Technology evolves with giant steps, and now we will be able to travel around the world without having to spend a lot of money in data. Roaming´s evolution is here to stay and we will explain everything you need to know about a Movistar eSIM.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM or Virtual eSIM is a new technology that will substitute conventional SIM cards. Its format is much smaller than usual, being 90% smaller than a nano SIM. Thanks to this detail, manufacturers have decided to install it directly in the devices they sell.
Its name is not “electronic SIM” as it may appear, it is. In this case, we are talking about “embedded SIM” because, as we mentioned before, it is integrated in your electronic device: laptop, tablet, smartphone, smartwatch, etc.
The eSIM will be attached from the manufacturer to your device (hardware), and on the other hand, you will have to download the software to connect to the corresponding operator´s network.
Wich devices support an eSIM in Movistar
At the time, Movistar allows this technology with: iPhone X, XS, Max, XR and iPad Pro. Also, you may use it with: Samsung Galaxy Watch. Movistar informs that with new technology, they will continue expanding their offers in the market.
Regarding Apple watch, you won’t need an eSIM, with a QR code it will be enough. Once you have this step worked out, you will only need to configure it from your “Watch” app on your iPhone. After, you have to go to “mobile data configuration”, introduce your Movistar user name and password, and accept the terms and conditions of the MultiSIM service.
Where to find a Movistar eSIM?
You will have various possibilities. You may localize you nearest Movistar store or call 1004 to activate your service. Just choose the option that better suits you.
The price in Movistar to activate your eSIM with MultiSIM is 11€, and you can have up to 3 additional eSIM’s. Once it is activated, you have to pay 6€ a month for the service.
Activating a eSIM with Movistar
As most devices are Apple, we will begin explaining how to activate eSIM on an iPhone.
- Activation card: Movistar will give you codes, which are called “activation card”. This way, you will get a PIN (personal identification number), a PUK (personal unlocking key) and a QR code.
- Downloading the eSIM: As if we were talking of an app, you have to download your eSIM to use your phone in other countries. First of all, you have to know is that your device must have the 12.1 or newer version of iOS. Once you confirm this, you have to go to: settings, mobile data, add mobile plan. Then scan your QR code as it appears on your activation card given to you by Movistar and press “confirm” on your device to continue the process.
Configuring eSIM with Apple Watch
When talking about Apple Watch, we have to add a couple of steps which we will explain briefly. Since it will be configured with your iPhone, the eSIM card must first be activated to correctly continue the process. The device must also have an iOS 12.2 operating system and be an iPhone 6 or older.
To continue, the watch must be a series 3 or 4, with a watchOs 5.2 or older.
- First, confirm your iPhone is connected to the internet.
- Then, activate bluetooth in settings.
- Activate your Apple Watch pressing the side button so it is turned on.
- Now bring your watch close to the phone, so it will appear “use iPhone to configure this Apple Watch”. You should later press “start” to continue the process.
- Once this is done, bring the watch in front of the phone to see if there is a message indicating they are connected.
- Finally, just configure your Apple Watch as you wish and accept all the “terms and conditions”.
Configuring eSIM to Samsung Galaxy Watch
As it happens with an Apple Watch, you must have the previous requirements met in order to configure a eSIM card in a Samsung Galaxy Watch. First, you will need an Android 5.0/iPhone 5 (with at least iOS 9) and a 1.5 GB RAM or newer. Then, go to settings, connections, bluetooth and see if the option is available during the process.
Then, verify that the phone is connected to the internet and the Galaxy Watch has enough charge for the process of configuration. If by any chance, you are already using this in another device, just go to “add new phone”.
Once this step is done, we will explain how to activate an eSIM card in a Galaxy Watch:
- First, activate the Galaxy Wearable app from your phone.
- Then pair your watch to the phone you are using and press “connect to new Wearable”.
- Now connect to the network with the QR code. When you find the correct mobile network, press “use code” to activate it with the QR scanning system.
- Scan the QR code.
- To finish, connect the device and you will be able to make and receive calls from your Galaxy Watch.
If you have any doubts, just go to the Movistar webpage. It is actually not a difficult process, but from Roamiwe suggest that, if something comes up, contact the Samsung costumer service to clarify any doubts you may have.
eSIM Movistar: Frequently asked questions
- Can I change my eSIM to another device?Right now, you may only activate it on one device for security reasons. There is a possibility to activate the MultiSIM service contracting a second phone line, but you won´t be able to use different devices with just one phone number.
- If I reset my device, do I have to re-install my eSIM? It´s important you understand that your eSIM data cannot be erased from your device. So, if you have to reset, you don´t have to worry.
- Can I erase my eSIM and then re-install it? Yes. The only requirement is that you have the QR code Movistar gave you when you got the eSIM card. If you don´t have this code, you have to go to a Movistar store to get a new one.
- Can I change my eSIM profile on one device? Yes, but it´s not as simple as just pressing a button and changing it. You have to go to: settings, mobile data, cancel mobile data plan, confirm. Then, you have to configure it again and change your profile.
- Can I block the eSIM in case my device is lost or stolen? In this case, you have to act as you would with a stolen or lost SIM. This is, call 1004 and explain the situation, block the line and ask for a new activation card to use your device as soon as possible.
Alternatives to a Movistar eSIM
When travelling abroad, we always want to spend as little as possible and have as much fun as possible, but you may not have a device that allows you to use this new technology. For this situation, in Roami we have found some alternatives for an eSIM card.
Using the usual roaming service shouldn´t be a problem, but its high price is usually an inconvenience, as the MB usually costs around 12€. To avoid overpaying in your trip, we have found a SIM card with Holafly that will allow you to use the internet without hassles.
Depending in which country you are travelling to, you may enjoy different prices and conditions, that´s why we have prepared a table so you may revise it more easily:
|Country||Tariff 1||Tariff 2||Tariff 3||Tariff 4||Tariff 5||Tariff 6||Tariff 7||Tariff 8|
|EE.UU||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15 days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
|Thailand||8 days, 3 GB 17€||12 days, 4 GB 26€|
|Canada||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
|China||7 days, 2 GB 27€||15 days, 2 GB 29€||30 days 3 GB 36€|
|Mexico||5 days, unlimited data 29€||7 days, unlimited data 34€||10 days, unlimited data 39€||15 days, unlimited data 49€||20 days, unlimited data 59€||30 days, unlimited data 87€||60 days, unlimited data 169€||90 days, unlimited data 239€|
As you can see, the most logic thing to do is to use the Holafly SIM card that most suits you and your needs, and this way, you will save a lot of money if you compare it to other alternatives that might raise the price considerably.