your device is supported by the operator or eSIM card provider. We know that currently the iPhone XR or more recent versions are compatible cellphones with eSIMs.
- You must have an email to register and receive your eSIM.
- To activate your eSIM you must have an internet connection because your eSIM profile will be downloaded from the operator’s servers.
- Some providers will ask you to install their app to download the eSIM.
If your cell phone is not compatible with eSIMs, we recommend you purchase a Europe SIM Card with coverage in Austria for 30 days with 10GB or 12GB, 4G speed for only $40.15 USD.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for Europe)
Cellular providers of eSIM cards to travel to Austria
To fully enjoy your trip, you must choose the plan that best suits your needs. So, you must be familiar with the main eSIM providers in Austria, but keep in mind that these companies only offer this service to people who visit the country for business trips or leisure.
Prices and data plans of eSIM providers to travel to Austria
At this point, you must consider that the price variation can occur due to different factors, like coverage, roaming agreements, and even your available payment methods. However, you should note that sometimes a very cheap data plan may not meet your needs at 100%.
Holafly plans and prices in Austria
- 3GB for 7 days at $27 USD
- 5GB for 15 days at $34 USD
- 8GB for 20 days at $44 USD
- 10GB for 30 days at $49 USD
Flexiroam plans and prices in Austria
- 10GB for 24 days at $38.50 USD
- 7GB for 24 days at $26.60 USD
GigSky plans and prices in Austria
- 5GB for 30 days at $39.99 USD
Comparison of eSIM providers for Austria
|Provider||Data||Days||Price (USD)||Language||Sales channels|
|Holafly||3GB||7||$27||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||5GB||15||$34||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||8GB||20||$44||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Holafly||10GB||30||$49||Spanish, English, German, and French||Web|
|Flexiroam||10GB||24||$38.50||English||Web, App Store, Play Store|
|Flexiroam||7GB||24||$26.60||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
|GigSky||5GB||30||$39.99||English||Web, Play Store, App Store|
Features of the eSIM to travel to Austria
Is your smartphone compatible and are you’re thinking about buying an eSIM? Perfect! But before deciding you should know all the features that these virtual cards offer, so you won’t have any problem when purchasing one.
- Most eSIM cards don’t offer analog calls, only data. But with the plans offered on the market, you can communicate through voice using apps like Skype or WhatsApp.
- They can be installed only once, so, if you are having problems with your eSIM card, don’t delete it from your cell phone instead, contact your eSIM provider.
- Some eSIMs configure the APN automatically.
- You can add multiple data plans on your iPhone, but this depends on the available memory, although it’s only possible to use one at a time.
- Some eSIMs allow you to share data, like a Pocket WiFi.
- You will have a dual-SIM iPhone, as you will be able to keep your local SIM when you travel to Austria. Remember to set up your iPhone to avoid surprise invoices.
(You may be interested in Best eSIM for the USA)
Coverage of the eSIM to travel to Austria
You have to get to know the coverage of the plan very well, especially if you’re planning to tour all of Austria because the coverage usually changes depending on the agreements that each provider has with the main domestic companies. So, if you buy an eSIM without knowing this information, you may end up without a signal at some point along the way.
The main companies with the best coverage in Austria are:
- 3 – CK Hutchison
- A1 Telekom
3 – CK Hutchison 4G coverage map in Austria
A1 Telekom 4G coverage map in Austria
T-Mobile 4G coverage map in Austria
Local cellular operators offering eSIM in Austria
If you live in Austria and want to change your physical SIM for an eSIM, two companies currently offer this service in the country. But remember that these companies may ask you to meet specific requirements other than those mentioned in this article.
FAQ about eSIM Austria
That’s it! We have listed some frequently asked questions that travelers usually have when purchasing the eSIM Austria. We hope they will be useful to you.
After installing the virtual SIM profile, you must choose it as the default means of cellular data, activate data, and roaming and your virtual SIM should now work.
From the moment you activate your eSIM, by scanning the QR code on your phone.
Yes, like physical cards, virtual SIMs also have an expiration date.
Once the contracted data plan has been consumed, due to data consumption or duration, the eSIM will stop working and the internet connection will be cut off.
It’s not necessary to present a passport, but some providers do require your address. This applies only to the eSIM for tourists, and not to the eSIM offered by MTN, who will ask for your information.
Yes, eSIMs for Austria will allow you to share your data with other devices. However, we recommend checking with the provider’s customer service.
Cell phones compatible with the eSIM for Austria are increasing every day. Remember that if you live in a European or Latin American country and plan to travel to Austria, it’s essential that you have a cell phone that is compatible with both eSIM and its bands. If you don’t, you will be left without service in this country and you will be forced to rent or buy a new cell phone.
These are the cell phones in which you can install and activate an eSIM for Austria. Make sure the eSIM provider supports it: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20+ Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Huawei P40, Huawei P40 Pro, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4a, Google Pixel 4a XL.